• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Interesting that audits are carried out by subcontractors I never gave it much though, a bloke would just turn up once a year at the last place but on thinking about it previously at another place I worked at all of our U.K. facilities held UKAS accreditation and it was iirc to ISO 1725 and the auditors obviously didn’t work for ISO.

Yep, think of it as being like weights and measures, there is an internationally agreed standard which is policed by any number of different bodies to a greater or lesser extent depending what you are doing and where you are. The function of ISO is just to be the arbiters of what that standard should be.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This caught my eye yesterday in one of "our favourite" high street stores . Citizen NH8381-63L £199 reduced from RRP of £399. This one, minus the interchangeable bracelet and "peli" cas

I've one of those as well, it was described as "diver style" rather than a diver's watch when I bought it. Solid watch, seems well built which you expect from Citizen, easy to read etc.  

Just as an asides given a few of the older comments unlike COCS certification who are an independent third party testing facility where they put a manufacturers movement through a number of physical t

@Perlative Cernometer I have already said and I know from personal experience, that contractors, whatever, check adherence to the standards set by ISO. Not ISO themselves. But I'm a simple soul and not a pedant, so I am happy to split hairs if I have to. 

You have provided the answer to my surprise 'self certification' is allowed, thanks for that! 

So, having looked a bit more at COSC, they are simply adhering to ISO specs as well. Whilst I accept they are 3rd party from a watch manufacturer, they are serving their masters, however it is dressed up, which is the Swiss watch industry. So not quite so independent really. 

So in summary, Bremont, as an example, are adhering to a set of standards, laid down by ISO, in respect of movement accuracy, that is exactly the same as COSC, thus they are entitled to use the term 'chronometer.'

But I agree with you in that you pays your money and take your choice. If you think having a 3rd party organisation, is better, than so be it. I'll buy into the watch first, then secondly, worry about whether it's a chronometer, of which I have six, and I like the fact they are all via COSC, including 3 Bremonts and will settle for the same via Bremont, in due course. 

And I have learnt that each individual movement is actually tested, 1.8 million per year - impressive. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Caller. said:

So, having looked a bit more at COSC, they are simply adhering to ISO specs as well. Whilst I accept they are 3rd party from a watch manufacturer, they are serving their masters, however it is dressed up, which is the Swiss watch industry. So not quite so independent really. 

So in summary, Bremont, as an example, are adhering to a set of standards, laid down by ISO, in respect of movement accuracy, that is exactly the same as COSC, thus they are entitled to use the term 'chronometer.'

But I agree with you in that you pays your money and take your choice. If you think having a 3rd party organisation, is better, than so be it. I'll buy into the watch first, then secondly, worry about whether it's a chronometer, of which I have six, and I like the fact they are all via COSC, including 3 Bremonts and will settle for the same via Bremont, in due course. 

And I have learnt that each individual movement is actually tested, 1.8 million per year - impressive. 

Well, how independent or otherwise COSC might be it's basically just another level of quality control backing up the claims of the manufacturers. I have to say from a personal point of view likewise I'm not that bothered, If I'm buying from a reputable brand I will trust that their product is decent and will do what they say it will. 

..If I'm buying from some Chinese mushroom brand I'll be reasonably impressed if they can manage to spell chronometer when they write it on the dial and assume it's b****x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Well, how independent or otherwise COSC might be it's basically just another level of quality control backing up the claims of the manufacturers. I have to say from a personal point of view likewise I'm not that bothered, If I'm buying from a reputable brand I will trust that their product is decent and will do what they say it will. 

..If I'm buying from some Chinese mushroom brand I'll be reasonably impressed if they can manage to spell chronometer when they write it on the dial and assume it's b****x

large.20210106_164400.jpg.b3289c0fe5bbe240f4a888530ace768b.jpg

35 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

large.20210106_164400.jpg.b3289c0fe5bbe240f4a888530ace768b.jpg

That's the highly sought after "Superlative Ceronometer". The lower value Perlative Ceronometer is just as good, but doesn't have the same cache. Sort of like comparing Tudor to Rolex.

1*PDUj7fA7oHb14NQqJWg8vw.jpeg

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

That's the highly sought after "Superlative Ceronometer". The lower value Perlative Ceronometer is just as good, but doesn't have the same cache. Sort of like comparing Tudor to Rolex.

1*PDUj7fA7oHb14NQqJWg8vw.jpeg

Didn't know they'd done an upgraded model. To be fair the Perlative Ceronometer version I had actually ran within COSC tolerances! Couldn't believe it!

...kept it up for literally weeks before it gave up the ghost.

3 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Didn't know they'd done an upgraded model. To be fair the Perlative Ceronometer version I had actually ran within COSC tolerances! Couldn't believe it!

...kept it up for literally weeks before it gave up the ghost.

I think the upgrade was in translation only. :laughing2dw:

What really annoys me is that, in my experience, some of these cheap sub £50 Chinese watches run more accurately than a £400 Seiko, as do the £100-£150 offerings using Seiko movements. :bash: No backup though, bin when they stop.

6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I think the upgrade was in translation only. :laughing2dw:

What really annoys me is that, in my experience, some of these cheap sub £50 Chinese watches run more accurately than a £400 Seiko, as do the £100-£150 offerings using Seiko movements. :bash: No backup though, bin when they stop.

I bought one (a Tevise) last year for 25 quid, simply to see what it was like.   To be honest it was ok for the money.

I didn't wear it ,so sold it for 29 !