• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jason89

First seiko recommendations

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have recently introduced myself in the introductions topic area. Bit of background on me; I have always liked watches and have recently purchased my first “luxury watch” in the form of a brand new breitling colt automatic.

I mentioned in the intro area that since browsing the forums I have discovered Vostok and I am now awaiting arrival of my first Russian watch. Following on from this I am now in the market for a Seiko. Until joining the forum I had no idea Seiko were so highly rated! typical newbie I guess. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for my first Seiko? Preferably I want an automatic movement, exhibition case back but not essential. I’m not too fussed on the strap material.

I've used the search feature but can’t seem to find much with regards to recommendations for a first Seiko purchase. 

HELP ME!! 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

My recommendation would be a turtle or an SKX007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All depends on what type of budget you have for one

Ok thanks for the replies, I’ve had a look at the SKX007 and it’s a great looking watch and is a definite contender! You’ll have to forgive me for asking but is a sea urchin a nickname for a particular model? I can’t find one by that name :hmmm9uh:

Sorry mate, like many on here I'm useless at posting pics! It's officially the SNZF17K1 (J1 is Japanese made version). Go on Creation under Divers and it's their cheapest, actually at £98, a cracking all-rounder. As suggested the SKX007 is a great classic but you'll have to pay more. Good luck anyway Jason

Ah yeh managed to find it, also a nice looking watch! Thanks for your input and I shall be purchasing one of the above models on payday :) 

If you already have a Breitling, I personally wouldn't bother with the lower end Auto Seiko's unless that's the kinda thing you are after of course ... depends on your budget ?

For a couple hundred or so more, I'd go for the Sumo (blue or black, depending on your preference) .. its a watch I haven't yet got .. but I deffo will have at some point, I think its a stunning watch and certainly a dive icon to boot :thumbsup:

Image result for seiko sumo

Image result for seiko sumo

Hi Andy, thanks for your input. My budget is up to about £500 so the sumo would be in that price range. For me it seems that the sumo is similar to the 007 tho? I’m not that knowledgeable about Seiko so I could of course be completely wrong. What would you say justifies the extra few hundred jump from the 007 to the sumo? I like the look of both models so aesthetically I can’t really separate them. 

10 hours ago, Jason89 said:

What would you say justifies the extra few hundred jump from the 007 to the sumo? I like the look of both models so aesthetically I can’t really separate them. 

Apart from the more refined movement (6r15) .. it is a little larger than the 007/009, and if you see reviews on t'interweb, you'll see people raving about the case of the Sumo, and its general design/quality etc. especially for under 500 squid

For me, its probably just the look I guess .. I think Seiko got it bang on with the Sumo, playing second fiddle only to the MM300 (SBDX001), which kind of sums it up .. punches well above its weight IMO :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Jason89 said:

recommendations for a first Seiko purchase. 

By law you must have a Seiko 5 in your collection. :thumbsup:large.1515058900266-1658758509.jpg.a3068f0e26574ef40cf0146441ade28e.jpg

• Like 2

For something a bit different, which will probably become more sought after since it has just been discontinued, how about the Seiko Alpinist? I do like a lot of the Seiko divers, but they all look a bit like each other, and also resemble models from other manufacturers to some extent, whereas the Alpinist is pretty much unique.

• Like 1

Wow ok it seems like I have a lot to think about ha. I’ve got a feeling that I might end up getting more than just one of the suggested models over time, guess I better start looking for a display box as well :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

Seiko have a wide range of models from professional divers, to their prestige line Grand Seiko, tool watches, dress watches. My earliest purchased watch that I still have is a Seiko 5. The “5” line is a value line that boast common features: automatic winding, date display, shock and dust resistance, some basic water resistance. Very affordable, great quality for the price.

You could spend a day searching the Internet for all the Seiko 5 variants and still not be done.

Since you’re starting, you might want to search for “SOTC” (state of the collection) posts to see what others have. Some focus on particular styles, brands, eras even, others have a variety of dress to business, to sport, to professional tool watch. It’s all a matter of personal interest and passion.

Best of luck in your journey…! Learn to post pics, we’d love to see your new Vostok. ;)

Ah ok I shall search that and have a read chromejob, thanks for the heads up. I’ve just had a quick read of the thread about posting pictures, I’m going to have to sign up to a hosting site. I will do my best to get a picture of my Vostok up as soon as it arrives (hopefully within the next 3 weeks or so). Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread so far! You’ve been a huge help.

1 minute ago, Jason89 said:

I’m going to have to sign up to a hosting site.

Use the forum gallery. Its only £5, and easy to use.

12 minutes ago, Jason89 said:

Do I have to reach a certain amount of posts to be able to use it? Or just simply pay the £5

Not sure. Try adding it "to cart", if you need posts it'll inform you. :thumbsup:

The correct answer for low end is the classic pick - SKX007 :yes:

Mid price I'd go for the Sumo (SBDC031) :thumbsup:

...and top end for me would be the MM300 (SBDX001 or newer model SBDX017) :thumbs_up:

The correct answer for low end is the classic pick - SKX007 :yes:
Mid price I'd go for the Sumo (SBDC031) :thumbsup:
...and top end for me would be the MM300 (SBDX001 or newer model SBDX017) :thumbs_up:

Need a big wrist to rock one of them ingots...lol I would love one but I know I couldn’t get away with the weight of it
Have a look at the Seiko SBDC051 and SBDC053 mate

On 16/03/2018 at 13:34, Cutting edge said:

For something a bit different, which will probably become more sought after since it has just been discontinued, how about the Seiko Alpinist? I do like a lot of the Seiko divers, but they all look a bit like each other, and also resemble models from other manufacturers to some extent, whereas the Alpinist is pretty much unique.

The Alpinist is a good shout, be quick though, I have also heard they are being discontinued as Cutting Edge has mentioned. I wear one as my daily wearer on a nato, fabulous watch. 

In fact, for your budget you could get an Alpinist and an Skx007k2 with enough change for dinner out! 

Edited by Allthingsmustpass
Misspell

Hi everyone,

just thought i would would come back with an update. I have had a read of the thread about posting pictures and following on from that hopefully I’ve sussed it. Fingers crossed.  chromejob mentioned about posting a pic of my Vostok when it arrived so here goes! As of yet I still haven’t purchased a seiko but I think I’ve settled on a 007, I’ve read lots of reviews from various sources and I just seem to be drawn to it. Unfortunately it will have to wait until next month now due to holiday payments eating into my watch fund :(73A1A7BA-24D5-4A43-83C6-EB2871F910CC_zps

My apologies in advance, I didn’t recentre the bezel prior to taking the picture. That might mess with people’s OCD side a little

I felt compelled to add a picture of my colt automatic that I mentioned in my first post.F0EB1EBE-C829-46FD-B857-A71ADF9F1F3D_zps

• Like 1

If you want something a little rarer you could go for the SKX009J - the J signifies that it's built in Japan and for the japanese market;

The differences are subtle - the J version has '21 JEWELS' on the face and MADE IN JAPAN at 6 o'clock.

97_C1_B4_C3-_DD6_C-45_CE-_AE66-3546_A495

PS - Photobucket doesn't let you link images anymore.

postimage.org is a good alternative.

Are you dead set on an automatic? Why not go half & half - get a Kinetic - quartz accuracy but mechanical power generation. This is mine, RRP is £300 but you can get them brand new for around £130 as I did, at which point it's an absolute bargain:

CmP5ims.jpg

Dj5kD4h.jpg

8 hours ago, Wheelnut69 said:

PS - Photobucket doesn't let you link images anymore.

postimage.org is a good alternative.

Ah ok I did wonder why my pictures didn’t show up. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll take a look at post image.org :)

The 009 quite rightly so is up there with choices for me. I may regret saying this, but I’m not 100% sure the Pepsi bezel is for me. It might grow on me over time! 

1 hour ago, DryEagle said:

Why not go half & half - get a Kinetic - quartz accuracy but mechanical power generation. This is mine, RRP is £300 but you can get them brand new for around £130 as I did, at which point it's an absolute bargain:

This is a lovely looking watch, I like the exhibition back on it.

Have any of you guys had experience buying from creation watches at all? Some great prices on there but I may incur some customs charges.