• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

: Advice Please: DAB Radio With or Without CD?

I currently tend to use headphones when I listen to CDs, attached to personal CD/DVD players. However, I am thinking of purchasing a relatively inexpensive stereo DAB radio/CD player for my room as an all-in-one unit. I know that I definitely want to have the DAB radio but I am wondering if it would be better to sacrifice the CD player in the unit in favour of, hopefully, getting better quality in the radio department. My budget is absolutely limited to being under £100 and I wonder if knowledgeable members could give me some advice on whether or not I would be better off sticking with just a DAB radio for that amount of money, or does a built-in CD player represent a significant cost (and therefore price increase) to the manufacturer.

Many thanks for any help.:)

I find Pure make very good digital radios, and your budget should get this

https://m.johnlewis.com/pure-evoke-h3-dab-dab-fm-bluetooth-radio/oak/p3094592

I have an older version in my office.  You can hook up your bluetooth (either phone or laptop) to play either MP3 or cd's from your laptop then.

Don't spend money on CD players - outdated already

I Have something like this in the dining room dab, USB, cd all in one  from ebay.

item number:

are you can get this from tesco.

item number:
you can also get Roberts radio cd all in one i did and was not impressed for the price and it knaked up just as the g/tee ran out.

I have 2 portable Roberts DAB radios, one in the kitchen and one by my bed. They are excellent.

4 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I currently tend to use headphones when I listen to CDs, attached to personal CD/DVD players. However, I am thinking of purchasing a relatively inexpensive stereo DAB radio/CD player for my room as an all-in-one unit. I know that I definitely want to have the DAB radio but I am wondering if it would be better to sacrifice the CD player in the unit in favour of, hopefully, getting better quality in the radio department. My budget is absolutely limited to being under £100 and I wonder if knowledgeable members could give me some advice on whether or not I would be better off sticking with just a DAB radio for that amount of money, or does a built-in CD player represent a significant cost (and therefore price increase) to the manufacturer.

Many thanks for any help.:)

Hi Always"watching".

Pure and Roberts do some nice DAB radios, as others have mentioned some come with an assortment of input's to help with your options (phone dock, Ariel, aux etc). However, I don't know where you live so I would check your favourite stations are available where you live. I live in County Durham and occasionally the station signal drops out on the stations I listen to, usually only for very short periods of time, i,e, seconds. It might be wise to invest in a DAB Ariel, some of the radio's do have an external input for Ariel's that should help with the signal if it's not good.

Regards, Paul.  

Edited by RSR934
  • Thanks 1

Well, CD player is maybe  worthwhile option if it plays CD-Rs of MP3s .... but that's also a rapidly expiring format, where you burn your music to a 653MB disc to play in a car or a friend's house. The advent of large storage digital devices made AUX inputs and BT or Chromecast built-in ability far more useful. JIMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks you two. I do agree that CD is becoming an obsolete format but we do have a lot of CDs at home, and we still find interesting CDs in charity shops. As for DAB radio, I do agree that a decent Ariel and a radio that is sufficiently sensitive aeriel prerequisites. Apparently, even DAB will soon be out of date as DAB+ comes on stream. :)

We have just bought an old ipod docking station from a charity shop for £3 

IMG_20180403_134427310.jpg

Also bought a bluetooth receiver to fit the docking station 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263059255447

This now means we can play music that is stored on our mobile phones via the bluetooth also we can use a DAB radio app. Total cost £7.29 

This one is going upstairs as we already have a similar setup in the kitchen . 

I appreciate you would not be able to play your cd's but I just wanted to share with you how we do it. :)

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 17:35, scottswatches said:

I find Pure make very good digital radios, and your budget should get this

https://m.johnlewis.com/pure-evoke-h3-dab-dab-fm-bluetooth-radio/oak/p3094592

I have an older version in my office.  You can hook up your bluetooth (either phone or laptop) to play either MP3 or cd's from your laptop then.

Don't spend money on CD players - outdated already

I'd get that one too, as it has DAB+ so is a bit more future-proof.  I've an older Pure model and it is splendid.  Better than others I've had.  If you've a nice CD collection, I'd rip them into digital format and play them over Bluetooth.  Obviously the quality will be worse than you'll get playing a CD on headphones, but most of the time I doubt you'd notice or care.

• Like 1