• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
richy176

How to kill off Ivy

Does anyone know how to kill off Ivy> Every year it grows up one side of the house and I have to rip it off, Is there a weedkiller that would destroy the roots.

Also interested to know the best weedkiller for nettles - are the ones from places like B&Q any good e.g. roundup.

7 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Does anyone know how to kill off Ivy> Every year it grows up one side of the house and I have to rip it off, Is there a weedkiller that would destroy the roots.

Also interested to know the best weedkiller for nettles - are the ones from places like B&Q any good e.g. roundup.

Gallup XL Super Strength. Around £26 for 5 litres on ebay/Amazon. Read the specification and instructions before you order it. It dilutes 20ml / 1litre water, so I'll last you for ages.

• Like 1

I buy Roundup at Costco, use it on small weeds that crop up in the cracks of my driveway (cement), near my foundation. But I'm a little concerned about runoff getting into the environment. 

If you don't want to use a glyphosate based weed killer, there's a "home remedy" of one gallon of vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salt, and ¼ cup Dawn dish soap (I would substitute Castile soap, which is biodegradable). But this home remedy isn't a systemic killer, so you might to reapply. If you use horticultural vinegar, wear adequate protection (long sleeves, eye protection, gloves). 

I've also read that boiling water on the plant or roots can kill smaller weeds. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/pesticides-herbicides/we-may-be-consuming-more-glyphosate-than-ever-before/

https://www.consumerreports.org/food/scientists-raise-concerns-over-glyphosate/

Edited by Chromejob

Any weedkiller containing Glyphosate, which is systemic, meaning it is taken in through the leaves and transported throughout the plant via its vascular system, including the roots. It is one of the safest herbicides available. It is completely neutralised on contact with the soil, and is safe to use around woody stems. It is only absorbed by green growth...the younger, the better. Trim your ivy to the ground and when new growth sprouts, spray the young leaves...they absorb the chemical much quicker. Several commercial brands are available to the amatuer user, 'Roundup' being the most common. For ivy and brambles, the more concentrated 'SBK Brushwood killer' is a better bet. As a professional landscaper, I have access to more concentrated versions, but you need a licence to buy and use these. Be aware that overspray will kill anything else green it touches, so use on a calm day, and keep away from lawns. In my early days, I once glyphosated a path, then walked across a lawn...a month later, you could see exactly where I'd walked! Don't expect immediate results...glyphosate can take up to a month to show effect, and for really tough weeds, you may need to re-apply.

• Like 1

As above, all good advice from Rog as ever. You need the spray to contact green leaves, ripping off the top growth then spraying the stems or soil will do abs zilch. Glyphosate is wonderful stuff and pretty safe and is in fact about the only thing still alowed to be used without a biohazard suit. Last time I tried half heartedly to kill some Ivy it took about 18 months. You need to do it properly and with purpose.

Padders L3 RHS Cert in Hort (Yes really)

• Like 2

Gallup contains Glyphosate, and if you need to avoid overspray, use a light hardboard panel held upright to protect anything that you don't want contaminated by drifting overspray, and move the board as you go. Anything "difficult" I double the mix ratio and apply it with a paint brush. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

And be sure to repost new topics on this subject, err, I mean reapply after a few weeks. Let us know how you get on. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chromejob said:

And be sure to repost new topics on this subject, err, I mean reapply after a few weeks. Let us know how you get on. 

I use distilled vinegar around the house for tasks such as lime scale removal (we Limies have very hard water in most of England). 

I've never used it for weed control, but have used it to remove light rust from old hand tools. I believe Vinegar has some antiseptic capability also?

Not to be easily dismissed, imho.:)

As an addendum to what I wrote above, I did a little research on glyphosate based weedkillers ( it has been 20 years since I did my dip.hort.) and see that SBK Brushwood Killer no longer contains glyphosate, however it is still effective on tougher plants such as nettles, brambles, dock and couch grass. I see that the product @WRENCH mentioned above (Gallup) is available to buy online, and is the same strength (360g/litre of glyphosate salt) that I get from my horticultural wholesaler. It does say that the end user must be competent and comply with the industry codes of practice. I use this same concentration of glyphos at a dilution rate of 500ml in 20 litres of water (knapsack sprayer) or 25ml/litre.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=262979755886&category=50365&pm=1&ds=0&t=1526400936000&ver=0

• Like 1

Thanks guys - ordered the Gallup and a sprayer so `look out weeds, here I come'.

Just for @Chromejob I have in mind `how to get rid of nettles'; `how to get rid of annoying weeds'; `how to kill weeds and stop them returning' and will no doubt think of some more. Just have a little patience. :russian_roulette:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, richy176 said:

Thanks guys - ordered the Gallup and a sprayer so `look out weeds, here I come'.

Just for @Chromejob I have in mind `how to get rid of nettles'; `how to get rid of annoying weeds'; `how to kill weeds and stop them returning' and will no doubt think of some more. Just have a little patience. :russian_roulette:

"I have weeds, trying to get rid  of them, whatcha got, show me your weeds, let's discuss, cheers" :whistle: 

And of course "don't like the topic of weeds?, don't read this, on the honour system, post your own new topic if you don't like mine" :rolleyes: 

BTW, after what happened in Texas yesterday, all avatars featuring handguns are hereby declared in bad taste, please refrain from using them. Maybe a mod will remove them at least temporarily. YES, I am joking. I see no connection between emojis in forum posts and sad international news.