• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Primaxuk

Omega Omatic Seamaster battery problem

Hi guys just wondering I have a problem with my  Omega Omatic Seamaster it is showing that needs a battery which I believe is  rechargeable I have had on the watch winder for about 2 hours and it has now stopped then I wound it up 30 turns and it worked again then stopped  isn't  that why it has this rechargeable battery so when the watches power goes down the battery kicks in it has also shown the second hand skipping ever 5 seconds that the tell needs new battery if any of  you know what battery and where to buy one  it is and could I fit myself   and  best way to do it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Peter

Hi,

I used to have a Omegamatic Seamaster (that's the 200m variety, correct?) and in my experience you actually need to sometimes replace the capacitor. Mine died like 2-3 year after I bought it but after replacement it worked perfectly for the next year or so until I sold it. The symptoms were similar, it would actually work on and off but would not be able to keep charge.

You can find battery specifications online if you google the reference number of the model you have. There are various ones which would work, but I think Omega have one that they recommend as their favoured battery. 

Hope that helps - I may be talking about a different watch!

omegha.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noob101 said:

Hi,

I used to have a Omegamatic Seamaster (that's the 200m variety, correct?) and in my experience you actually need to sometimes replace the capacitor. Mine died like 2-3 year after I bought it but after replacement it worked perfectly for the next year or so until I sold it. The symptoms were similar, it would actually work on and off but would not be able to keep charge.

You can find battery specifications online if you google the reference number of the model you have. There are various ones which would work, but I think Omega have one that they recommend as their favoured battery. 

Hope that helps - I may be talking about a different watch!

omegha.jpg

Hi thanks that the watch did you change it yourself  or did you take to omega dealer thanks very much for your help so far

Thanks in Advance

Peter

I didn't change it myself because I didn't know what the fault was so I sent it to a watch repairer I used to use and he told me all it needed was a change of capacitor and fixed it up for me. He also did some minor work on the bracelet and I think altogether with getting the new battery and bracelet tightening and polish etc it all cost around £90 so it is not an expensive fix.

I absolutely love this watch by the way, I always feel bad when people bring it up because I sold it buy a Seamaster 300m Pro and I do regret selling it. In hindsight I should have saved up for longer and bough the Seamaster Pro outright and had both watches. Especially since it seems the Omegamatics are starting to get more expensive nowadays.

• Like 1

@Noob101 Thanks this one of mine once I get that little problem sorted will be up for sale if you are interested in it also in very good condition still can't find the part lol.

1 hour ago, Noob101 said:

I didn't change it myself because I didn't know what the fault was so I sent it to a watch repairer I used to use and he told me all it needed was a change of capacitor and fixed it up for me. He also did some minor work on the bracelet and I think altogether with getting the new battery and bracelet tightening and polish etc it all cost around £90 so it is not an expensive fix.

I absolutely love this watch by the way, I always feel bad when people bring it up because I sold it buy a Seamaster 300m Pro and I do regret selling it. In hindsight I should have saved up for longer and bough the Seamaster Pro outright and had both watches. Especially since it seems the Omegamatics are starting to get more expensive nowadays.

19 hours ago, Primaxuk said:

@Noob101 Thanks this one of mine once I get that little problem sorted will be up for sale if you are interested in it also in very good condition still can't find the part lol.

I have a couple other purchases in mind currently but if the price is right I might very well be interested :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Primaxuk said:

3 hours ago, Noob101 said:

I have a couple other purchases in mind currently but if the price is right I might very well be interested :thumbsup:

Probably best to discuss this in private messaging. :yes: 

These are no end of trouble. Just like the early Seiko kinetics, if you dont wear it often the capacitor will deteriorate and fail. Here is a wiki page discussing changing the cap over to a rechargeable cell: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Seamaster_Omegamatic

I has one that got through 3 cells in as many years ( because I didn’t wear it enough) which rather defeats the object of it charging itself. They look OK but don’t work well unless worn regularly  

ps you can’t overwind these, if 30 turns isn’t enough, try 120 or 1000 turns!

Edited by Padders
  • Thanks 1

Is the only lume on the ends of the hour, minute, and second hands? Can't make it very easy to read at night.... :(  But I do like all the colors of the hands, dial markings, lume. 

On 19/05/2018 at 11:30, Noob101 said:

omegha.jpg