• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My first Rolex watch purchase

Joseph T

Good afternoon, 

I am fairly new to this Watch game so apologies in advance if some of the questions I ask or a bit dumb. 

I am looking to purchase a sub Mariner Rolex 116610LN privately. The gentleman has the box, papers and Original payment receipt from mappin and Webb. It all looks legitimate but I was just wondering what extent the fraudsters go to? 

He is willing to meet me at any watch dealership for them to take a look around the watch and I have spoken to Mappin and Webb who can look at the  receipt number.

I have spoken to a few local dealers who are happy to look at the watch but will not take the back off as it is only year old and this will void the warranty. I know you always run the risk when buying a watch privately but this looks on the face of it all Lidget. 

Could anybody spare some time for some advice for someone really keen to step into the wonderful world of fine watches. 

Thanks in advance for reading my posts and for any comments,

kind regards 

Joe

It sounds legit to me.... The seller seems to be offering every option to ease your mind But just because you can check the receipt doesn’t mean it’s genuine... I would meet him at a Rolex AD to have it checked over before any deal is done. I’m sure they can check the numbers over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you seen the receipt and does it show where the guy lives. If so, can you do a drive-by? If he lives in a decent house etc then I would put more faith in it being genuine than if he lives in benefit street.

I know there could be many reasons why a genuine owner may now be living in benefit street e.g. loss of job through illness and loss of everything else from divorce BUT........

Thank you Rob and monty for taking to time to reply. I am just very new to this but have caught the bug for watches! 

What would buying a link an able me to do?

would that be the bit of work I would give the watchmaker in exchange for taking a look over the watch as Oppose to just walking in and asking them? 

I feel cheeky just walking in there any asking the to look at it for me. I haven’t build up a Ripoll with a watchmaker in Birmingham where is gentleman is from. 

That is a good shout Richy, I haven’t seen it all yet, I am due to meet on Thursday at a AD. 

I could maybe ask him for some further info. He was on holiday in Mexico when I rang him though. Haha :tongue:

1 hour ago, Joseph T said:

Thank you Rob and monty for taking to time to reply. I am just very new to this but have caught the bug for watches! 

What would buying a link an able me to do?

would that be the bit of work I would give the watchmaker in exchange for taking a look over the watch as Oppose to just walking in and asking them? 

I feel cheeky just walking in there any asking the to look at it for me. I haven’t build up a Ripoll with a watchmaker in Birmingham where is gentleman is from. 

That is a good shout Richy, I haven’t seen it all yet, I am due to meet on Thursday at a AD. 

I could maybe ask him for some further info. He was on holiday in Mexico when I rang him though. Haha :tongue:

As far as I know by buying a link the AD will check the serial number etc and and if it us fake/stolen it will be identified 

• Thanks 1

As far as I know by buying a link the AD will check the serial number etc and and if it us fake/stolen it will be identified 

Would the AD not verify the authenticity for a fee Monty... I don’t know a bit out of my price range so never dealt with any of the dealers...

By buying a link you are in essence having them authenticate it for a fee. 

Per the original post though, people will go to every extent imaginable to pass off a fake as the real thing.

While there are some knowledgeable members, this isn't really the kind of forum where high(er) end watches are discussed much. Have a peek on TZ and you'll see just how crazy the fake market can be, and the extent they will go to. 

Check numbers match papers, then check the Rolex logo on the credit card with UV pen/torch.  Shoddy paperwork is the best giveaway at the moment, the watches are close to perfect *shudder*.

Better still, just buy new from the AD, can't be much more expensive if you don't mind waiting a few months. 

• Like 1

By buying a link you are in essence having them authenticate it for a fee. 
Per the original post though, people will go to every extent imaginable to pass off a fake as the real thing.
While there are some knowledgeable members, this isn't really the kind of forum where high(er) end watches are discussed much. Have a peek on TZ and you'll see just how crazy the fake market can be, and the extent they will go to. 

I told him to go over to TRF...

7 hours ago, Rob.B said:

Would the AD not verify the authenticity for a fee Monty... I don’t know a bit out of my price range so never dealt with any of the dealers...

Not as far as I know, the link purchase is the cheapest option as far as I know 

Some Rolex AD’s get a bit uppity if you go in with the person you are buying a watch from privately. You both are using their expensive store to conduct a private transaction. They may even show you the door unceremoniously. Having worked in a Rolex AD for 24 years, I can vouch for that actually happening 

Just do as some others have said and buy the seller, and be careful. I personally wouldn’t buy an expensive, easily faked item like a Rolex watch from a complete stranger. Especially if you’re not 100% about the watch. If you buy from a bricks and mortar second hand dealer, your chances of being stitched up greatly diminishes 

Edited by Omegamaniac
  • Like 1