• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Karrusel

"The Orloj" Prague's Astronomical Clock.

Took a few days holiday at New Year with family members in Prague, this included a visit, amongst others, to the acclaimed early 15th century Astronomical Clock, The 'Orloj' located on the outside of the Old Town Hall.

Rather than me attempting to explain (usually badly) the history & technical details of this amazing timepiece I've pinched a couple of clips from tinternet. :whistle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_astronomical_clock

Plus a few pic's of our visit.

View from the tower of Charles Bridge...

large.IMG_4501.JPG.76b8ecdbe8466cdf494b7998ec15513c.JPG

The 18th century Klementinum Library was amazing...

large.IMG_4495.JPG.198992d71925cef21440f2dc561b8803.JPG

'Piss' sculputure in Mala Strana (Franz Kafka Museum).

The pool is the shape of the Czech Republic...

large.IMG_4500.JPG.951f93dd9d09278b096b9a77989beeeb.JPG

Dancing House Restaurant...very nice!

large.IMG_4509.JPG.637b7cb542c305597dfaa6f1586e28c3.JPG

River Vltava...

large.IMG_4517.JPG.925b059a59efde6bd6067aa7d4a8a0f1.JPG

large.IMG_4503.JPG.a5c332c8081e0fd0ac8bac50e09a9201.JPG

Very cold & rammed!

Was advised later that September was a more favourable time to visit ?

large.IMG_4504.JPG.958518e221c09e047ba70f9fa7b1e55f.JPG

Obviously had to pick up a couple of trinkets, including...

large.IMG_4587.JPG.08adee47f2ae6e12982bd8640adda5a4.JPG

Think I fit the description :biggrin:

large.IMG_4586.JPG.ae84cd63b8d445e1fd486aaad096bb3c.JPG

large.IMG_4588.JPG.202bc144c0e9d66bfae64f7d61ea5b52.JPG

Plus some reference material, memory not what it was (if any)...

large.IMG_0127.JPG.9eb8792d2da4b33e0f75af94082187fa.JPG

If anyone should visit Prague I highly recommend the above places of interest, particularly the 'Orloj'

Thanks for reading.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous, Alan! How does it compare for you to the da Dondi clock?  I must go to Prague one of these days! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve @AVO

The 'Orloj' is magnificent!

We was informed that further restoration works were scheduled in the weeks following our visit.  Vast amount of expertise & money have been invested in preserving this horological marvel.

An image from the occupation in WW2

Image result for free images of the orloj prague in the 1940's during german occupation

Of all the timepieces that I have been fortunate to see & experience, Giovanni Dondi's 'Astrarium' is the particular favourite of mine.

Although the example in the International Museum of Horology in La Chaux-de-Fonds is a later reproduction of Dondi's 14th century creation (recreated from Dondi's original detailed plans), still remains a tour de force, IMO... 

Image result for free images of giovanni dondi astrarium dondi astrarium

The whereabouts of the original have been lost since about 1630 ?

Possibly, like yourself, Steve, I am a lifetime 'learner' (believe it or not).  The back story is so important too me, so I can fully understand, appreciate the skill, passion & dedication craftsman put into these creations.

Back to Prague, well worth a visit, IMO, but like everything else good preparation beforehand pays dividends.

I understand our very own Sultan @BondandBigM recently paid a visit here, I'm sure he will offer his experiences/recommendations. :biggrin:

• Like 2

@Karrusel 

Well, Alan, you have the advantage over me as I have not seen either. For me the Harrison clocks at Greenwich are a very emotional experience.

• Like 2

I paid the price in Prague - - sat at one of the cafe bars in direct line of sight opposite the clock with a beer and burger, fabulous to see it, but the "McDonald's Happy Meal" type snack cost at least three times what the same was costing away from the square and the clock. :whistle:

We stayed at the Hotel Rott which is literally just around the back of the Clock right in the centre. Great location for a city break and not too dear for roughly a four star as part of a jet2 package, although next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. We could walk to almost everything, but had fun working the public transport as well.

Usual Caveats apply, - - stay away from the obvious bars next to touristy attractions - - rip-off time. Charles Bridge is very Bohemian with "free" things to do and look at, music, art and so on!

Enjoy, it is a go-to destination!