• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

'100th Anniversary Of The RAF'

Karrusel

I just have these 3 issued RAF watches:

1948 IWC Mark XI 6B/346

grY9Rrdl.jpg

1940 6B/159 Longines Weems. These were issued to pilots & navigators & featured a moveable outer bezel which is set to the second hand to enable calculation of longitude & aid navigation. This was in the days before the hacking feature was introduced whereby the second hand can be stopped by pulling out the crown & restarted by pushing it back in, thereby allowing the watch to be synchronised to the exact time:

17HJ5VJl.jpg

1963 Lemania Series 3 Monopusher:

5LGUlPsl.jpg

B0L7B5Hl.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, RWP said:

First Jet in service..... Gloucester Meteor :notworthy:

The Mosquito did everything during the war and its still open to debate as to whether more squadrons of Mosquito bombers wouldnt have vastly reduced bomber command fatalities. 

The boast was that the wooden wonder could do two ops in one night. 

Goering was a big fan and wanted Germany's own mosquito but bomber command flattened the only factory that could make the glue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turpinr said:

The Mosquito did everything during the war and its still open to debate as to whether more squadrons of Mosquito bombers wouldnt have vastly reduced bomber command fatalities. 

The boast was that the wooden wonder could do two ops in one night. 

Goering was a big fan and wanted Germany's own mosquito but bomber command flattened the only factory that could make the glue. 

Agreed it was fast, and used by Bomber command as a Pathfinder, but a bigger revolution in aircraft than the Meteor?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My late father was ground crew to the first full operation squadron at RAF Seletar, Singapore.

At his funeral, quite out of the blue, another Seletar Veteran appeared and gave me a squadron lapel badge. Great planes.... great airmen... great servicemen.

:notworthy:

My old dad was in the Fleet Air Arm and claimed to have broken the sound barrier in a steep dive in a Meteor :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My late father was ground crew to the first full operation squadron at RAF Seletar, Singapore.

At his funeral, quite out of the blue, another Seletar Veteran appeared and gave me a squadron lapel badge. Great planes.... great airmen... great servicemen.

:notworthy:

The Americans were years behind the Meteor, it was a cracking plane. 

1 minute ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Not the most practical I know, but I'll never forget watching a Lightning at their last airshow at Binbrook stand on its tail, open up the taps and go ballistic.... Fabulous things. 

Oh hell yes, they couldn't half climb. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Turpinr said:

They all had bottle.

I once saw a Fairy Swordfish flying over the festival of the sea in Portsmouth, barely moving. 

Those lads help sink the Bismarck. Unbelievable 

Every passing out parade I ever saw at Brittania Royal Naval College, and I saw a few, a Fairy Swordfish and Hunters were always on hand.  The Hunter pilots had a bet going to see who could spin the College weather vane.  They were so low you could see the rivets and wave to the pilots from the roof ridge.

Great memories.

Edited by RWP
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

That will the be the Super Etendards that the French were supplying weapons for ..... at the same time we were sailing south....!?!?:whistle:

Exactly those aircraft, and the Exocets that sank the Sheffield and the Atlantic Conveyor.   Merci beaucoup. :huh:   Never mind, remember Agincourt, Crecy, the Napoleonic wars, Oran.....:whistle:

Oddly enough HMS Glamorgan survived an Exocet hit. :thumbsup:.   Once had a few drinks in the mess on the Glamorgan, fine ship.

Edited by RWP

Late to the dance but enjoyed the thread.

During the Falklands war, many NATO Allied, including our VP404 and VP407 Squadrons, provided anti-sub protection to the British Fleet. Dropping hundreds of sonabuoys. The hard [ political ] part was to get the Government of Brazil to agree to provide an FBO  ( Fixed Base of Operation) at one of their military airfield. Our VP140 Auroras ( US Navy Orions)  had to be stripped downed to the minimum  ( No torpedoes etc...) to get on station and get back home. A little known piece of history.

So I salute all my friends and sister Squadrons from RAF Kinloss, now at Lossiemouth on the 100th Anniversary.

Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by BlueKnight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Not the most practical I know, but I'll never forget watching a Lightning at their last airshow at Binbrook stand on its tail, open up the taps and go ballistic.... Fabulous things. 

I remember being in senior school (the Grange School) in Stockton when a Vulcan bomber went side ways up the whole length of the school, very close and very low. Nearly shook every pane of glass out of the building. One of the loudest and  most spectacular things I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RSR934 said:

I remember being in senior school (the Grange School) in Stockton when a Vulcan bomber went side ways up the whole length of the school, very close and very low. Nearly shook every pane of glass out of the building. One of the loudest and  most spectacular things I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

Yes!! Falkland's conflict second star, author of the longest bombing missions in the history of aerial warfare!! Bomber Command rules!!

large.Vulcan2008.jpg.70b66ded34c156738eec309a8356f5b5.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Doolittle said:

Yes!! Falkland's conflict second star, author of the longest bombing missions in the history of aerial warfare!! Bomber Command rules!!

large.Vulcan2008.jpg.70b66ded34c156738eec309a8356f5b5.jpg

That was good timing I was just going to copy and paste my previous message on your other picture of the Vulcan. A spectacular piece of kit.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 22:17, Doolittle said:

Technologically revolutionary!!!!!!

large.1309180.jpg.78ea23d3151fa063714e04fe1aece301.jpg

And some clown decided to decommission them without replacement and then sell the ENTIRE back catalogue to the US Marines (who still use them, with great success) for the price of one engine..

• Sad 1

AVRO 504

Spitfire

Hurricane

Typhoon and Tempest

Lancaster

Bolton-Paul Defiant

Short Sunderland

Mosquito

Swordfish

Meteor

Javelin

Hunter

Lightning

Vulcan

Harrier

Jaguar

Tornado GR1

Like the British aircraft industry, brilliant for a significant period of time, but now long gone, unfortunately

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldHooky said:

AVRO 504

Spitfire

Hurricane

Typhoon and Tempest

Lancaster

Bolton-Paul Defiant

Short Sunderland

Mosquito

Swordfish

Meteor

Javelin

Hunter

Lightning

Vulcan

Harrier

Jaguar

Tornado GR1

Like the British aircraft industry, brilliant for a significant period of time, but now long gone, unfortunately

Agreed, and that's only the "short" list. There were many more.:yes:

• Like 1