• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Memorable Motorcycles

WRENCH

• 9 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:06, Andy300 said:

I used one of these tanks as my only transport for a few years .. Honda CX500 .. weighed a ton, but shaft driven and just kept on going :thumbsup:

cx500-main-jpg.jpg

and water cooled, i have one of these and its brother the honda silver wing.  weight? - about halve of a harley knuckel head.  vin

Whilst some of you hard core boys will disagree surely this was one of the first genuine exotic Super Bikes

I almost bought on just to stick in the corner of my living room and look at it.

VmP37fQ.jpg?1

My mate has one of these. There were a few Jap engined derivatives but his has the Duke engine.

228971.jpg

On close inspection it's a work of art, the fit and finish is superb.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Whilst some of you hard core boys will disagree surely this was one of the first genuine exotic Super Bikes

Correction, this was. The perfect no compromise exercise in style and function. Extra power could have been had without the bends in the exhaust, but it would have looked horrible. The handling on these is amazing, and power out of corners is mental. If you don't know what you're doing, down shifting, and getting the revs wrong, you'd lock up the back wheel, and they're high maintenance.

ducati91694_01.jpg?w=660

Predecessor wasn't too shabby either,

14649.jpg

£130000 spare, and I'd have this though.

for-sale-ducati-supermono-just-150000.jp

• Like 1

I loved my MZ TS 150 and TS 250 Supa 5. Great bikes, old school but easily improved.

I  wish I had a "mint" one, even decades on.

There is something that the British like about honest, simplistic motorcycles it seems. Just my observation.:wink:

On 24/05/2019 at 22:27, WRENCH said:

Correction, this was. The perfect no compromise exercise in style and function. Extra power could have been had without the bends in the exhaust, but it would have looked horrible. The handling on these is amazing, and power out of corners is mental. If you don't know what you're doing, down shifting, and getting the revs wrong, you'd lock up the back wheel, and they're high maintenance.

ducati91694_01.jpg?w=660

Predecessor wasn't too shabby either,

14649.jpg

£130000 spare, and I'd have this though.

for-sale-ducati-supermono-just-150000.jp

Or

The predecessor of the predecessor

He has one of these tucked away at the back of his shed as well

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1

@BondandBigM  Bimota, are interesting in a lot of their design concepts, and one of the few that still push hub centre steering,

ZeG5VnP.jpg

bimota-tesi-rc-supercharger-eicma-bb3-im

Nothing new through, as seen on this 1929 Majestic.

1929-majestic-bike-photo-gallery-50055_1

Ducati's claim to fame is the "Desmo" head.

Joe Potts from Bellshill was building these in the 1950's, the heads and cam boxes were cast at Rolls Royce at Hillington.

Desmo+006.jpg

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

@BondandBigM  Bimota, are interesting in a lot of their design concepts, and one of the few that still push hub centre steering,

ZeG5VnP.jpg

bimota-tesi-rc-supercharger-eicma-bb3-im

Joe Potts from Bellshill was building these in the 1950's, the heads and cam boxes were cast at Rolls Royce at Hillington.

Desmo+006.jpg

Interesting 

His Bimota is a thing of beauty, some of the small details and machined parts are superbly made. 

What about the predecessor of the predecessor of the predecessor. 

mike-hailwood-replica-revival-625x417.jp

http://www.bikeexif.com/mike-hailwood-replica-revival

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

What about the predecessor of the predecessor of the predecessor

70's and 80's, Italian design at its finest.

ebay_162556749440_1.jpg

Laverda_500_Montjuic_07.jpg

DSC_0346-e1443815918667.jpg

I had one of these and it was superb as long as you unloaded WD40 on the electrics with great regularity, and took all the engine mount bolts out the day you got it, and covered them in copper slip.

300px-Moto_Guzzi_V_7_Sport_1972.jpg

One I would still like,

cbd56e4d692a74d6594a4a98c9b2c68d.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 24/05/2019 at 23:32, Stan said:

I loved my MZ TS 150 and TS 250 Supa 5. Great bikes, old school but easily improved.

I  wish I had a "mint" one, even decades on.

There is something that the British like about honest, simplistic motorcycles it seems. Just my observation.:wink:

Always, for day to day transport, MZ and latterly Royal Enfields, have been my choice, especially Enfield, because no one has a spares back up that even comes close. (Hitchcocks Solihull), and, once you get an Enfield sorted out, they don't give much borher.

Two of my favourite "long haul" bikes.

bought one of these new when they first came out,

XT600Z_1988_3AJ_01.jpg

but this was my favourite,

666_198820aprilia20tuareg2060020wind2088

the Aprillia had some parts common to the early BMW, Funduro, and an air cooled 560 Rotax motor, both dry sump and super reliable, and both still running around. The Yamaha was a bit of a slug when fully loaded.

• 10 months later...
On 25/05/2019 at 11:57, WRENCH said:

Simply devine

• 4 months later...

Just built this one.

Honda NX650 engine in Yamaha TT500 frame, DT125 tank, handmade leather seat, R6 forks, Honda front hub, Talon rear hub, wavy discs, 19" alloy rims, solid vintage bars, LED lights, stainless pipes and alloy 'panini' box!

-YUI6wK8BsOtPWA1nOXB9X-EvrKGUI8BBrxQ3iu2

-

Edited by marmisto
fluffed image

11 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Have we had the Quackers 

The H1, was the King. An absolutely insane thing to ride after anything from these shores at the time. I remember me and a couple of mates skiving off school to get the bus to Dundee just to look at one when it came into the dealers showroom.

https://www.cycleworld.com/when-1969-kawasaki-h1-500cc-triple-was-king/

Low double figures mpg if you thrashed them, and sometimes frightening handling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Lambretta GP.

The GP/DL range was designed by Nuccio Bertone who was also acclaimed for designing several vehicles for Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Fiat.

See the source image

Still the best looking scoot. And the Chinese are in on the act.

photo-42-1390.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biker said:

I quite like some of the Chinese designs, however, they will never beat this quintessential design ^^

That Orange  Chinese scooter and this one, (Vespa homage)

Abruzzi65.jpeg

Look ok, but I think I'd sooner spend the extra time and money seeking out a decent origonal.

• Like 1