• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Memorable Motorcycles

1 minute ago, Biker said:

Oh yeah, quite.  The Chinese ones look the part until they start to dissolve in the rain...

Yes, there's a guy round the corner from me got a "Chinese Vespa" and it looks really rough after a couple of years use, compared to a ten year old genuine one I see parked daily with about 20k on the clock. Mechanically the Chinese one seems o.k., They're both four stroke with CVT transmission.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had all three models of Bonneville. Oil in the tank, oil in the frame, and oil on the road. 

Anyone who has "misbehaved" on a motorcycle will know all about Suzukis of old. This is for sale in Zurich. Look closely and you'd see all the mods. There's a Hayabusa motor behind the fairing as well

This is what happened to mine on a fateful morning in March 2011, I didn't wake up until May you can just see my legs bottom right.

Posted Images

This might well have been posted before, and forgive me if it has but I don't have time to look back over 7 pages...but I thought it looked interesting, even if it can only go in a straight line.....I liked the line 'It brings a whole new meaning to skid marks'.....:laughing2dw:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of iconic pictures:

Rollie Free on a Vincent taken in 1948 at Bonneville at just over 150 mph.

Flat-Out-The-Rollie-Free-Story-The-Vinta

Boris Murray in 1971 at Bowling Green, Kentucky on a twin engined Triumph at 175 mph.

image.png.4a62868d9e4ac9eafd944a4f020d1d

Loaded! On a tour of France, Spain and Portugal - the return leg. Got the 1st service done a couple of days before we went away and then took it straight in for it's 5000 service when we got back.

july09-108.jpg

Me and a mate regularly do trips in Europe, one of which was circumnavigating the Spanish peninsular but my bike went west in Alicante. the excessive heat had helped the oil to evaporate, this had happened on the motorway during one of the loner legs, so it wasn't until we stopped at lights I noticed the engine sounding like a box of spanners, that was a very expensive trip....

Together we have most of mainland Europe and eastern Europe, had some great trips.

From memory that trip was:_

Caen, Quimper, La Rochelle, Poitiers, Limoges, Toulouse. We were trying to stay ahead of wet weather which was following so went over the Pyrenees to San Sebastian, Burgos, Zamora, over the mountains into Portugal ( absolutely freezing bloody cold in Mid July) to a bike rally at Chaves. Fabulous rally where they close the road off at the side of the river and all camp on the banks. All meals are free and on Saturday night the club president rents a restaurant in town to feed everybody. Downside is it can be very hot and there's no shelter.

From Chaves onto some roads which were little more than dirt tracks to take us back into Spain and Salamanca. Then onto Avila, Toledo, Motril, around the coast to Carboneras. There's a hotel built as a film set for Laurence of Arabia but never used, right on the beach. Then up through the resorts to Perpignan, Lyons, Reims and up through the Somme area to Dunkirk. About 19 days in all. Temperatures from Avila and all the way back up to the Pyrenees were in the 40's. Many forest fires.

My first bike MRB 624W, that thing stood for 12 months of absolute abuse and I still just about got my money back on it, it was bomb-proof to my last one. Went all over France 2 up and kept with my mates on Blades and ZXR’s when hooning around. Had to go towards the deposit on our first house, probably for the best as I think that my luck would have ran out eventually!

AA7E1C91-A2C5-4BDD-8D8F-2947CB297EA7.jpeg

61C610B4-B31C-4D6C-B3AA-D7C2F84B0A83.jpeg

• Like 1

Pan european. Brilliant bike. Could ride it in the rain without getting wet. Like a 100mph conservatory. Sadly even considering it's size someone failed to see me. End of pan. 

IMG_20191223_095441.jpg

FB_IMG_1574627574785.jpg

IMG_20191223_095323.jpg

Edited by lds1973
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
On 31/01/2021 at 14:00, Bow said:

My first bike MRB 624W, that thing stood for 12 months of absolute abuse and I still just about got my money back on it, it was bomb-proof to my last one.

AA7E1C91-A2C5-4BDD-8D8F-2947CB297EA7.jpeg

Nothing to beat a small 2 stroke for running around town. I had a Suzuki B120 as a winter/town bike and it was bomb proof. Can't believe how much these things sell for now. :(

Rear pegs on the swinging arm though. My wife called them "jiggly feet bikes". :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Nothing to beat a small 2 stroke for running around town. I had a Suzuki B120 as a winter/town bike and it was bomb proof. Can't believe how much these things sell for now. :(

Rear pegs on the swinging arm though. My wife called them "jiggly feet bikes". :laughing2dw:

I’d love to pick up a Gamma 250 or an Aprilia RS for a toy, not convinced that it would end well though!

Says the poor old sod sat here and wincing every time I turn my head. :laugh: Gamma brain, Goldwing back!

Edited by Bow
27 minutes ago, Bow said:

I’d love to pick up a Gamma 250 or an Aprilia RS for a toy, not convinced that it would end well though!

Says the poor old sod sat here and wincing every time I turn my head. :laugh: Gamma brain, Goldwing back!

Most fun I've had in a long time was on a de-restricted Cagiva Planet.

PLANET3-01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale

125 cc, six speed, 23 bhp (more on the one I had) and around 120kg. Hard to find an unmolested example now though.

Oh, and 30 ish, mpg.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

125 cc, six speed, 23 bhp (more on the one I had) and around 120kg. Hard to find an unmolested example now though.

Oh, and 30 ish, mpg.

I remember going to see my pal in Swindon who’d just got a CBR600, we went out with me chasing him around on his old GPX250. Flat out everywhere, throwing it into corners because if you touched the brakes it took forever to wind up again. Brilliant craic.

These things would have been great if they hadn't been plagued with reliability problems,

Kawasaki%20KR-1S%2090%20%204.jpg

they'd crack 130 mph, and weighed just over 130kg. I used to get a lot of these things to take for MOT's for a mate who owned a bike shop. 

These were good fun as well,

Yamaha-TDR250-88.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Oh, and 30 ish, mpg.

This was my Baby at 17 

50911142486_cffee2fef7_z.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wobbit said:

This was my Baby at 17 

50911142486_cffee2fef7_z.jpg

A mini "916". Excellent. Same motor as the Planet. I saw one in Inverness with over 47.000 miles on the clock, that must be a record amount of engine rebuilds. :laughing2dw:

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

A mini "916". Excellent. Same motor as the Planet. I saw one in Inverness with over 47.000 miles on the clock, that must be a record amount of engine rebuilds. :laughing2dw:

Same chassis iirc, mine blew at 11k miles then I moved it on. I’d love another one but the prices are abit strong 

Image result for honda vt500e for sale

Memorable as it was my first bike, used my student loan to get it when I first passed the test. Loved riding it though the seat wasn't very well padded, or my arse wasn't, in the wet it used to skip sideways when changing down due to the shaft drive Best moment of ownership was when my girlfriends brother dropped round one night in his CB500 begging for some chain lube as his chain was so dry and tight he didn't think he would make it home without it snapping, he literally burst into tears when I told him I didn't have any lube as I didn't need it "why?" he screamed at me "you have a bike, you must have chain lube...!" I then pointed out that during the 6 months I'd owned it and the rides we'd been on together had he not noticed it was shaft drive..... He made it home OK but had to take the car the next day as he didn't have any lube either!

24 minutes ago, Darren 66 said:

Image result for honda vt500e for sale

Memorable as it was my first bike, used my student loan to get it when I first passed the test. Loved riding it though the seat wasn't very well padded, or my arse wasn't, in the wet it used to skip sideways when changing down due to the shaft drive Best moment of ownership was when my girlfriends brother dropped round one night in his CB500 begging for some chain lube as his chain was so dry and tight he didn't think he would make it home without it snapping, he literally burst into tears when I told him I didn't have any lube as I didn't need it "why?" he screamed at me "you have a bike, you must have chain lube...!" I then pointed out that during the 6 months I'd owned it and the rides we'd been on together had he not noticed it was shaft drive..... He made it home OK but had to take the car the next day as he didn't have any lube either!

The American market had the VT 500FT Ascot.I

Honda%20VT500FT%20%201.jpg

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

The American market had the VT 500FT Ascot.I

Honda%20VT500FT%20%201.jpg

Ooh I like that.

Of all the bikes I've had, this has been my favourite, hands down.

Reliable, robust and mechanically basic enough to be easily looked after.

See the source image

On 05/02/2021 at 15:10, Biker said:

Ooh I like that.

Of all the bikes I've had, this has been my favourite, hands down.

Reliable, robust and mechanically basic enough to be easily looked after.

See the source image

Yamaha build quality is probably as good as you'll get. There's a Diversion gets parked up near me, never covered, used all year, and a colossal mileage on it, and cosmetically it still looks good. My mate has a TRX, and they're grossly underrated.

yamaha-trx850-used-guide-(1).ashx?h=493&