• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
fv43576

Strap width discuss

Apologies if this has been asked already, I did have a search and couldn’t find an answer, It will be my first time to change my two watches strap and I measure with vernier it come 16.84mm and 16.91mm, do I need 17mm or 16mm strap???

Thanks

You need to measure the gap it fits into on the watch case - aka the 'lug width'.

If that's what is ~16.9mm then assuming you're going for a leather or fabric strap (i.e. one with some give), very slightly too big won't be a problem. Go for a 17mm strap.

1 minute ago, ziggy1024 said:

Are those measurements for the old strap(s) or the watch cases?

The both numbers is width on the case not the strap

Curious! Have to say I've never measured a strap or a case to that level of accuracy, but I'm a bit surprised - 0.9mm is more clearance than I would have expected to find. A 16mm strap will of course fit, but I think I'd be tempted to use a 17mm and 'adjust' it if necessary.

What are the watches / any photos?

I could not post my picture on this forum my first one is Poljot 17 jewel steel square face with a black screen and green luminous on needles is round in the 1980s and other is Slava gold round with mechanism at the back background and circular white label with number of days. Thanks for your help I appreciate it!

21 hours ago, fv43576 said:

16.91mm is metal should this be 17mm

Depending on what type of metal bracelet you are going to use, carefully filing 0.09mm off the end links shouldn't be difficult. It equates to 0.045mm off each side. :) Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.