• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
longplay

More watches or more expensive watches?

I started off buying cheap vintage British watches.  I used to be able to get a regular 'buzz' from buying 1 or 2 a month that took my fancy, with nothing costing more than £40-£50 and some costing a lot less (but requiring some TLC).  I just loved tinkering with them and cleaning them up.  As it's become more expensive to buy these watches (the price of Smiths watches seems to have gone up a lot in the last few years), I've started to become more careful and also start to expand the range of my searches.  I've now bought a couple of (to me) expensive watches - a poljot chrono and a speedmaster pro.  I think I'll be buying fewer watches in future, but probably more in the £100 to £500 range.  The problem for me is that I'm a hoarder and can't see me selling any of my watches!

15 hours ago, Seikotherapy said:

Not all inexpensive watches are crap though.

I’d try different sizes, styles and brands without crippling yourself and then up the ante once you are buying with more confidence and know what you like.

It would be easy to make an expensive mistake if you haven’t played the field a little first.

Totally agree with this post.

I've gone from one watch to about 15 in a little under a year mostly in the £100-250 bracket, although I've only bought one in the last three months. Finished playing the field I think.

Now if only I can shift half of them and get that Shogun I was originally lusting after .:laugh:

Edited by BobJ
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BobJ said:

Totally agree with this post.

I've gone from one watch to about 15 in a little under a year mostly in the £100-250 bracket, although I've only bought one in the last three months. Finished playing the field I think.

Now if only I can shift half of them and get that Shogun I was originally lusting after .:laugh:

That’s where I’m at, finally got round to moving some cheapies on this week after a recent splurge.

If you love something, set it free!

If I like it and can afford it, I'll buy it.  I have an eclectic mix but I just can't bring myself to sell any of them, I must be hovering around the 60/70 mark now...:blush: