UK Watch Forum banner

Nearly bought a new watch yesterday!

3K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Caller. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A little while back, I saw a thread on the CW forum about the Mido Multifort Escape and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. So yesterday, as I am in Bangkok again, I had a really good look at them.

Details of the watch here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mido-multifort-escape-hands-on

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/mido-multifort-escape-watch/

I saw three of the 4 versions available (the exception being a dark blue dial) and surprised myself by finding the much flouted aged lume Horween strap edition the least attractive of the 3 versions I saw. I could happily buy the watch head and ditch the strap, which I didn't like it at all and I assume it's the reason for the price hike as it's more expensive than the others? But the watch / strap combination just didn't work for me at all. However, I already have a watch with vintage style hands and markers (CW Trident) and not sure I want another, albeit, I see such usage as really being just another colour scheme, so widely is it now used.

Of the other two, one had a black dial and light-ish / greyish strap and was absolutely fine but a bit unexceptional, although I feel a new strap would improve it. So the model that really caught my eye was the one with a dark green dial - described as either Khaki or Olive in the above articles - which I liked very much and which looking head on was very discreet, especially with the subtle play on light caused by the Geneva stripes, which were much more visible with the watch turned at an angle.

The PVD gun metal case and effect was very attractive and the case design and height made it very comfortable on the wrist and despite the size, it's not a heavy watch, with the 44mm case being a perfect fit for me. I can even forgive the usual Mido trait of using too small movements (for this watch it's one of their 'own'), which is only demonstrated by the date window above the 6. The rear display window is attractive in a small (literally) way, but you know what? I really like this watch and see it as a great all rounder for when out and about for pretty much any circumstance and I don't really have an all-rounder like this, despite having 16 watches.

I almost pulled the trigger but checking the day's exchange rate before I did and finding it the lowest since I moved here 3.5 years ago (big shock) and assuming that was down to Mark Carney (please go) opening his g*b again, I decided timing to be all important and that wasn't today!

Actually, I had to laugh when the salesman, who was extremely helpful and patient, initially said no discount available, which is unheard of here, but then proceeded to reduce the price from 33,700 by about 5000 baht and then later docked off another 2000!

Anyway here's a couple of real life pics (the first having been rotated to show the 12 at the top) taken through the cling film they cover watches with here and under the studio lights!

Any thoughts, good or bad?

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Morning Phil

Something different but personally I prefer my original old (tat) 1950's version...

IMG_2324.JPG.80a1caf50a69e99b423c9ab9dd83a20b.JPG

:thumbsup:
Very nice, and from what the salesman said, an updated or similar version of that (as posted by Scott the other day) and which I had a good look at yesterday, is currently their most popular model. Mido are very popular here and widely available.

#8 ·
I actually like Green, so it's okay for me and it's a strange watch, as I had to get up close to initially confirm it was green, as it was very dark, albeit very legible. It's very much a case of the light playing on the dial being a factor here. I liked the black as well, although in the two stores I have looked at this watch, the black dialled version had a light grey strap and not black as featured in the articles above.

#6 ·
No image whatever i do :(
Yeah, apologies about that. Shouldn't have cut and paste. Hopefully, these will work?

20180525_142043.jpg

Or just the one! Not sure what the problem is with the 2nd one, but I can't use it!

Actually, I had to laugh, as they're clearly aiming for a young audience with this watch as shown in this vid. So when I get this, maybe I'll have to go jumping, leaping and climbing all over the Sydney Harbour Bridge as well! Years ago I did get pretty high up there, but when I go high, I prefer terra firma under me!

#11 ·
Yeah, apologies about that. Shouldn't have cut and paste. Hopefully, these will work?
Yeah, cut 'n paste of image link or image address link will not do. :nono: Follow the instructions for "Insert other Media" from Gallery images, please!

Thanks to @JoT for fixing it up.

I like the "old tat," too. Lovely!

#13 ·
:sorry: I thought you were hitting the bug where you cut and paste an image address from the TWF gallery and it borks up the page display. If using a 3rd party site, use their "Share" tools, NOT just cutting and pasting. Please. Mods shouldn't have to edit members' posts to correct borked up image display. :rolleyes:

#17 ·

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg
Back to your topic now, okay? I like this ^ one lots. Nicely balanced dial design, fairly clear to read (I might have trouble with the small sweep seconds pip w/o glasses :sorry: ). The red recedes a bit to let the numerals and hands stand out like they should. :yes:

Google tells me 26,700 Thai baht is US$837.45. Wow. I'd be seriously tempted. And by the way, it looks great with your mokume gane band. What's that made of? :wicked: (Looks like white gold and yellow gold, with stones...?)

Reactions: Caller.
#18 ·
A little while back, I saw a thread on the CW forum about the Mido Multifort Escape and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. So yesterday, as I am in Bangkok again, I had a really good look at them.

Details of the watch here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mido-multifort-escape-hands-on

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/mido-multifort-escape-watch/

I saw three of the 4 versions available (the exception being a dark blue dial) and surprised myself by finding the much flouted aged lume Horween strap edition the least attractive of the 3 versions I saw. I could happily buy the watch head and ditch the strap, which I didn't like it at all and I assume it's the reason for the price hike as it's more expensive than the others? But the watch / strap combination just didn't work for me at all. However, I already have a watch with vintage style hands and markers (CW Trident) and not sure I want another, albeit, I see such usage as really being just another colour scheme, so widely is it now used.

Of the other two, one had a black dial and light-ish / greyish strap and was absolutely fine but a bit unexceptional, although I feel a new strap would improve it. So the model that really caught my eye was the one with a dark green dial - described as either Khaki or Olive in the above articles - which I liked very much and which looking head on was very discreet, especially with the subtle play on light caused by the Geneva stripes, which were much more visible with the watch turned at an angle.

The PVD gun metal case and effect was very attractive and the case design and height made it very comfortable on the wrist and despite the size, it's not a heavy watch, with the 44mm case being a perfect fit for me. I can even forgive the usual Mido trait of using too small movements (for this watch it's one of their 'own'), which is only demonstrated by the date window above the 6. The rear display window is attractive in a small (literally) way, but you know what? I really like this watch and see it as a great all rounder for when out and about for pretty much any circumstance and I don't really have an all-rounder like this, despite having 16 watches.

I almost pulled the trigger but checking the day's exchange rate before I did and finding it the lowest since I moved here 3.5 years ago (big shock) and assuming that was down to Mark Carney (please go) opening his g*b again, I decided timing to be all important and that wasn't today!

Actually, I had to laugh when the salesman, who was extremely helpful and patient, initially said no discount available, which is unheard of here, but then proceeded to reduce the price from 33,700 by about 5000 baht and then later docked off another 2000!

Anyway here's a couple of real life pics (the first having been rotated to show the 12 at the top) taken through the cling film they cover watches with here and under the studio lights!

Mido-Multifort-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg
I like this one, the black watch and tan leather strap look great together, i`ve got a rotary in the same colour scheme.Understated but still eye catching with it.

#25 ·
A few phone pics taken as a passenger in the other half's car earlier. Weather was bloody awful!

20180610_150314.jpg

20180610_151045.jpg

20180610_151743.jpg

And one from the sale process yesterday. Different lights certainly play on the dial of this watch. It goes from black, to a dark greeny brown, to a much lighter green.

20180609_172613.jpg

#36 ·
There's one left on Amazon UK. :yes:

Quite tempting too. I do like the green one, and this;

70390.jpg
I just looked at Amazon UK and the price I have seen of 663.69 is significantly more than I paid. Well, I haven't paid yet, the other half used her credit card, so I have until the end of the month. At the moment the exchange rate is very low, hopefully it will go up a little by then!

#28 ·
I'm looking at the Multifort Gent and Multifort Escape on Amazon.com now ... so affordable, so attractive. Very tempted to find some in the flesh to see for myself.

#29 ·
I got back from Bangkok later than thought. Plan to post more pics on this tomorrow and my trip to the wonderful AP exhibition in Bkk.

But have to show this. Just look at my flower! Long story about this plant, that I have nurtured from near death. I couldn't believe when I got back that it had actually flowered. Chuffed as anything.

IMG_0092-025.jpg

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
PICTURE HEAVY FROM NOW ON :thumbsup:

I suspect that Mido's Multifort Escape is very much a marmite watch. At least in the colour range I chose. But the colour combination has been an ongoing attraction to me, with a darker green dial and a lighter green or light coloured strap. I have bought 3-4 similar watches over the years. I can't tell you much about them, they all fell by the wayside and were generally cheap (I was going to say crap, but as one was a Timex, I didn't want to upset anyone :biggrin: ).

So when I saw this latest version, I was immediately interested, but needed to see it in the flesh. That was easy, as Mido is a popular brand in Thailand and widely available, usually at concessions in the watch sections of large shopping malls - I just checked, there are 20 such outlets in Bangkok alone.

I have borrowed the technical details from Monochrome -

• Case: 44 mm x 11.88 mm - PVD-coated steel - Sapphire crystal with double-sided AR coating - transparent caseback - water resistant to 100m

• Movement: self-winding Mido calibre 80 (ETA C07.111 - based on ETA 2824.2) - Ø25.60 mm - 21,600 vibrations per hour - power reserve 80 hours - 25 jewels - hours, minutes, seconds and date

• Strap: calf skin with pin buckle

• Reference: M032.607.36.050.00

The case material will either be liked or not. It's a PVD coated 'distressed' gun metal grey over 316L SS and I really like it in this colour combination. Actually, I really like it in any case! Not mentioned above, but it has a domed crystal as well. So for me, the bottom line is the colour combo works, I like the Geneva stripes, which is a feature of the Multifort range of watches in any case, I like the case size, the incredible clarity and the strap is very comfortable, suede effect and quite soft leather, that tapers from 23mm at the lugs to 20mm at the buckle and I like the prominent non-locking crown. The watch comes with a 2-year warranty.

But it's the Geneva stripes that makes this watch and the way the light plays on the dial, giving it so many different appearances. Sometimes the stripes are a prominent bright green, at other times they are barely visible, sometimes they can't be seen at all and the dial looks brown and other times black. But at all times, the numerals on the dial and the hour and minute hands are clearly legible. However, the seconds hand sometimes disappears and you have to look for the small white triangle to place it.

I haven't got any lume pics yet, but the hands are very bright, even brighter than the Seiko I was comparing it to on my bedside table. However, the numbers aren't as bright as the hands, although still clearly visible, but not as bright as the markers on my Seiko. But easily good enough for me to read without needing to bring the watch nearer. So no issues there.

On the flip side, my issue with Mido watches is the physical size of the movement when compared to the actual watch size and that is the case here as well, but not too noticeable, as it doesn't have a day window as well. The placement of the date window and the fact it is the same width as an individual stripe, means it is quite discreet, although I would have preferred a colour coded window, or none at all. The bottom line is that it's not an issue for me, decided after having the watch on my wrist 3 times before purchasing.

So for me, this is a great purchase. It's a watch / strap combo I am very comfortable with and is the ultimate casual watch that goes colour wise, with my usual mix of blues, blacks, browns, Khaki and olive type greens. I just know this watch is going to get a lot of wear. Incidentally, 2018 is Mido's 100th anniversary. Pretty good going really.

The packaging was what you would expect at the price point. A good size, very solid well put together box with a compartment under for the papers.

So onto some pics, first the packaging. When I opened the inner box, the watch dial had been covered with the cleaning cloth as extra protection. Although the watch remained in it's 'slot' during the journey back to the condo in Bangkok and then via train, bus and taxi, when I returned to Hua Hin yesterday.

Outer box.

IMG_0024-076.jpg

Inner box.

IMG_0027-075.jpg

Where the paperwork sit's under the inner box.

IMG_0029-072.jpg

A snug fit.

IMG_0030-066.jpg

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Might as well continue with the crown. It's more prominent than the norm, but fits well with the overall design of the watch. I like the 'applied mido' that sits on top!

IMG_0165-010.jpg

IMG_0221-008.jpg

IMG_0223-007.jpg

IMG_0215-008.jpg

Onto the case back.

IMG_0151-014.jpg

The engraving around the display window isn't always clear to see, depending on the angle viewed.

IMG_0139-014.jpg

IMG_0199-010.jpg

IMG_0240-006.jpg

The strap and buckle.

IMG_0169-010.jpg

IMG_0124-017.jpg

IMG_0123-018.jpg

IMG_0104-025.jpg

IMG_0100-026.jpg

IMG_0206-010.jpg

I'm between hole 3 & 4 now. 3 is silly loose, 4 is slightly tight, but the strap is so soft, it's okay. A little more wear, and it will be a perfect fit.

IMG_0251-006.jpg

And the domed sapphire crystal.

IMG_0259-005.jpg

Thinking about it, I think a better description for the case would be 'industrial', it has that rawness, as if stripped to the bone.

As stated, I'm very happy with this new piece. Nowt fancy, just a nice interpretation on a theme, with quality materials. It's also my 4th watch with a green dia. I like green!

IMG_0212-007.jpg

However, I keep thinking that this would make a great watch in bronze. So played around with the colour a bit.

IMG_0212-007.jpg

That's it's!

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great pics and review, thanks. These are the kinds of threads I like to see! For me, a green strap would be overdoing it, calling attention to the dial. An earth tone like they've provided, or maybe a grey or other neutral color that complements the case would be better, and let the green dial do its magic without anything calling attention to it. Just my taste, not critiquing yours.

So all the Multiforts have this patterned dial? Hard to tell on Amazon from their pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.