• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Compressor Watches

So, I have a real love (but no budget) of the Longines Legend Diver and Alpina Heritage Diver. They are both in my opinion, real stunners!

A0_AB35_E3_FB66_44_D4_8_AA6_5408217_E976heritage_fake-L3.674.4.50.0-350x720.png

But, I have recently seen a few 'more affordable' options including:

Dan Henry 1970

1970-44mm-Orange_grande.png

Landeron (rubbish/cheap?):

b8e21046-a7d9-11e5-9f39-10520ab98111.jpg

French Difor:

s-l1600.jpg

and today I discovered the Orient Sea King (in the Friday watch thread):

r0qr6u.jpg

I feel like I'm becoming obsessed. Can anyone vouch for or recommend a 'cheaper' alternative that the original pair of beauties?

Cheers.

1 minute ago, mrzee said:

@RWP cheers! I’ll take a look.

@Rob.B Farer are nice aren’t they.

Ye they seem to be doing something a little bit different than the crowd... I like the Hecla with the sandwich dial

Edited by Rob.B
change
  • Like 1

@greasemonk I really like the Dan Henry 1970 and at less than £200 I think it is pretty reasonable. I have not got the skillset to do anything a grand as a hand change though. I have to say, yours are better than the original I reckon. I was looking at the 44mm originally. I see you have the 40mm. Are you happy with the size?

@RWP I had a quick look at the Golana Aqua Pro but was struggling to find them in the UK/Europe. Nice looking watches mind you.

Edited by mrzee
text addition
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Filterlab said:

I do love that Alpina! The Dan Henry is a very nice piece however, although some find it a touch on the small side. Depends on your wrist really and the lack of external bezel helps it to wear larger. 

There is a 44mm version as well as the 40 though if you're feeling a bit gorilla wristed.

I believe I posted my feelings about Dan Henry watches on another thread here on the Forum looking at the products. I have positive feelings towards this new company, and where it avoids more slavish replication of earlier classic watch styles, the watches are very nice. I certainly like the compressor dive watch he produces and it does seem very good value for money.:)

• Like 3
4 hours ago, greasemonk said:

hi, i have the 40mm Dan Henry compressor and really like it,i did change the hands on mine though...9JTc4PX.jpg

Wow fantastically done modification. Makes such a big difference to the overall look of the watch. Wish I had your eye and your skills!

• Like 1

My two penneth for what its worth...

I've longed after the longines since I saw it however I tried one on and as stunning is it is, it just seems "too shiny" for my liking, I don't think I'll be getting one, the same money I was going to put on the Longines has gone on a used Oris Aquis Date and will go to a Custom D Hodge 2824F.. I'll have change left over too! that could get me a Dan Henry which I too really, really like. 

The mods to the hands above I think are amazing.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mrzee said:

@greasemonk I really like the Dan Henry 1970 and at less than £200 I think it is pretty reasonable. I have not got the skillset to do anything a grand as a hand change though. I have to say, yours are better than the original I reckon. I was looking at the 44mm originally. I see you have the 40mm. Are you happy with the size?

hi, i have large 8" wrists but 40mm watches i find suit me best.being a nh35 seiko movement in the watch it was quite easy to source some replacement hands but if you look closely at the second hand you will see i had to cut a little off to suit the dial.i have corresponded with Dan Henry himself and he is a great chap to deal with and really stands by his watches.i would not hesitate to buy from him...

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

There’s a nice Alpina in the for sale section!

12 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

not enough compressors around here, lets see 'em!

I’ve had two since starting this thread 

Seiko 5 Sports Watch

Orient Sea King SK Watch

Flipped both although I severely regret parting with the Sea King. 

Still like the Dan Henry!