• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Nearly bought a new watch yesterday!

Caller.

A little while back, I saw a thread on the CW forum about the Mido Multifort Escape and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. So yesterday, as I am in Bangkok again, I had a really good look at them.

Details of the watch here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mido-multifort-escape-hands-on

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/mido-multifort-escape-watch/

I saw three of the 4 versions available (the exception being a dark blue dial) and surprised myself by finding the much flouted aged lume Horween strap edition the least attractive of the 3 versions I saw. I could happily buy the watch head and ditch the strap, which I didn't like it at all and I assume it's the reason for the price hike as it's more  expensive than the others? But the watch / strap combination just didn't work for me at all. However, I already have a watch with vintage style hands and markers (CW Trident) and not sure I want another, albeit, I see such usage as really being just another colour scheme, so widely is it now used.

Of the other two, one had a black dial and light-ish / greyish strap and was absolutely fine but a bit unexceptional, although I feel a new strap would improve it. So the model that really caught my eye was the one with a dark green dial - described as either Khaki or Olive in the above articles - which I liked very much and which looking head on was very discreet, especially with the subtle play on light caused by the Geneva stripes, which were much more visible with the watch turned at an angle. 

The PVD gun metal case and effect was very attractive and the case design and height made it very comfortable on the wrist and despite the size, it's not a heavy watch, with the 44mm case being a perfect fit for me. I can even forgive the usual Mido trait of using too small movements (for this watch it's one of their 'own'), which is only demonstrated by the date window above the 6. The rear display window is attractive in a small (literally) way, but you know what? I really like this watch and see it as a great all rounder for when out and about for pretty much any circumstance and I don't really have an all-rounder like this, despite having 16 watches.

I almost pulled the trigger but checking the day's exchange rate before I did and finding it the lowest since I moved here 3.5 years ago (big shock) and assuming that was down to Mark Carney (please go) opening his g*b again, I decided timing to be all important and that wasn't today!

Actually, I had to laugh when the salesman, who was extremely helpful and patient, initially said no discount available, which is unheard of here, but then proceeded to reduce the price from 33,700 by about 5000 baht and then later docked off another 2000!

Anyway here's a couple of real life pics (the first having been rotated to show the 12 at the top) taken through the cling film they cover watches with here and under the studio lights!

Any thoughts, good or bad?

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

Edited by JoT
Images
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Morning Phil

Something different but personally I prefer my original old (tat) 1950's version...

IMG_2324.JPG.80a1caf50a69e99b423c9ab9dd83a20b.JPG

:thumbsup:

Very nice, and from what the salesman said, an updated or similar version of that (as posted by Scott the other day) and which I had a good look at yesterday, is currently their most popular model. Mido are very popular here and widely available.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWP said:

No image whatever i do :(

Yeah, apologies about that. Shouldn't have cut and paste. Hopefully, these will work?

20180525_142043.jpg

Or just the one! Not sure what the problem is with the 2nd one, but I can't use it!

Actually, I had to laugh, as they're clearly aiming for a young audience with this watch as shown in this vid. So when I get this, maybe I'll have to go jumping, leaping and climbing all over the Sydney Harbour Bridge as well! Years ago I did get pretty high up there, but when I go high, I prefer terra firma under me!

16 minutes ago, JoT said:

Not sure about the green dial version but the black dial versions look nice, I agree on the detailing, very good

I actually like Green, so it's okay for me and it's a strange watch, as I had to get up close to initially confirm it was green, as it was very dark, albeit very legible. It's very much a case of the light playing on the dial being a factor here. I liked the black as well, although in the two stores I have looked at this watch, the black dialled version had a light grey strap and not black as featured in the articles above.

Just now, Caller. said:

I actually like Green, so it's okay for me and it's a strange watch, as I had to get up close to initially confirm it was green, as it was very dark, albeit very legible. It's very much a case of the light playing on the dial being a factor here. I liked the black as well, although in the two stores I have looked at this watch, the black dialled version had a light grey strap and not black as featured in the articles above.

It's hard to photograph a green dial I think, memories of a green dial watch I once had! Nice clean lines though, I like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caller. said:

Yeah, apologies about that. Shouldn't have cut and paste. Hopefully, these will work?

Yeah, cut 'n paste of image link or image address link will not do. :nono:  Follow the instructions for "Insert other Media" from Gallery images, please!  

Thanks to @JoT for fixing it up. 

I like the "old tat," too. Lovely! 

13 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Yeah, cut 'n paste of image link or image address link will not do. :nono:  Follow the instructions for "Insert other Media" from Gallery images, please!  

Aaargggghhhhh! I can't okay, not for a couple of months now. Ask google why as they have hacked off a lot of users. Cut and paste works fine normally, just the issue with the formatting and I don't understand why. It's a  one off. Elsewhere I have to use postimage to get around the google nonsense, but not here. 

:sorry: I thought you were hitting the bug where you cut and paste an image address from the TWF gallery and it borks up the page display. If using a 3rd party site, use their "Share" tools, NOT just cutting and pasting. Please. Mods shouldn't have to edit members' posts to correct borked up image display. :rolleyes: 

9 hours ago, Caller. said:

Great - tell me how.

The thread on sharing shows you how for Postimages, Imgur, Flickr ... you're using Google Photos? Have to check...

9 hours ago, Caller. said:

I don't think mods have been involved here at all.

Look at your post yesterday at 02:27. AT the bottom: 

Edited yesterday at 14:03 by JoT 
Images

:naughty: 

Edited by Chromejob
testing image linking in Google Photos (photos.google.com)

On 26/05/2018 at 02:27, Caller. said:

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Back to your topic now, okay? I like this ^ one lots. Nicely balanced dial design, fairly clear to read (I might have trouble with the small sweep seconds pip w/o glasses :sorry:). The red recedes a bit to let the numerals and hands stand out like they should. :yes:  

Google tells me 26,700 Thai baht is US$837.45. Wow. I'd be seriously tempted. And by the way, it looks great with your mokume gane band. What's that made of? :wicked: (Looks like white gold and yellow gold, with stones...?)

• Like 1

On 26/05/2018 at 07:27, Caller. said:

A little while back, I saw a thread on the CW forum about the Mido Multifort Escape and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. So yesterday, as I am in Bangkok again, I had a really good look at them.

Details of the watch here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mido-multifort-escape-hands-on

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/mido-multifort-escape-watch/

I saw three of the 4 versions available (the exception being a dark blue dial) and surprised myself by finding the much flouted aged lume Horween strap edition the least attractive of the 3 versions I saw. I could happily buy the watch head and ditch the strap, which I didn't like it at all and I assume it's the reason for the price hike as it's more  expensive than the others? But the watch / strap combination just didn't work for me at all. However, I already have a watch with vintage style hands and markers (CW Trident) and not sure I want another, albeit, I see such usage as really being just another colour scheme, so widely is it now used.

Of the other two, one had a black dial and light-ish / greyish strap and was absolutely fine but a bit unexceptional, although I feel a new strap would improve it. So the model that really caught my eye was the one with a dark green dial - described as either Khaki or Olive in the above articles - which I liked very much and which looking head on was very discreet, especially with the subtle play on light caused by the Geneva stripes, which were much more visible with the watch turned at an angle. 

The PVD gun metal case and effect was very attractive and the case design and height made it very comfortable on the wrist and despite the size, it's not a heavy watch, with the 44mm case being a perfect fit for me. I can even forgive the usual Mido trait of using too small movements (for this watch it's one of their 'own'), which is only demonstrated by the date window above the 6. The rear display window is attractive in a small (literally) way, but you know what? I really like this watch and see it as a great all rounder for when out and about for pretty much any circumstance and I don't really have an all-rounder like this, despite having 16 watches.

I almost pulled the trigger but checking the day's exchange rate before I did and finding it the lowest since I moved here 3.5 years ago (big shock) and assuming that was down to Mark Carney (please go) opening his g*b again, I decided timing to be all important and that wasn't today!

Actually, I had to laugh when the salesman, who was extremely helpful and patient, initially said no discount available, which is unheard of here, but then proceeded to reduce the price from 33,700 by about 5000 baht and then later docked off another 2000!

Anyway here's a couple of real life pics (the first having been rotated to show the 12 at the top) taken through the cling film they cover watches with here and under the studio lights!

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

I like this one, the black watch and tan leather strap look great together, i`ve got a rotary in the same colour scheme.Understated but still eye catching with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Which one did you get?  The green dial version is hideous I want one!:biggrin: How much did it end up costing?

Yes, I got the green one. I have a phone pic, but the hosting site is undergoing maintenance! I'll be following Martins advice soon and doing my own thing. That accounts for the post above yours being messed up. I got a discount of 27%, 15% was on the table as soon as I asked to view the watch, the rest my other half negotiated and I think she only did that because she caught me out! Haven't worked out the price in UK pounds yet, but prices are similar everywhere. It's nearly midnight here and have a full day tomorrow, back home on Monday, so I'll get full details up then, or Tuesday.

I am very pleased with the watch!

3 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

What an interesting choice, dear Caller. I am not quite sure if the green dial would be my choice but I have a feeling that in the flesh, it could be a bit of a beauty. I look forward to a report and a few more pics, and for people like myself, a smaller version of the model would be most welcome.:)

Thanks Honour. I think the green is largely pretty discreet. It's a big watch, but not tall and very flat against my wrist, if that makes sense.

Pam was shopping in M&S, so I blandly said I'd wander upstairs (in the mall) to check out the 'watch galleria'. It was actually the 3rd time I'd had it on the wrist and got caught in the act, but she loved the watch, actually encouraged me to go ahead and even used her card to buy it, for me to repay when the exchange rate is better! Who was I to say no?

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

A few phone pics taken as a passenger in the other half's car earlier. Weather was bloody awful!

20180610_150314.jpg

20180610_151045.jpg

20180610_151743.jpg

And one from the sale process yesterday. Different lights certainly play on the dial of this watch. It goes from black, to a dark greeny brown,  to a much lighter green.

20180609_172613.jpg

• Thanks 1