• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Phone Camera Pics

Andy300

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Just down from the far bank underwater is an Offer which had just jumped in when it saw me coming along the ladeside.

large.IMG-20200520-WA0005.jpg.4e4c144ccedcf6dd5cb0772367a55458.jpg

I'm jealous :angry:

The only time I've seen otters in the wild was in France a couple of years ago. It was amazing as we just sat down and watched the whole family and cubs playing on the opposite bank.

There are supposed to be otter families living in the local wetlands we visit, but it's always too busy for otter spotting.

1 hour ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

Red Squirrel this morning running from woods over the road, up our drive via the neighbour’s car and into the back garden where I lost him. So not a great photo, but best I could get in a hurry. The Live Photo Version is better!

49916645748_f7df0a0772_b.jpg

Again, jealous. Last time I saw red squirrels was during a family day out to Formby back in the 90s :)

4 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

That's where we go – that's the canal in the pic above – and most of my outdoor pics are from the Lea Valley :)

Best thing I ever did was move out of London 45 years ago, don't get me wrong I love London, but I wouldn't want to live there again....especially as I can have views like this, a five minute walk from home.....

DIeaxW6.jpg

hGAzyzm.jpg

8 minutes ago, John_D said:

Best thing I ever did was move out of London 45 years ago, don't get me wrong I love London, but I wouldn't want to live there again....especially as I can have views like this, a five minute walk from home.....

DIeaxW6.jpg

hGAzyzm.jpg

Stunning isn't it. We're still E17 but this is only a short drive away …

4 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Stunning isn't it. We're still E17 but this is only a short drive away …

We lived in N5 (Highbury) up to the mid 1970's..... E17? hope that you have a car that will comply with the London ULEZ, when it gets extended out to the North Circular next year...:sorry: It will stop me using my Saab estate for trips to Ikea in Tottenham:thumbdown:

On 20/05/2020 at 21:51, it'salivejim said:

Last time I saw red squirrels was during a family day out to Formby back in the 90s :)

I have red squirrels in my garden thankfully due to neighbouring protected urban woodland. Less than a half hour journey away, (in winter) are white mountain hare, a bit north, pine martens, capercaillie, and about 12 years ago, I spent weeks tracking a wildcat, which I eventually caught a quick glimpse of, less two miles from home. It may sound selfish, but I tend not to broadcast where some rare wildlife can be found, because it attracts throngs of people that frighten everything off. There are beavers local as well, which are almost becoming "urban" as they are gnawing trees well within the town boundaries.

0_gd7221451.jpg

• Like 4

Loving all the superb pics of the places members are posting of their walks...some beautiful scenery. I, too, went out for a walk today and took my phone with me.

A walk down the path behind my house leads through woodland...

Ashenbury Park.

... across a brook...

Ashenbury Park.

...then a 2 minute walk up another country path...

Ashenbury Park.

...before emerging into Ashenbury Park. A huge expanse of unspoilt grassland and woods. It's hard to believe that 25 years ago, this was a landfill site for the Reading area.

Looking east...

Ashenbury Park.

...and west.

Ashenbury Park.

The lake.

Ashenbury Park.

And some proud Canada geese parents with their brood.

Ashenbury Park.

All literally 5 minutes walking from my house.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Out for another walk today, and lots to see in the woods behind my house. The trees and early plants are blooming now with the promise of fruits to come later in the year.

The Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scriptus) are nearly over for this year...just a few late ones remain.

Hyacinthoides non-scripta.

The wild Dog Rose (Rosa canina) is flowering right now...these will provide nutritious rose hips for the birds during the autumn and winter months.

Rosa canina. Rosa canina. Rosa canina.

The Common Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea) is bursting into frothy exuberance. There are several lovely garden cultivars of this shrub with bright orange or blood red stems in winter (hence the term 'sanguinea' = blood), one of the best being 'Midwinter Fire'.

Cornus sanguinea. Cornus sanguinea.

My walk took me through a shaded glade where I found wild Honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum), which also used to be known as Woodbine.

Lonicera periclymenum Lonicera periclymenum.

In amongst the honeysuckle, the Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) flowers are just starting to open...these are what make Elderberry cordial, while the later, familiar glossy black berries can be made into wine.

Sambucus nigra.

Another couple of wild flowers, the White Campion (Silene latifolia) and wild Foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) were also flowering in the dappled shade...

Silene latifolia. Silene latifolia. Digitalis purpurea.

Finally, also in the seclusion of the glade, a newly emerged Speckled Wood butterfly.

Butterfly, Speckled wood.

• Like 2