• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Wrist-shot SOTC April 2018

Apologies for the self-indulgence, but, as my small collection has more than doubled in size (very largely aided by your help, encouragement and occasional goading*) since I last showed it in one place, I thought I would do an update.

So, here is the current state of play . . . . . . . .

The beater (one of only two quartz pieces, and one of only two bracelets)

ADZQsFD.jpg

The "dressy" one (the other quartz, the other bracelet, and one of only two featuring any precious metal)

HuUHxxo.jpg

The rugged one (one of only two "divers")

TmUJqM5.jpg

The "industrial" one (the other diver, the only titanium case, and the only rubber strap)

SsD7h8N.jpg

The chronograph (the only fully PM piece, my only "trinity" offering, and the only mechanical one featuring a solid case-back)

qPlTpFO.jpg

A "smart" one (the only manual wind)

90ACE1Z.jpg

The "Luftwaffe" one (by Stowa)

L60LgEH.jpg

The other "smart" one

Qq7oHET.jpg

And, the incredibly elegant one

OBl9csM.jpg

Many thanks to all who have helped me in my quest to date  --  for your advice and patience. *I think you know who you are :yes:

Still three empty pillows in my watch boxes :rolleyes:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for the self-indulgence, but, as my small collection has more than doubled in size (very largely aided by your help, encouragement and occasional goading*) since I last showed it in one plac

@RWP You flatter me. @yokel has a wonderful collection. Apart from the flieger and the industrial one I would be delighted with any of those...especially the Santos!

While I can’t help on future purchases; I will say this...You sir have excellent taste!

Very impressive mate, you know a collection is going to be something special when the Rolex Datejust is described as a beater :laughing2dw:

Most are not really my cuppa tea really, apart from anything they are all well over my self-imposed budget, but I reckon that Glashutte diver is gorgeous, and is definitely the best of the bunch  :notworthy:

• Thanks 1
Just now, yokel said:

Only two of them are quartz, Davey :biggrin:

I meant style-wise mate, they are a bit too old fashioned for my taste (or lack of... :laughing2dw:) but they're all gorgeous and desirable in their own way.  Just not for me I'm afraid, but that is what makes this forum such a great place, the diversity and a mutual appreciation of other people's collections. 

At a push I could probably put up with both the Stowa's, if my arm was twisted like........... :whistle:

• Haha 1

That’s a beautiful collection of some very special watches, thanks for posting. :notworthy:

You’ve done really well and have a collection to rightly feel proud to own and enjoy. I will look forward to seeing what may fill the three empty spaces in your watch box in the future. :yes:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Filterlab said:

More images of the Panoramadatum please, gorgeous thing!

90ACE1Z.jpg

Thank you Sir.

As it is probably my very favourite of the nine (and I’m a one-man GO appreciation society), I need very little urging to do that.

Enjoy

AQvWwhO.jpg

ugsgXC2.jpg

5kBaL22.jpg

:)

58 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

Great varied collection there. I’d be happy with any/all of those. Love the zenith and surprisingly for me the blue dialled glashutte. The date just beater looks in great condition. Enjoy :thumbsup:

The OQ went for its first ever service last year, at the ripe old age of thirty. It was not in bad nick anyway (very robust indeed), but came back looking like new. Hats off to Rolex service.

• Thanks 1

Some cracking watches here, only one or two that I would really covet but I can appreciate nearly all of them and certainly none that I find objectionable which is a pretty rare state of play.

I just wonder how you are going to fill those last three cushions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 27/04/2018 at 21:52, davidcxn said:

I will look forward to seeing what may fill the three empty spaces in your watch box in the future. :yes:

With apologies for resurrecting an old thread . . . . . 

Some may have noticed that, with the active encouragement of @AVO, @JonnyOldBoy, @ZenArcade, @WRENCH, @wrenny1969 and @RWP (and a little sensible cautionary counsel from @Karrusel), I filled the first of the three empty pillows with a Dornblüth 99.1 (pics here).

Given that I like relatively unusual watches, prefer steel to precious metal (that's a godsend!), like "manufacture" movements, think it's nice to see them through a display back, and don't have a GMT, what do people think of Damasko?

The shape, style and concept appeal to me, though clearly there is far to much verbal diarrhoea on the lower part of the dial. However, I have no direct knowledge of the company or its products. Page and Cooper speak highly, but the immortal words of Miss Rice-Davies come to mind!

Does anyone have real life experience, direct or indirect?

Never owned one but they do have some in house movements (Damasko DK101 I think is their handwind one) I had a look at these in the past because I liked the idea of the hardened steel case, in house movement, something unusual especially for work as I need a watch that can take a bit of a beating.  Online reviews of these watches have been a little cold with the reasons being 1. People struggle to get their heads around a Damasko "dress" watch 2. Their entry level ETA watches are where their popularity is, when they move up in price they start to face stiff competition.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

People struggle to get their heads around a Damasko "dress" watch 

I was specifically looking at the DK200. I don't really see it as a dress watch  --  more a rather "tool" looking object.

Jws6rI3.jpg

22 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Their entry level ETA watches are where their popularity is, when they move up in price they start to face stiff competition.

Here you make a good point. The DK200 is definitely at the fringe of the core offering.

. . . And, there is still far too much damned text, writ too large, in the lower half of the dial.

I think it looks a bit cluttered for a GMT watch,  the case reminds me a little of the Eterna in house watches.  Have you considered Sinn as a better option?  I quite like the look of their 6060 world time for example.

***edit***

The Damasko DK11 has a bezel that could be used as a second time zone and also has an in house movement.

Edited by ZenArcade
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Wouldn't his fit in, I think so. 

dmk-445-damasko-watch-dk-105-blue-alliga

Damasko-DK-105-Manufakturkaliber-H35-1-H

Yes, I like that  --  but I think I would probably come to think of it as too similar in concept to the Dornblüth but (despite its sexy steel) not as well executed.

Just an idea  --  thanks @ZenArcade and @WRENCH  --  back to the drawing board :whistle: