• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What happened to all the great looking watch dials?

Went to the mall today. Looked at the Rolex, Cartier, and other higher end watches, and was really surprised that the dials look is so simple and basic . Sure, it is what inside that really counts, but the dial is what you look at all the time, and it just appears to me that manufactures across the board don't seem to be putting much effort into making great looking dials anymore. The exceptions can be seen in many multi-dial watches, some divers, and of course the extremely expensive Swiss and German watches that I see in my friend's exclusive top, top-of -the -line watch magazines....they are just unreal both inside and out. But on what I saw today, it was very basic screened lettering ....nothing like the watches beautiful build of dials I remember from years ago?  Am I  the only one that has noticed this? I mean, if I am going to spend $5000 on a watch, I would certainly expect a lot more from a dial than what I saw today. Any really nice dials from recent purchases you would like to show off pictures to prove me wrong?

Ironically, with Rolex the more plain the dial, the more desirable it is. You want a flat painted dial instead of applied indeces with white gold surrounds, add another £1000, you want 2 lines of text instead of 4, add another  £1000. It's a funny market.

4 hours ago, Seikotherapy said:

Seiko are smashing the dial game in my opinion. Grand Seikos aside, the Presage line are great quality with some weird and wonderful variations, applied indices, minimal, cursive text, proportions, legibility etc

IYeUWpW.jpg

That's lovely, what model is that exactly?

2 hours ago, hughlle said:

Ironically, with Rolex the more plain the dial, the more desirable it is. You want a flat painted dial instead of applied indeces with white gold surrounds, add another £1000, you want 2 lines of text instead of 4, add another  £1000. It's a funny market.

So, a Rollie with a completely plain white dial with nothing on it, no hands either, nor a crown, missing the case and bracelet in fact...and the unnecessary movement gone too...just a plain white dial, would cost £1m :laugh::laugh:  Less really is more :huh:

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

So, a Rollie with a completely plain white dial with nothing on it, no hands either, nor a crown, missing the case and bracelet in fact...and the unnecessary movement gone too...just a plain white dial, would cost £1m :laugh::laugh:  Less really is more :huh:

In the world of rolex it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest :laugh: 

The Glashutte Original is magnificent inside, but in my humble opinion, the simplicity of the dial shown here is exactly what I was referring to. Sure, the printing quality must be top notch on that watch , too. But for that kind of money, there is so much more they could have put into the dial. But some of us like that, which is fine. And it seems to be a current trend...simple and very basic. To me, some of the Brietlings from just a few years back, the ones with all the markings around the dial...which some would call too busy...was always my dream watch. When the Seiko Presage line came out, I was really impressed with some of the dials.And of course, the fit and finish of the entire watch in Grand Seiko line, in my opinion, is very nice. To answer one posters question, I live in the USA, and the store I went to was displaying the medium line of Rolex watches, Cartier watches, Brietlings, Omegas. The latter two had some nice dials , but the first two were very basic, in my opinion. Quality made, but just really ....basic. No attempt at all to make the dial stand out. Again, just one person's opinion. I would love to own any of the watches I just mentioned...any one of them!

• Like 1

I think fashion swings this way and that. We had a few years of ridiculously large watches with a million subdials, now maybe the size is still large, but the dials are a bit more plain so they look empty? Or maybe they're getting smaller, so too much text and decor looks out of place and is being removed? I don't know.

Personally I haven't noticed my favourite brands losing any of their flair.  

5 hours ago, hughlle said:

So the ideal Rolex is basically a sterile Parnis homage. :thumbsup: