• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

Genuine Question.....boredom with watches.

For those who spend thousands rather than hundreds on watches I have a question. The most expensive watches I have in general are Tissots and some Victorinox, top whack seven or eight hundred.   The unfortunate truth is that most of the better ones are untouched and I occasionally add to them but mostly play with affordable.

My getting bored with MY top end watches isn't going to break the bank, they can just remain pristine in a drawer.....No loss.

What do you do when you get bored ( if you get bored) with  thousands worth?  Maybe make a bit but I bet if you take a hit it will be a big one. 

The time in my 150 auto is 9.37 :)

Cheers

Edited by RWP
  • Like 3

I have a small number of orphan watches in the boxes, which, at the time they were timepieces of interest, not value. Suppose I could trickle feed them into local charity shops....?

mike

Edited by dobra
  • Like 1

I haven’t got bored of any yet. Maybe you only get bored because you have so much choice in your collection if you had less watches that cost more would so easily pick up something else to wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob.B said:

Flip them...emoji106.png

Squids lost....possibly, or probably ? :whistle:

I don't get bored with them... maybe one doesn't get worn for a while but then an event or something occurs where I have an excuse to put one on and it feels good and for the rest of the day you have that same feeling you get with a new watch but not having bought one.

You have to understand these watches don't go anywhere, they don't turn to dust so what difference if you wear it today , next week or next month its always gonna be there for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would sooner take a hit and get something different than have it sat in a drawer or a box not getting worn... All the watches I have now all get wrist time... That’s the whole idea isn’t it... Buy it wear it...lol

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rob.B said:

I would sooner take a hit and get something different than have it sat in a drawer or a box not getting worn... All the watches I have now all get wrist time... That’s the whole idea isn’t it... Buy it wear it...lol

Some of my better ones sit for months........I'm still glad I didn't flip them, and since they were mostly bought new, I don't have to take the inevitable hit on them :)

Price is relative; a £700 watch to you might be like a £5K or even £5 watch to others?

Selection in the first place is crucial too; pick the right one for you and you should "go off it" 

• Like 1

In the world of traditional razors, quite a few enthusiasts are happy to swap a model they don't get on with or have become bored with. Sometimes cash will also be involved in the deal, but often not. Some of the razors involved will only be worth £20 or £30, but others would sell for several hundred £ or $ on the open market. Is this kind of deal common in the watch world?

• Like 1

I've won bought /sold moved on many different watches and still do, with hindsight some I should have kept, my collection changes so never really boring although I don't have much of huge value anymore!....around 12 is all and some pocket watches, I have owned loads of Omega's a few Breitlings  Longines, Zeniths many many watches in the past when I had more money and loads from the cheep seats,

Even the ones I think I wont ever part with over the years have gone to help fund something or other,

I think a bit of variety and change is good....C'mon Rog have a dung out, get rid of a few on Ebay or here or whereever!!!!:laugh:

• Like 1

Big clear out in the offing here. Spent the last four weeks getting rid of decades worth of hoarding, and no @Teg62x you're not getting my Explorer. :laughing2dw: got some camping gear and axes though. :baby:

• Like 1

@RWP my situation is in some ways the opposite of yours in that I wear my expensive ones all the time.

I used to have a nice balanced collection of vintage and modern, mostly mid priced. I had sold off the failed experiments and wore most of the watches regularly.

Then my two special watches came along. Yes, they were expensive but I wear them nearly all the time. The Cartier is pretty much my daily work and occasional dress watch, and the Speedy more for weekends and holidays. I sometimes wear a vintage in the evening or a beater if I need to, but I do have a box of watches I seldom wear and ought to flip.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dobra said:

I have a small number of orphan watches in the boxes, which, at the time they were timepieces of interest, not value. Suppose I could trickle feed them into local charity shops....?

mike

Can I have the name, address, and opening times of the said charity shop. Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cutting edge said:

In the world of traditional razors, quite a few enthusiasts are happy to swap a model they don't get on with or have become bored with. Sometimes cash will also be involved in the deal, but often not. Some of the razors involved will only be worth £20 or £30, but others would sell for several hundred £ or $ on the open market. Is this kind of deal common in the watch world?

Trading is a fun way of both parties refreshing their collection. I love it .:thumbsup:

I like having the variety and also like the watches I own.  Sometimes I fancy wearing one watch for a few days then get a bit bored so change it.   Recently I've been wearing my GMT2 more at work when I'm suited and booted,  then at weekends wear two or three over two days to give them some exercise. 

I do regret selling some watches I've owned as values of some have risen and others don't seem to be available like they were a few years ago.   On the other hand I now have about ten watches rather than 50 ....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Never happens..... never get bored with mine.

The most expensive watch I have ever parted with was a £2k Breilting colt.... loved it , but 11 years ago I was faced with a costly service or a £1k trade in , so I flipped it into the AD for an Avenger...

Recently Flipped a £1.1K Longines and £1.6K TAG in order to fund my Omega... but again not bored with them , loved them both , but just had a watch too many for their uses....

:thumbsup:

Brown Hillman Avenger.......don’t think that was a great trade!:biggrin:

• Haha 3

One of the advantages of having a fairly largish collection is that I rarely have time to get bored of any of them as there can  often be some gap between the times I wear  each watch :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

Brown Hillman Avenger.......don’t think that was a great trade!:biggrin:

That's gonna go sailing over most peoples heads...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the last ten years I've been "bored" twice and flipped almost everything. 

First time around I took a total bath - Cartier Pasha, a couple of older Rolex and plenty of the more obscure brands - a Ball, an Ebel limited edition, a platinum/ceramic Rado.  Most of those were bought when I won a pretty big poker tournament on Ladbrokes in 2008 so it's not like I killed myself saving for them, but even so that stung, I lost thousands.

Second time around I was a member here, and I collected and subsequently flipped a box full of vintage Omega watches. A Memomatic, some Dynamics (1 & 2) and a pile of dress watches - Constellation, Seamaster, De-Ville and Geneve.  Almost all of those stayed around the forum, but all were sold cheaply because that's what happened back then - keep them in the community and sell them at "mates rates". There are only a couple I really miss (blue dial Geneve and Constellation Pie-Pan). The  I can't even think about those. One ended up for sale on a website at four times what I let it go for at "mates rates", but I won't get too deep into that since he's a moderator now...  

Anyway these days I'm a bit more careful about what I buy, I spend AGES shopping around when there is something I want and I try to buy smart. I also maintain an ebay page with exceptional feedback so I can shift anything I'm bored of on there. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

Anyway these days I'm a bit more careful about what I buy, I spend AGES shopping around when there is something I want and I try to buy smart. I also maintain an ebay page with exceptional feedback so I can shift anything I'm bored of on there. 

I would have some concerns with selling anything expensive on ebay, not just because of the fees but because there is so little protection for sellers...  you hit the nail on the head about buying smart though, if you don't buy dogs and you never pay much over the odds you make life much easier for yourself later on.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RWP said:

Certainly, I would say.  :yes:

12 hours ago, Rob.B said:

Agree 100%.  I used to have alot, most of which I never wore, just wanted them to...er...look at :huh::biggrin:.  Straitened times made me dispose of the vast majority of what I had, and now it's in'n'out; if it doesn't get worn [anymore] it finds a new home. :thumbsup:  So, it's not about being bored as such, rather your taste changes, or you just don't bond with the watch.

10 hours ago, rodiow said:

I've won bought /sold moved on many different watches and still do, with hindsight some I should have kept, my collection changes so never really boring although I don't have much of huge value anymore!....around 12 is all and some pocket watches, I have owned loads of Omega's a few Breitlings  Longines, Zeniths many many watches in the past when I had more money and loads from the cheep seats,

Even the ones I think I wont ever part with over the years have gone to help fund something or other,

I think a bit of variety and change is good....C'mon Rog have a dung out, get rid of a few on Ebay or here or whereever!!!!:laugh:

Refreshing what you have adds a bit of variety, but I've found that the handful of inexpensive watches I have now is more satisfying than what I had before.

1 minute ago, Daveyboyz said:

I would have some concerns with selling anything expensive on ebay, not just because of the fees but because there is so little protection for sellers...  you hit the nail on the head about buying smart though, if you don't buy dogs and you never pay much over the odds you make life much easier for yourself later on.

Good point about ebay.  As a seller you have to be so careful - you have to be unlucky, but careful photographing and videoing the watch as you pack it up is a good precaution.  One thing's for sure, if you 'overpay' for anything, it will hurt one way or another.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Big clear out in the offing here. Spent the last four weeks getting rid of decades worth of hoarding, and no @Teg62x you're not getting my Explorer. :laughing2dw: got some camping gear and axes though. :baby:

Cheers mate!?

still got your ghillie kettle? :whistle:

Mmmm axes you say!

14 hours ago, RWP said:

since they were mostly bought new, I don't have to take the inevitable hit on them

Would have thought you are more likely to take a hit on one bought new than on a used one.

Not got bored with any of my watches so far but do not buy often so maybe more thought/care goes into my choice. Last purchase was about a year ago but had been looking for a couple of years for what I wanted. 

Might take a hit if I sold any but I did not buy as an investment but to enjoy so not worried about losing a bit - probably far less than I have ever lost on cars or spent on holidays etc. Have some great memories of holidays but the money for those has been spent whereas I still have the watches with some value.

• Like 1