• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
fastmongrel

Hirsch buckle, feels cheap and nasty.

I bought a Brown Hirsch Camel grain strap recently and I am very happy with the strap part its a quality piece of leather that looks like it will age very nicely but the silver buckle!:( well initially it looks OK but if you have a good look at it you soon realise this isnt quality.

Though its not an expensive strap at £34 I still expected Hirsch to at least use a decent Stainless buckle, even plated Brass would have been better than the flimsy feeling piece of...well I dont know what it is but it would blow away if the Cat sneezed at it.  Honestly it looks and feels like something you would get on a £3 strap off ebay.  Really surprised Hirsch would use such junk and it has left me feeling a bit ripped off I certainly wont be buying Hirsch again if this is what they use

I have replaced it a brushed stainless buckle that came off a £10 strap and it looks okay.

The photo doesnt do the cheapness justice

40823553364_83639a85d0_z.jpgAttach0-1 by Stuart, on Flickr

41494932812_db86200522_c.jpgAttach0-2 by Stuart, on Flickr

I've never bought a Hirsch strap but as you - I'd have expected fairly high quality. Did it come from somewhere reputable? 

Yes it came from Watch Obsession via Ebay.  I have bought from them before in fact the buckle I have used in place of the cheapo feeling Hirsch is off one of there straps.

I have worn the strap for a few days now and love the leather.

edit: I have just checked, the ebay seller is called pierstreettime but the paypal payment went to Watch Obsession.

Edited by fastmongrel

34 GBP is quite a lot of money I would say...

You can get better quality buckles for 3-5$ from China...

1 minute ago, gimli said:

34 GBP is quite a lot of money I would say...

You can get better quality buckles for 3-5$ from China...

Its double what I have ever spent before on a strap. 

Hirsch buckles can be very cheap looking and tend to break easily. When I had more watches on straps I used to change the buckles as the straps themselves are good quality. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fastmongrel said:

Its double what I have ever spent before on a strap. 

I'd drop them a polite email, and Hirsch. I had similar issues with a well respected strap maker, and the problem was resolved amicably. :thumbsup:

The last Hirsch strap I bought with a similar buckle was 3 to 4 years ago, and it is fine.

8 minutes ago, ong said:

Hirsch buckles can be very cheap looking and tend to break easily. When I had more watches on straps I used to change the buckles as the straps themselves are good quality. 

I didnt expect a reputable company like Hirsch to use such junk.  Its like buying a new car and finding the tyres are retreads.

I have several Hirsch straps, and buckles including the kind you’ve shared. That style is gnerally for dress straps that are thin. You’ve replaced with a variety that I believe belongs on a thcker, dive-style strap.

I’ve had no problem with Hirsch buckles, though I usually replace with a deployant, including some made by Hirsch. The dress strap style has a better curvature, keeping the strap flat as it bend over the spring bar and through the buckle. Other truly cheap buckles are flat, are lighter and thinner, and make the strap bend more.

Compared with truly cheap buckles off Timex and no-name replacement straps, I find the Hirsch buckles to be better: more substantial, less “wobble,” laying better against the wrist. YMMV.

• Like 1

I'd follow Wrench's suggestion and drop Watchobsession a line; I've bought numerous straps from them in the past and their service has always been top notch. If you feel the they're not up to standard, I'm sure they'd look at it favourably.

@fastmongrel The buckle you had is the aluminium one that comes on a lot of the straps (crap IMHO). They also do stainless steel ones (usually on the alligator straps) you can usually tell because the H on the buckle is raised on the steel ones instead of sunk.

I have some sitting around, so if you want to PM me the width you need and your address I can get one sent out to you.

Edited by animalone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, animalone said:

@fastmongrel The buckle you had is the aluminium one that comes on a lot of the straps (crap IMHO). They also do stainless steel ones (usually on the alligator straps) you can usually tell because the H on the buckle is raised on the steel ones instead of sunk.

I have some sitting around, so if you want to PM me the width you need and your address I can get one sent out to you.

The H is sunk into the buckle so it must be Aluminium.  Thank you for your very generous offer PM is on its way.:thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, NickD said:

I'd follow Wrench's suggestion and drop Watchobsession a line; I've bought numerous straps from them in the past and their service has always been top notch. If you feel the they're not up to standard, I'm sure they'd look at it favourably.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I have used WatchObsession a couple of times and one incident left a sour taste in my mouth. I ordered a generic £10 nato strap and when it arrived I was shocked to find that it was terrible quality. It was no better than the £2 straps you get on eBay. Anyway, I sent it back and instead of getting a full refund they deducted £2 for postage. That's never happened to me before and I wasn't too happy about it. 

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I have used WatchObsession a couple of times and one incident left a sour taste in my mouth. I ordered a generic £10 nato strap and when it arrived I was shocked to find that it was terrible quality. It was no better than the £2 straps you get on eBay. Anyway, I sent it back and instead of getting a full refund they deducted £2 for postage. That's never happened to me before and I wasn't too happy about it. 

Shipping costs aren’t always refundable. Check the fine print before buying.

I bought several straps from Gary including a couple of Hirsch Leonardo (curved end) straps. He shipped the measurement tool and manual to me for loan, which I returned when done. I found that level of trust to be commendable.

3 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Shipping costs aren’t always refundable. Check the fine print before buying.

I bought several straps from Gary including a couple of Hirsch Leonardo (curved end) straps. He shipped the measurement tool and manual to me for loan, which I returned when done. I found that level of trust to be commendable.

Well I wouldn't have needed to send it back if it wasn't such a rubbish strap. Judging by all the premium straps they sell I'd mistakenly assumed their nato straps would be high quality too. But you're right, I should have read the small print. I'm glad you've had such good service from them. I have bought other watch-related tools from them and had no complaints.

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

I have several Hirsch straps, and buckles including the kind you’ve shared. That style is gnerally for dress straps that are thin. You’ve replaced with a variety that I believe belongs on a thcker, dive-style strap.

I’ve had no problem with Hirsch buckles, though I usually replace with a deployant, including some made by Hirsch. The dress strap style has a better curvature, keeping the strap flat as it bend over the spring bar and through the buckle. Other truly cheap buckles are flat, are lighter and thinner, and make the strap bend more.

Compared with truly cheap buckles off Timex and no-name replacement straps, I find the Hirsch buckles to be better: more substantial, less “wobble,” laying better against the wrist. YMMV.

Its not a dress style strap and its not a diver strap either I suppose you could call it an everyday wearing strap, at the price not something you would expect to have a stamped Aluminium buckle.

@animalone Has very kindly sent me a proper Hirsch Stainless Steel buckle.:clap:

Edited by fastmongrel

7 minutes ago, fastmongrel said:

Its not a dress style strap and its not a diver strap either I suppose you could call it an everyday wearing strap, at the price not something you would expect to have a stamped Aluminium buckle.  Fortunately animalone has very kindly sorted out a proper Stainless Steel replacement for me.

I can understand your disappointment. I had a Hirsch Duke a while back and while the buckle wasn't as bad as yours, it wasn't that great either - especially considering the price of the strap.

• Like 2

I too had a bad experience with WatchObsession supplied Hirsch strap, I won't go into specifics, but I left negative feedback only to find they had got it removed after I refused to revise it :( you will notice a lot of feedback revisions!

I think my feedback read something like " helpful, courteous and amiable are words unfortunately not associated with this seller"

Not got a problem with WatchObsession I have bought from them before and had excellent service.  I wouldnt want this thread to descend into a slagging match when they are simply the supplier not the manufacturer.

My problem is with Hirsch and I have emailed them to let them know my thoughts about their recycled milk bottle top buckles. 

• Like 1

I've had clasps that were made of plastic, that bent really easily. Hirsch are considered a premium watch band brand so you would expect better clasps??

Funny. I've never had a problem with a Hirsch buckle and they always felt pretty decent to me.

There are different Hirsch buckles though. The one on my Pure has lasted for ever but it's chunkier than the one in the pic.

26670739617_905cb9e7f5_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 08:35, odyseus10 said:

I think my feedback read something like " helpful, courteous and amiable are words unfortunately not associated with this seller"

Ouch!  Harsh. My interactions with Gary P. were always cordial and friendly, sorry you didn't get the same. Maybe it was that transaction, or the chemistry between y'all. 

I am now a happy Squirrel.  The replacement buckle arrived from @animalone and has been fitted.  Now I can wear my Omega on its new strap and not be anxiously checking every five minutes to make sure the recycled milk bottle top buckle isnt going to give way.

Edited by fastmongrel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

Ouch!  Harsh. My interactions with Gary P. were always cordial and friendly, sorry you didn't get the same. Maybe it was that transaction, or the chemistry between y'all. 

Not sure of the name of the guy but he was a real arse!! Very rude and Abusive. I had to get ebay involved and he only got the feedback removed on a technicality :)

27 minutes ago, odyseus10 said:

Not sure of the name of the guy but he was a real arse!! Very rude and Abusive. I had to get ebay involved and he only got the feedback removed on a technicality :)

Maybe he knew you were a fan of replica watches?

• Haha 1