• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
AVO

How do you fare in the AD Postcode Lottery?

I was prompted to write this having read a number of posts about people popping in to their local AD to look at various brands of watch.

Leaving London aside, and I do understand why, I am struck by the knowledge that what may be available in different parts of the country, even from the same chain of stores, varies enormously. 

The Norwich branch of Goldsmiths, for example, used to stock Omega but now no longer does. Their most prestigious brands appear now to be TAG Heuer and Longines.

You can get a Patek-Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Panerai, Omega or Bremont in the city, but only from one place, Winsor Bishop. I bought my Cartier from there but they no longer carry the brand. They used to sell JLC but no longer do.

We have a few good local independents as well as several of the larger chains. None of them carries anything more prestigious (or costly if you prefer) as far as I can see, than Longines or Ebel.

And I suspect that Norwich is more than averagely affluent. I believe there are cities (not small towns) in England where you cannot buy a Rolex or an Omega; I have heard that but cannot corroborate.

And I also believe that there is a brand which has seven outlets in the UK. Six of them are within walking/strolling/mincing distance of each other in the West End, and the seventh is in Leeds – go figure! 

So, do you have to travel a long way to look at nice watches, or are you blessed with a crop of good AD stores where you live? 

Please also feel free to comment if you do not live in the UK. I would love to know.

• Like 1

Ipswich (my local town, and traditional great rival to Norwich (though inferior)) has only one AD for "upmarket" brands.

He carries: Cartier, Longines, Tag Heuer, Breitling, Omega, Tudor, Tissot and Rolex.

That covers 28% of my current collection. For anything else, it's a rail trip to the Smoke.

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I Live in West End , so 4 miles from Southampton = Goldsmiths (Omega , Breitling , Bremont , Tudor , Longines , Mont blanc , TAG, Oris) , Laing ( Rolex , Patek , IWC ) , EJ (Tag,Longines,Tissot,FC,Hamilton ) ,,,,,

Then 3 miles from Whiteley = Beaverbrooks (Tag,Oris,Bremont,RW,Bell&Ross ) , EJ (Tissot , hamilton , Certina )

Then 7 miles from Winchester , with 3 ADs and ALL of the above brands spread around them all...

I can get to any one of the 8 ADs within 15 minutes door to door on most days.... 25 minutes door to door if there is traffic...

I am a familiar customer to 2 of these 8 ... :thumbsup:

Why don't we have an "envy" emoticon?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I Live in West End , so 4 miles from Southampton = Goldsmiths (Omega , Breitling , Bremont , Tudor , Longines , Mont blanc , TAG, Oris) , Laing ( Rolex , Patek , IWC ) , EJ (Tag,Longines,Tissot,FC,Hamilton ) ,,,,,

Then 3 miles from Whiteley = Beaverbrooks (Tag,Oris,Bremont,RW,Bell&Ross ) , EJ (Tissot , hamilton , Certina )

Then 7 miles from Winchester , with 3 ADs and ALL of the above brands spread around them all...

I can get to any one of the 8 ADs within 15 minutes door to door on most days.... 25 minutes door to door if there is traffic...

I am a familiar customer to 2 of these 8 ... :thumbsup:

I can see our TK Max from my bedroom window. 

Might pop in before we catch the train to the Boro and see what Rolex they have in Stock. 

:whistle:

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

:laugh:

Does not sound like your TKMaxx cuts the mustard.... 

I'm not so sure about that. 

Big M picked up some nice Michael Korrs tops yesterday 

:laugh: :laugh:

16 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

I live in Stoke... lucky to find a casio stockist :laugh:

I haven’t been there for about a year, since I sold my mum's house. However, I do remember looking in Goldsmiths just below Hanley market, where Pidducks used to be when I was a kid. I think you may be right. 

I suspect Cheshire does well.

• Like 1

Neither of my two local towns here in West Essex have ADs but one has a jewellers that carries a mixed used selection.  Nearest AD for anything watchwise is in Chelmsford which is 12 miles away.   :(

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I also live 3 miles from Eastleigh ... which has two ADs but no signature brands of any merit ... but then again , a quick wander in the town centre thinking you have been transported as an extra into a scene from an episode of the Walking Dead explains it all.....:huh:

I upped the game a bit, don't want to pitch up at the Boro  TK Max and have them thinking we are just chancer looking for a try on of their Rolex so we can Instagram the pic and pretend to everyone in tinterland that we actually have some. 

GDcYh8.jpg

Edited by BondandBigM

15 minutes ago, AVO said:

I haven’t been there for about a year, since I sold my mum's house. However, I do remember looking in Goldsmiths just below Hanley market, where Pidducks used to be when I was a kid. I think you may be right. 

I suspect Cheshire does well.

Half said in jest, I love Stoke / Staffordshire. The high street suspects stocks longines, tag, Rado, omega, beritling etc... 

If I cross into cheshire (Alderney edge, Wilmslow, Prestwich...) Then you can literally find any high end brand imaginable.

"How do you fare in the AD Postcode Lottery"

Badly,  Goldsmiths Exeter is 58.3 miles away. Saying that I wouldn't change my location for the world.:biggrin:

I'm pretty well catered for in Edinburgh, in less than a 10 minute walk from work I can view....

Rolex

Patek Philippe

Omega

Chanel

Bremont

Nomos

Zenith

Tudor

Georg Jensen

Breitling

Cartier

IWC

Panerai

Jaeger LeCoultre

Longines

Chopard

Vacheron Constantin

Blancpain

Breguet

Hublot

Audemar Piguet

Mont Blanc

Seiko

Tissot

Bell & Ross

Raymond Weil

Rado

Casio

Bulova

Citizen

and I'm sure there is still some that I have forgotten about. Just a pity my bank balance won't let me play :( 

Edited by animalone
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I feel your pain.....

Book yourself a summer cruise from Southampton ( loads of Ships to choose from ) and arrive a day early to do some watch shopping !?!? 

:thumbsup:

Appreciate the suggestion but I can nip down to the smoke on the tube if I need an AD.  Only costs a tenner a trip vs a cruise which could cost the same as a new quality watch. 

Exeter......County town, university, light industry, relatively prosperous.   Not much you can't get. :)

well 10 mile away is leeds and don't think we do too bad? usual suspects, goldsmiths etc then big ones   berrys, inc patek, jura, O&R inc VC, a lange, , RM, blancpain, there is a watchfinder store, prestons with rolex, tag store , think we pretty much got it all ?:thumbsup:

deano

Here in Cambridge we have 4 main stores pretty close to each other in the centre of town which sell the luxury brands plus other add-ons. 

Mappin & Webb do Rolex and Omega

Fraser Hart do Longines and Tudor

Ernest Jones do Bell & Ross, also Longines, and Baume & Mercier, and fashion brands like Gucci (plus they have a pre-owned section which usually has a few Rolex and Cartier available)

Goldsmiths a bit further away from city centre are the only ones who stock Rado and they have a large Tag Heuer selection which seems to centre on the Tag smartwatches nowadays...

So actually if you think about it for a town as affluent as Cambridge there's not that much around. The Omega selection in M&W is usually pretty poor (at one point they only had 8 models on display total, although they have improved now). They have about half the store dedicated to Rolex, a quarter to Omega, and a quarter to their own brand.

3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Is that a Parnis ? :whistle:

We tried your favourite Ad, no Rolex but I did get another shirt

kgOxJF.jpg

Then we went to a proper watch shop

LrYQJp.jpg

I tried  on a gold Daytona and I tried a new Sea Dweller. 

What's in the bag though. 

AS said before cannot buy a decent watch in the city of Sunderland  only way to buy a Rolex is maybe the local pawn shop where they could have been nicked from Newcastle the night before, not one shop that sells new omega oris  or any top brand, our Ernest Jones top brand is  Seiko or citizen :thumbdown:

17 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

We tried your favourite Ad, no Rolex but I did get another shirt

kgOxJF.jpg

Then we went to a proper shop

LrYQJp.jpg

What's in the bag though. 

Wedding bands :biggrin:

Congratulations.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, bowie said:

in the city of Sunderland  only way to buy a Rolex is maybe the local pawn shop where they could have been nicked from Newcastle the night before

16 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Wedding bands :biggrin:

Congratulations.

Unlikely 

Last time I looked she's still married to her husband 

:huh:

• Sad 1

2 jewellery shops in my city. One sells citizen and bulova, the other much of the same, although a few hugely overpriced vintage bits from brands I've not heard of. Not a single AD here. 

Doesn't bother me though. Every time!e I've visited am AD or boutique I wish I hadn't. Last time!e I was in the Oxford Street omega place, all they were interested in was trying to convince me to get my speedmaster serviced by them. I'd much rather look at watches on Google.

Edited by hughlle

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Unlikely 

Last time I looked she's still married to her husband 

Bu$$er !!

Had just informed DC that I'd be away shortly for a mucky weekend with the boy's.

:(

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Had just informed DC that I'd be away shortly for a mucky weekend with the boy's.

:(

Been there got the t-shirt 

Arrested for trying to get into a Navel Base in Corfu

As said numerous times previously 

I'm not only lucky but surprised I'm still alive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:
5 hours ago, ong said:

Just trying to spend other peoples money..... as usual..... 

err actually my money earned in the company of insurance so not others, mine earned doing the job of broking in The City. If it was others it would be an issue 

• Like 1