• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WWW's aka The Dirty Dozen

trident-7

41 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

In the early seventies Pride and Clarke were selling these for less than £10.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4WRwQ_Ge0ZE1bh8MmzZ9

In 1974 the first watch only auction was held in Geneva.  A buyer missed out on a Patek Philippe 2499 perpetual calendar chronograph at 12,000 CHF, which was the price of a small house then.  He walked around to Patek Philippe's shop and asked if they had any, and they produced two NOS examples - the price was 6,000chf each.  He bought both.

Now they are worth £1/2 m each!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

JLC WWW. In my opinion the most disappointing of the WWW's. Although I like the Cathedral hands & the movement is very nice. I just don't like the finish on the case, the Stainless Steel WWW's appear superior. It's one of the smallest of the WWW's too, although the lugs are quite long which compensates to some extent.

jLBDuMBl.jpg

iEsYgoNl.jpg

• Like 2

IWC WWW, aka Mark X. This was my first WWW and I believe it has it's original Radium dotted markers. Probably the best movement of any of the Dirty Dozen, the sublime cal. 83. The IWC is the odd one out of the 12, being the only one with a snap on back. All of the others are screw on. 

SH2Z6sll.jpg

mSVYZDal.jpg

ASkUbjAl.jpg

• Like 1

All of the WWW's are from 1945. It's common to have marks made by watchmakers when servicing watches, although I don't think that the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (REME) who were responsible for maintaining these watches during their active service usually did such a thing. I don't think any others of mine have marks scratched inside the case back. When I posted a picture of my Vertex on the Military Watch Forum, one of the members pointed out the MoD dial & hands & predicted that there would be "R 1964" marked inside the case back & he was correct.

Going back to the Longines, one of my two has an interesting history. The watch was dug up in a field in Wales by somebody using a metal detector. It must have been lying there for many a year. Judging by the lack of tool marks on the back, I suspect that it has probably spent nearly all of it's life in the Welsh mud. The watch was expertly brought back to life by the legend that is John Senior, sadly now retired.

The story is detailed in this thread http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?74710-Longines-WWW-freshly-dug-!CVWqZZZl.jpg

ysohLk6l.jpg

U4iTyESl.jpg

GVXZQ1zl.jpg

The photo below was taken when I took the watch back to Wales. i like to wear this one more than all the others. I think it deserves to see the light of day after all it's years spent in darkness.

X91CFzyl.jpg

• Like 2

Probably the easiest of the WWW's to find. 25,000 were made which was the highest number of the 12 brands, equalled only by the numbers of the Omega. I found it hard to get a good example of the Omega though, due partly to the fact that there are few good original-dialed examples for sale. Also the Omega seems to be faked or have poorly refinished dials more than any of the others so you have to be careful what you buy.

8ebblcml.jpg

ZvZxksCl.jpg

1 minute ago, trident-7 said:

Record WWW. Probably the easiest of the WWW's to find. 25,000 were made which was the highest number of the 12 brands, equalled only by the numbers of the Omega. I found it hard to get a good example of the Omega though, due partly to the fact that there are few good original-dialed examples for sale. Also the Omega seems to be faked or have poorly refinished dials more than any of the others so you have to be careful what you buy.

8ebblcml.jpg

ZvZxksCl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My sole remaining 'WWW' the Omega. I had a few others but gradually sold them to fund other stuff. The Omega was the first I bought and remained my favourite so really I didn't want to part with it, same goes for my RAF Omegas and RAF Jaeger Le-Coultre.

DSCF3754

Edited by rubbatiti
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2018 at 19:57, rubbatiti said:

My sole remaining 'WWW' the Omega. I had a few others but gradually sold them to fund other stuff. The Omega was the first I bought and remained my favourite so really I didn't want to part with it, same goes for my RAF Omegas and RAF Jaeger Le-Coultre.

DSCF3754

I'm not sure that dial is correct for an Omega WWW. It's not an "original" dial & I also don't think it's a MoD redial. As far as I know the A in Omega should always be flat-topped. The numerals & pheon are also wrong. Do you think it's been redialed or refinished?

• Like 1