• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Peter-H

Bizzare IWC chrono fault

Capitulation. It's going back to IWC for the 500 quid service.

They probably won't find anything wrong. I included a flash stick with the mp4 video showing the problem...

The watch has come back from IWC.

Looks perfect.

I am a bit nervous about the ceramic however *edited*

Edited by JoT
Sales only allowed in sales section which is accessible after 50 posts
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 12:13, Peter-H said:

The watch has come back from IWC.

Looks perfect.

I am a bit nervous about the ceramic however *edited*

:laugh:

The funny thing is that the watch now gains about 3 seconds per day, after the £2200 IWC job, whereas the previous watchmaker was able to get it within 1 second, each time. Except when it was gaining 3 seconds per minute ;)

Hopefully sorted - what's ceramic on it?

Hopefully as good as new now. Maybe seek out a glacier to conduct a summer ski test, good luck with the watch :thumbsup:

Yes it looks just like new and I have a 2 year warranty on it.

It will have to go back to IWC though because (on a better measurement) it gains about 8 seconds a day.

The lesson is: never spend more than a couple of hundred quid on a watch!

What a interesting story...

I hope I am wrong, but I guess that the problem will reappear again, sooner or later…

Next time tell the one, who will service the watch, this:  He should lift the hairspring until it touches the balance bridge. I believe that the outermost coil will remain stacked to the bridge and the movement will start to go faster – this is the wrong situation… If I am right, the watchmaker must demagnetize the bridge… But, this means to disassemble all parts of it – stud holder, regulator, etc., and demagnetize all steel parts separately. If demagnetizing all together, sometimes no demagnetizing is happening at all…

Sorry I red the story just today, if I did few months earlier, It could save you about 2k…

Good luck!