• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
alxbly

Holiday/vacation watch criteria

I thought about this recently. For me the criteria is a watch that:

1) I'll enjoy wearing.
2) ‎I don't need to worry about. This means it's going to be one that's relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable should the worst happen (it never has before though)... 
3) ‎Doesn't need any extra insurance.
4) ‎Decent water resistance required - at least 100m, so that I don't need to take it off to jump in the pool. 
5) ‎Something I can dress up or dress down, not too casual but not too dressy. 

I had a few which were considerations. The SKX007 is a pretty good choice but the dial is a bit flat.

My Casio G-Steel was also a consideration because it robust, chunky and there's so much going on, I really enjoy it.

However, the watch I finally decided on was this, the Seiko Sea Urchin:

And the array of NATO straps mean I can change it's look every day, so I only need to take one watch (I may regret this). :laugh: I rarely wear NATO's except in holiday; live in Scotland, and NATO's lose their appeal in cold weather, imo. It's 100m water resistant and I don't mind if that bezel ends up with a few minor scrapes because they'll be holiday memories...

:)

• Like 1

Agree with most of the criteria, but a GMT hand is also a requirement for me in a holiday watch.

Also, I'm not going to wear an expensive watch to a country where the affluence level is low - having a Rolex or similar on my wrist in places like the Dominican Republic or The Gambia, where many people don't even have electricity, just seems wrong.

Just back from Vietnam, and brought two Seikos with me - a SUN019P1 for daytime and a SUN035P1 (but on a waterproof "leather" strap) for evenings.

• Like 1

1. Needs to be a watch I can wear without getting bored of it 

2.  Appropriate to the surroundings.  It may be OK wearing your recognisable expensive kit round the hotel pool but maybe not when you're out downtown in some countries.  Having said this I've worn my SMP all over the world with no issues although I've always worked  it while swimming in the sea rather than leave it on the beach. 

• Like 1

Mostly this.

large.1516445073479-1185994517.jpg.18012f209647f6c08df701d5de9ae855.jpg

58 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

And a back up just incase I get trollied and lose the first one falling in the pool

What, no Zippo ? :huh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

What, no Zippo ? :huh:

Yep loads 

6hPva8.jpg

But they are totally useless after they have been at the bottom of a swimming pool and have you tried taking a can of petrol on a plane recently ??? 

:laugh: :laugh:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Yep loads 

6hPva8.jpg

But they are totally useless after they have been at the bottom of a swimming pool and have you tried taking a can of petrol on a plane recently ??? 

:laugh:

I know, felt a right p#=+k when they chose to swab my (clear) pot of Vaseline once. :(

Edit:

Then having to explain what it was used for. :biggrin:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Then having to explain what it was used for. 

Inhibiting verdigris ?

20 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Ageing did come into my explanation.

:biggrin:

That should read better, too much wine at lunchtime. :)

The heir hunters paid (for once). :biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

That should read better, too much wine at lunchtime. :)

The heir hunters paid (for once). :biggrin:

I’ve had that promise time after time......never happens :(   I always seem to be the one who pays promises notwithstanding.

Ive taken a stand........I dine out with the Boz only :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

This is what I’d pick from my collection, my home-built.

MK2 (3)

Waterproof to 100m, check.  Casual on a leather strap, check.  Super-casual on a NATO, check.  Smarter on a steel bracelet, check.  Stainless steel case and sapphire crystal should be tough enough and, since I put it all together, I guess I can have a decent stab at fixing any damage on my return... It has pretty significant sentimental value, but lower cash value means it will just cost a bit more time to replace it if the worst happens.

J

• Like 1

Never take on vacation something you'd grieve if lost. I know, contradicts the desire to take one's favorite toys, clothing, hobbies with one. But the reality is that one incident of lost luggage, a chance run-in with a capungo in an alley, hotel room theft, or any number of other gambols, and your favorite watch is now a memory, and you can't even stick around to investigate. 

• Like 1

I take the only resin-cased, quartz watch I own - a Casio G-shock.  I bought it solely to take on holiday with me - I don't want to make myself a target in a place/country that I'm not familiar with.  Maybe a bit over cautious, but I also don't own any 'proper' divers watches - yet!

5 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Never take on vacation something you'd grieve if lost. I know, contradicts the desire to take one's favorite toys, clothing, hobbies with one. But the reality is that one incident of lost luggage, a chance run-in with a capungo in an alley, hotel room theft, or any number of other gambols, and your favorite watch is now a memory, and you can't even stick around to investigate. 

This is the overriding one for me, heard too many tales of watches going missing... from wrists, from apartments, from safes. However, I may take another cheap Casio to mix things up a bit - I'm particular fond of this one but, crucially, it's easy to replace and it only cost £20:

I just noticed the 200m water resistance... And it's a world time. I think this might be coming with me too! :biggrin:

I normally just take my Tag Aquaracer. Smart enough if I go out to a restaurant and can be worn on the beach, in the sea and around the pool.  

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, alxbly said:

This is the overriding one for me, heard too many tales of watches going missing... from wrists, from apartments, from safes. 

If I worried about that sort of thing I'd never leave my flat. 

I've worn a Rolex of one sort of another all over the world in all sorts of places off the tourist map and never had an issue. 

I blame the Internet 

These days to many people believe everything the read on it. 

• Like 1

I have to say my one and only:

20180311_204351.jpg

1) Very reliable

2) Goes with everything

3) Already beat up to death so no worries of destroying it further :tongue:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I blame the Internet 

I blame the crooks. (Though there's some Brit TV show on Netflix that highlights travel horror stories. Fortunately, they cap each epi off with some sensible advice for travelers.) When I was in my final USCG assignment, I had access to US State Dept. cables from embassies worldwide on the SIPRNET, including reports and summaries of  crime reports against tourists, travelers. These all feed into a sausage factory that spits out the US DOS travel advisories to citizens who request same. Most were pretty mundane, but some a bit hairraising (like the scuba boat trip operator who was raping women at knifepoint, including a newlywed on her honeymoon raped underwater while her hubby was topside). Does this mean it was common? Hell no. But it does happen.

I suspect your luck is equal parts savvy, imposing presence (do you think a tyke would have a go at you with 100% assurance of coming out unscathed? doubtful, one good belch ignited with your Zippo and you'd scorch the bugger), situational awareness, NOT "it's safe out there." 

• Haha 1

Nothing on a bracelet if it’s a warm destination - swelling from heat can make this a grim affair.

Something fun and waterproof that I don’t mind picking up scratches for the beach (Amphibia is a good shout)

d6LsXsa.jpg

Usually my SNZG09J1 for more adventurous trips. Despite it’s sentimental value as a wedding gift it was picked out for the honeymoon. It has been on a number of great subsequent trips and carries lots of special memories. 

acNZOVu.jpg

A second watch (or strap option) for more dressed up evening activities.

For long haul my recently acquired GMT (thanks @Doolittle!), which will be coming to Canada with me next month.

UuUjUMk.jpg

I don’t think I’m capable of only taking one watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

I blame the crooks. (Though there's some Brit TV show on Netflix that highlights travel horror stories. Fortunately, they cap each epi off with some sensible advice for travelers.) When I was in my final USCG assignment, I had access to US State Dept. cables from embassies worldwide on the SIPRNET, including reports and summaries of  crime reports against tourists, travelers. These all feed into a sausage factory that spits out the US DOS travel advisories to citizens who request same. Most were pretty mundane, but some a bit hairraising (like the scuba boat trip operator who was raping women at knifepoint, including a newlywed on her honeymoon raped underwater while her hubby was topside). Does this mean it was common? Hell no. But it does happen.

I suspect your luck is equal parts savvy, imposing presence (do you think a tyke would have a go at you with 100% assurance of coming out unscathed? doubtful, one good belch ignited with your Zippo and you'd scorch the bugger), situational awareness, NOT "it's safe out there." 

OK forget the Internet you've been watching to much TV and believing everything you see

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

If I worried about that sort of thing I'd never leave my flat. 

I've worn a Rolex of one sort of another all over the world in all sorts of places off the tourist map and never had an issue. 

I blame the Internet 

I agree that you can't believe what you read on the internet... or anything in the tabloid press either. :)

However, the examples I gave were sadly not internet (or TV), hence my caution. None of which will stop me having a great holiday, quite the opposite! I'm not bothered if my Seiko 5 gets a few holiday scrapes. :biggrin: :drinks:

• Like 1

I have the same problem going on holiday as I do at home. I'll maybe pack a brown strap one, a black strap one, a bracelet one, one that I'm happy swimming in, a dressy one, a beater, whatever I've recently bought and the novelty hasn't worn off yet and whatever I'm wearing when we leave. Usually keeps me going for a weekend away. Not sure I own anything I'm worried I'd get mugged for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1