• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

A Great Watch in a Small Package: My New Casio Marlin

Ever since writing my topic for the Forum about the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms dive watch, I have been in love with the classic form of dive watch so beautifully represented by the earlier Fifty Fathoms watches - restrained styling, black dial and black bezel. I knew that I would have to find a watch redolent of that classic form that I could afford, and I bought my rather beautiful Storm black dive watch, which has a privileged position in my collection.

Having acquired the Storm model, I thought I had finally scratched the itch caused my desire for a classic black dial/black bezel dive watch. How wrong I was, because lurking in the back of my mind was a watch I had read about and had even mentioned here on the Forum yet had gone no further in acquiring one for myself, in spite of its low price. That model is often referred to in "common parlance" as a/the Casio Marlin dive watch, although its more official designation (as given here by greatwatches.co.uk) omits the term, "Marlin" and refers to it as the Casio MDV-106-1A Duro 200M Modern Analog Sports Dive watch, although there is a neat marlin logo on the dial and a whopping great Marlin on the caseback. In fact, Casio has over the years produced a number of Marlin models, but for me this simple iteration of the range is my favourite.

Having decided to get one of these Casio divers, I checked on likely sources and decided to order one from Great watches (greatwatches.co.uk). The price of the watch had been discounted slightly in a sale, and I decided that I would also forgo the pleasure of having the box and papers in favour of paying even less for the watch - Great Watches, who specialize in selling Casio watches, seem to have a policy of offering watches at a lower cost if they are sent without original packaging and instructions (the second of which they offer to email to you at no extra cost). Thus, I paid a total of £42.99, and waited for my watch to arrive.

A few days ago, having safely winged its way across the Atlantic from the States, my little package arrived - actually a small internally bubbled bag, with the watch itself contained in its original film-plastic sleeve. As soon as I had unwrapped the watch and handled it, I had the feeling that this was something a bit special at an amazingly reasonable price. The watch oozes quality and feels the business in terms of weight and construction - it is quite simply a subtle and beautiful thing well-made. OK, it's not mechanical and it has no "extras" built in, but is all the nicer for it. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the more whizzy Casio watches, but this one is a breath of pure air, re-entering a simpler world and getting it just right.

The specifications are as follows: 44.2mm stainless steel case with unidirectional rotating bezel and mineral glass crystal, screw-down back and screw down crown, date window, 200 metres water resistance, black resin strap with buckle, lumed hands and markers, and powered by quartz module 2784 accurate to +/- 20 seconds per month. Case thickness 12.1mm and weight 92 grams.

IMG_8394.jpg

(Pic from The Watch Post on 1.bp.blogspot.com)

IMG_8383.jpg

(Pic from The Watch Post on 2.bp.blogspot.com)

1009547230_w640_h640_mdv_106_1a_4.jpg

(Pic from images.ua.prom.st)

17412833663_baa41abe36_o_1_1024x1024.jpg

(Pic from Great Watches on cdn.shopify.com)

219e534db7c3dd77496657c31776f66a.jpg

(pic from i.pinimg.com/originals)

a1933ac9d495b4b104993caef78962c5.jpg

(Pic from i.pinimg.com/originals)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Looks great on that strap. :yes:

This watch has something of a cult following in the USA and I never understood why Casio chose not to sell it UK. 

Glad to hear you had good service from Greatwatches, I've looked at them a couple of times but never come across anyone who had bought from them. Presumably you had no problems with VAT or import handling fees?

• Like 1

The Marlin's been a staple in the Casio line since ... the 1980s? Of course, classic styling is classic. Taking cues from the Fifty Fathoms, Submariner, Seiko dive watches, and distilling them down to an elegant design of which de Saint-Exupéry might've said, "... Perfection isn not achieved  when nothing more can be added, but when nothing more can be taken away." Note the chapter ring indexes are on the rehaut, making room on the dial for blank space. :yes:

The Casio Marlin is a nice way to get a vintage looking diver without breaking the bank. 

I've admired the Marlin for a while, it was only available from the USA when last I looked, with the usual inflated cost of import taxes.

It's now available on Amazon UK for circa £60.

Nice review Honour, your input is always devoid of prejudice (imho).:wink:

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2018 at 18:37, Chromejob said:

The Marlin's been a staple in the Casio line since ... the 1980s? Of course, classic styling is classic. Taking cues from the Fifty Fathoms, Submariner, Seiko dive watches, and distilling them down to an elegant design of which de Saint-Exupéry might've said, "... Perfection isn not achieved  when nothing more can be added, but when nothing more can be taken away." Note the chapter ring indexes are on the rehaut, making room on the dial for blank space. :yes:

The Casio Marlin is a nice way to get a vintage looking diver without breaking the bank. 

I like the quotes around the location of the minimum level of quality. 

Leonardo da Vinci is credited with this one in a similar vein "Art is never finished, only abandoned"

I've used these principles to guide me professionally for some years now. 

Considering buying this given it's modest price of £42 :yes:

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 2

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on this because I was looking for a review of greatwatches.co.uk.

I am waiting for a Casio Duro which I ordered via Amazon, but if I like the black version I may get the blue one also.

I am commenting on a 'long dead' thread, but the info on here is really relevant.

Thanks for the info @Always"watching" a big help with the duro, and a big help if I decide to use greatwatches.co.uk for the blue version.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on this because I was looking for a review of greatwatches.co.uk.

I am waiting for a Casio Duro which I ordered via Amazon, but if I like the black version I may get the blue one also.

I am commenting on a 'long dead' thread, but the info on here is really relevant.

Thanks for the info @Always"watching" a big help with the duro, and a big help if I decide to use greatwatches.co.uk for the blue version.

The marlins nice isnt it, some would use it has a beater but its too nice for that, i`d certainly wear it if i had one, you could say its what some might call a good holiday watch!

• Like 1

Just now, sabailand said:

The marlins nice isnt it, some would use it has a beater but its too nice for that, i`d certainly wear it if i had one, you could say its what some might call a good holiday watch!

Sadly it hasn't arrived yet (Friday hopefully) but I can't wait to be honest. I am a total Seiko fan boy, but I got a cheap 'pool beater' Casio last year for £9.99 and it is a fantastic watch for the money, a fantastic watch full stop. I think it is the best value watch in the world, and I would tell anyone this even though I like my Seiko's.

I am sure I will like the watch so I have already started looking at the blue version before the black version has even arrived.

I am really glad that this thread has mentioned greatwatches.co.uk, their website doesn't inspire confidence, but I am willing to take @Always"watching"'s word for it and purchase the blue version from them.

I would go as far to say that anyone that says they collect watches and does not own a 'cheap' Casio is not a watch collector. Strong view, maybe, but they are utterly amazing value for money, and they are the epitome of wear and forget...the ultimate beater...they have my vote.:biggrin:

The Best Value Watch in the World... (£9.99 at Argos, Amazon, et al)

61BYnJB-a1L._AC_UY780_.jpg

• Like 1