• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
trackrat

Problems with having a watch repaired

About 2 and a half years ago I purchased a G Gerlach Marine watch with a dual date, which I only wore occasionally.

Last year I stopped at my nephews for a few weeks and he said what a lovely watch, so I gave it to him.

At the start of this year he rang me to say it had stopped working so as it was out of warranty, I said send it back to me and I will take it to my local watch repairer that I have used several times with no problems.

He quoted me £100 to rectify the fault and service it, after 6 weeks I called into the shop to be told the fault was a loose ball bearing that had got into the works but it was now working and had been serviced.

So I took it back home and kept it for a few days to check its time keeping, which was fine however I noticed the dual date had jumped 3 days forward, so using the button on the top left side I checked the date movement only to find every time it changed it jumped 3 days forward, so back to the shop it went, fast forward another 4 weeks and  a phone call to say it is ready for collection, so I take it home, the date is the 5th so I used the side button again to change the date and when it got to 10th, 00 was showing so checked the rest of the dates and after 31 it

showed 02 instead of 01, so I wore it for a few days and then the watch stopped working, so back to the repairers again, how long it will be before they phone me to tell me it is ready is anyones guess, but after paying them £100, I want a fully functioning watch.

When it first went in the dual date was working perfectly.

One thing he did say was the date change was an unusual mechanism, but that is no excuse, has anyone ever taken one of these apart and can offer an explanation for the weird behavior of the date change.

large.DSCF1641.JPG.d8d5185561b66c39aca0012dddbc7a1e.JPG

Can't help you with your problem @trackrat. Unfortunately your story is something that is becoming quite common. I've had a similar experience three times recently, and two were with the manufacturer, and were put right amicably, the other was not. It might be worth contacting @simon2.

The date changing mechanism is less common because most watches have one large calendar wheel/disk that rotates clockwise to change the date.

Yours has 2 small calendar wheels that change according to how you set them or one at a time (usually the 2nd digit and the 1st one every ten days).

Watches are a pretty straight forward thing. If you work on a fully functional watch then as long as you disassemble and reassemble it correctly and as long as you lubricate it correctly it should all be fine.

I never worked on such movements but I have a feeling that they misplaced the wheels or perhaps some other part that makes the digits jump to 00 after 31... Not sure. Either way you're supposed to check that when you're done with the watch...

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

Ask simon2 it will be pretty easy for Simon to sort that out well easy for him complex for others.

He is rather tide up at the moment so have some patience that won't be a problem in your case I suspect.

It certainly will not be a problem, god only knows when I will get it back.

But if they sort it out I will be pleased.

Had to give him my Steinhart as a replacement till the Gerlach is working properly.

Do you have any other lovely watches I can compliment? Seems that if I wear it and it breaks down after you've given it to me, you provide a return service repair as well. :wicked:  I'll even let you adopt me. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Do you have any other lovely watches I can compliment? Seems that if I wear it and it breaks down after you've given it to me, you provide a return service repair as well. :wicked:  I'll even let you adopt me. :yes:

My nephew is not that well of and only had an old beaten up Casio, so only to pleased to help him.

Have too many in my family to adopt another one. lol 

Edited by trackrat
  • Like 1

I know this is completely unrelated to your topic, but I have been looking into buying a watch made in Poland for a while now. I am (originally) Polish, but there's not much of anything watch related going on in the homeland of my ancestors. I came upon Gerlach watches a while back when researching and was wondering how good they really are quality wise. The designs they produce appeal to me immensely because they are inspired by history and all have a vintage/old look to them. 

The price range seems to be £250-£400 and that's definitely very affordable. I shall give them another look! And good luck with your repairs, I am myself waiting for a big botched repair job to be cleared up at the moment...

• Like 1

I sent my Polish wife on a mission ( holiday) to Gdańsk to find a nice cheap Gerlach.

She found just about everything else but it seems Gerlach are more popular outside Poland :huh:

17 hours ago, Noob101 said:

I know this is completely unrelated to your topic, but I have been looking into buying a watch made in Poland for a while now. I am (originally) Polish, but there's not much of anything watch related going on in the homeland of my ancestors. I came upon Gerlach watches a while back when researching and was wondering how good they really are quality wise. The designs they produce appeal to me immensely because they are inspired by history and all have a vintage/old look to them. 

The price range seems to be £250-£400 and that's definitely very affordable. I shall give them another look! And good luck with your repairs, I am myself waiting for a big botched repair job to be cleared up at the moment...

Quality wise, the are good value for money, as for reliability, I cannot really comment on that as it went wrong when my nephew had it and to get it sorted it was either send it back to Poland or use my local watch repairer, in hindsight I wished I had sent it back to Poland.

But it would not put me off buying another Gerlach watch.

21 minutes ago, trackrat said:

Quality wise, the are good value for money, as for reliability, I cannot really comment on that as it went wrong when my nephew had it and to get it sorted it was either send it back to Poland or use my local watch repairer, in hindsight I wished I had sent it back to Poland.

But it would not put me off buying another Gerlach watch.

Thanks for the response. I have checked out some Polish watch forums recently (luckily my Polish is quite good :)) and they seem to be giving similar feedback. I think various models use various makes of movements so that will be worth looking out for when I buy because I would prefer something of similar quality to Seiko (or that sort of level). I just think the designs are great and the selection is wide enough for me to pick something that will suit a gap in my current collection.

Thanks again! And let us know how you get on with the repairs, we have indeed seen some real disaster stories on the forums recently but it is encouraging to hear happy endings as well. After all we all love watches and there's nothing better than seeing one fixed up and ready to be worn again.

• Like 1

Well I never did get the watch back, always some excuse as to why the date would not work properly, but they did refund me my £100 and gave me an automatic Rotary priced in there shop at £269 as compensation. 

It is just a shame that a shop I have used for repairs for years now without a problem, takes 10 months to sort the first problem out.