Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
yokel

Oh Dear — I’ve been brainwashed

Recommended Posts

 

Poor weather this morning, so I arranged my taxi to Heathrow in plenty of time. Roads were empty, so I had lots of time to kill in the terminal (always a mixed blessing).

T2 features an Harrods fine watch boutique (quite well stocked) and a dedicated Rolex boutique (much less so). I visited the latter for good form and asked to see an Explorer (either): none available to view in their own shop in an international terminal :bash:

Harrods was much more helpful. Lots of offerings from most major brands except Rolex and the trinity+1. I tried on a rather gorgeous looking Portofino, but, on the wrist it failed to stir my soul. Several Omegas, Tudors, Blancpains and other IWCs later I moved (still largely unmoved) to the case of my usual suspects. I’m really looking for a moon phase, and I certainly don’t need a chronograph, but this

vdJrnru.jpg

was very reluctant indeed to leave my wrist. It both looks and feels gorgeous on the arm, and the photo seriously underplays the allure of the grey (I don't have a grey watch!!).

 

With some effort of will, I made the plane with my wallet intact  —  but I seriously suspect some people in Saxony of having an effigy of me on to which they keep strapping watches :huh:

 

 

I did manage to get out without trying on any Hublots.

 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@yokel We must be on the same wavelength.....I was just going to start a thread entitled 'Do You Ever Get Fixated'.......

By that I mean do you see something that grabs your attention, then you spend the next few hours trawling through all the sites, forums, shops etc to see if... a) You can actually find another example cheaper, or b) just bite the bullet and aquire your hearts desire on a whim.

Today, while idly surfing, I put a search into ebay for 'Yellow Seiko'. After all the usual dross went by, I was suddenly jerked to attention by a yellow Seiko Caesar...a very rare watch these days, but at £499 for a quartz, was a bit put off. That's when it all started. Several hours later I emerged from my study most disgruntelled because I couldn't find another example anywhere...let alone cheaper (Bloody Creation were selling these for £176 a few years ago....:sadwalk:)

So I've spent most of the day chasing a dream.....I might still go for it as it appears to be really rare now, and that's the kind of watch I like to go for. It's on bookmark, and I'll watch it for a couple of days. Maybe the feeling will pass...maybe I'll pull the trigger...maybe I'll put in an offer......watch this space.

The watch in question.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Seiko-Caesar-200-M-Scuba-Divers-Chrono-Watch-SNDA15P1-Yellow-Face-Mint-Con/192479919194?epid=23016582764&hash=item2cd0b27c5a:g:EiQAAOSwQGZaqb8W

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RWP said:

Time, if not money, well spent.  I expect you'll be back :)

Not for a month or two (I think)  —  but I fear you might be right :yes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@yokel We must be on the same wavelength.....I was just going to start a thread entitled 'Do You Ever Get Fixated'.......

By that I mean do you see something that grabs your attention, then you spend the next few hours trawling through all the sites, forums, shops etc to see if... a) You can actually find another example cheaper, or b) just bite the bullet and aquire your hearts desire on a whim.

Today, while idly surfing, I put a search into ebay for 'Yellow Seiko'. After all the usual dross went by, I was suddenly jerked to attention by a yellow Seiko Caesar...a very rare watch these days, but at £499 for a quartz, was a bit put off. That's when it all started. Several hours later I emerged from my study most disgruntelled because I couldn't find another example anywhere...let alone cheaper (Bloody Creation were selling these for £176 a few years ago....:sadwalk:)

So I've spent most of the day chasing a dream.....I might still go for it as it appears to be really rare now, and that's the kind of watch I like to go for. It's on bookmark, and I'll watch it for a couple of days. Maybe the feeling will pass...maybe I'll pull the trigger...maybe I'll put in an offer......watch this space.

The watch in question.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Seiko-Caesar-200-M-Scuba-Divers-Chrono-Watch-SNDA15P1-Yellow-Face-Mint-Con/192479919194?epid=23016582764&hash=item2cd0b27c5a:g:EiQAAOSwQGZaqb8W

Now that is nice. :thumbs_up:

If I hadn't just bought something else (non watch), I don't think I would be on your Christmas card Rog.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@yokel We must be on the same wavelength.....I was just going to start a thread entitled 'Do You Ever Get Fixated'.......

By that I mean do you see something that grabs your attention, then you spend the next few hours trawling through all the sites, forums, shops etc to see if... a) You can actually find another example cheaper, or b) just bite the bullet and aquire your hearts desire on a whim.

Today, while idly surfing, I put a search into ebay for 'Yellow Seiko'. After all the usual dross went by, I was suddenly jerked to attention by a yellow Seiko Caesar...a very rare watch these days, but at £499 for a quartz, was a bit put off. That's when it all started. Several hours later I emerged from my study most disgruntelled because I couldn't find another example anywhere...let alone cheaper (Bloody Creation were selling these for £176 a few years ago....:sadwalk:)

So I've spent most of the day chasing a dream.....I might still go for it as it appears to be really rare now, and that's the kind of watch I like to go for. It's on bookmark, and I'll watch it for a couple of days. Maybe the feeling will pass...maybe I'll pull the trigger...maybe I'll put in an offer......watch this space.

The watch in question.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Seiko-Caesar-200-M-Scuba-Divers-Chrono-Watch-SNDA15P1-Yellow-Face-Mint-Con/192479919194?epid=23016582764&hash=item2cd0b27c5a:g:EiQAAOSwQGZaqb8W

That is one seriously nice watch and I know you are a big fan of yellow watches.......500 sods is a lot of money

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BobJ said:

Seems like Russell Crowe suffers the same..

 

 

Now finished travelling, and, settled into hotel, have had time to watch this video.

In a much more down-scale way (both means and opportunity) I know exactly how he thinks. The only real difference is that, once i’ve fallen in love with a watch on the wrist, I have never yet really fallen back out of love.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, yokel said:

vdJrnru.jpg

 

 

 

Not a huge fan of this brand but that is divine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My favourite AD , Laings, in Southampton are now one of the largest Rolex stockists outside of London...

Thanks for the tip - next time I am down in Southamption visiting my parents I will definitely pop in there and have a look :tongue:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JonnyOldBoy I'll be sure to avoid them - the only time I'm in West Quay is if SWMBO is 'shopping' (that's much worse than just normal 'shopping'), which is bad enough for my resolve at the best of times.  The IWC bit sounds particularly dangerous!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@yokel We must be on the same wavelength.....I was just going to start a thread entitled 'Do You Ever Get Fixated'.......

By that I mean do you see something that grabs your attention, then you spend the next few hours trawling through all the sites, forums, shops etc to see if... a) You can actually find another example cheaper, or b) just bite the bullet and aquire your hearts desire on a whim.

Today, while idly surfing, I put a search into ebay for 'Yellow Seiko'. After all the usual dross went by, I was suddenly jerked to attention by a yellow Seiko Caesar...a very rare watch these days, but at £499 for a quartz, was a bit put off. That's when it all started. Several hours later I emerged from my study most disgruntelled because I couldn't find another example anywhere...let alone cheaper (Bloody Creation were selling these for £176 a few years ago....:sadwalk:)

So I've spent most of the day chasing a dream.....I might still go for it as it appears to be really rare now, and that's the kind of watch I like to go for. It's on bookmark, and I'll watch it for a couple of days. Maybe the feeling will pass...maybe I'll pull the trigger...maybe I'll put in an offer......watch this space.

The watch in question.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Seiko-Caesar-200-M-Scuba-Divers-Chrono-Watch-SNDA15P1-Yellow-Face-Mint-Con/192479919194?epid=23016582764&hash=item2cd0b27c5a:g:EiQAAOSwQGZaqb8W

Wow.. that is really nice!! :thumbs_up:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Biker said:

Not a huge fan of this brand but that is divine.

Unfortunately, I am a big fan of the brand. This is why I think I’be been brainwashed.

4yvXwNK.jpg

5kBaL22.jpg

RvpmirA.jpg

QZxpzEu.jpg

Three I have :rolleyes:

Edited by yokel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Actually is it... I tried on a Portofino there at the weekend and it was divine.... I had no intentions of wanting one of those to be honest.... but I now feel like that 120 seconds on my wrist was a calling ... a calling to be poor.....:mad0218:

But isn’t that calling (“the voices told me to do it, M’lud”) part of the joy (or perhaps the misery) of WISery?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2018 at 20:49, yokel said:

 

Poor weather this morning, so I arranged my taxi to Heathrow in plenty of time. Roads were empty, so I had lots of time to kill in the terminal (always a mixed blessing).

T2 features an Harrods fine watch boutique (quite well stocked) and a dedicated Rolex boutique (much less so). I visited the latter for good form and asked to see an Explorer (either): none available to view in their own shop in an international terminal :bash:

Harrods was much more helpful. Lots of offerings from most major brands except Rolex and the trinity+1. I tried on a rather gorgeous looking Portofino, but, on the wrist it failed to stir my soul. Several Omegas, Tudors, Blancpains and other IWCs later I moved (still largely unmoved) to the case of my usual suspects. I’m really looking for a moon phase, and I certainly don’t need a chronograph, but this

vdJrnru.jpg

was very reluctant indeed to leave my wrist. It both looks and feels gorgeous on the arm, and the photo seriously underplays the allure of the grey (I don't have a grey watch!!).

 

With some effort of will, I made the plane with my wallet intact  —  but I seriously suspect some people in Saxony of having an effigy of me on to which they keep strapping watches :huh:

 

 

I did manage to get out without trying on any Hublots.

 

 

 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! So thanks!

Also, that's a very tempting watch! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...