UK Watch Forum banner

Spending Choices

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Karrusel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm a hoarder so my views on this mattere bear little importance :)

When it comes to watches are items of peripheral spending like winders, literature, DVD, smart storage solutions, tools ,just as important to you as the watches?

I'm afraid anything peripheral like that has been given to me as my spend will always be a watch, even cheapies. Bit unbalanced I know :whistle: but thats me.

Do you view the peripherals as fun or just costly essentials?

Cheers :thumbsup:

PS.......what's your WIS must have other than watches :whistle:

#2 ·
I have a few storage boxes, two of which were gifts. My only winder was a freebie with the Speedmaster (hand-wound, go figure!). I have a few books, bought a couple and won some in draws and comps...and a nice Cartier book that was an AD freebie.

So, generally, no.

What was the question again?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Think I have mentioned this before, have spent an considerable amount over the years on books, video's/DVD's, travel & accommodation pursuing my interests in horology, history, travel, music & theatre.

Don't regret spending one penny of it...wish I'd had spare time in the past to have done more!

C'est La Vie

:biggrin:

#4 ·
DVDs, CDs and I collect TV/Film/Music memorabilia, mainly golden oldie stuff as I am not into that much modern stuff. I have quite a lot of Only Fools and Horses/David Jason stuff (no-one would have guessed that) :thumbsup: and Sir Elton, best musician ever IMO. :notworthy: I enjoy buying those items as much as watches. :king:

Reactions: RWP
#7 ·
Its all dead money but nice to have such things.

Reactions: RSR934 and RWP
#9 ·
I searched long for my watch display case, wall mounting just 12 watches , I went through 3 cases, two winders before I ended up with winder for one watch and a case I am happy with, I think I have one more peripheral to buy/ exchange ,like Davey said it will be dead money but will be nice to be owned. tools I have a few tools now watch related which has more than paid for itself in removing links and replacing batteries :thumbsup: .,

deano

#10 ·
This is it . . .

HXGB2rX.jpg

Quite cheap by comparison with watches.

However, I think I am going to be treated to a winder by the Mem'sahib for an upcoming birthday - does that count?

No books :( Google :whistle:

#11 ·
The watches come first for me, but I've always liked tinkering with things, so I have built up a small collection of tools, and when I get a spare hour I'll attempt to fix one of the (too) many broken watches I've picked up on the way... I've also picked up a couple of books as well.

#12 ·
Once I move out from my current abode and find a new place (my lease here is up this year) I plan to invest in a wardrobe with a watch drawer compartment and a safe to keep my higher value pieces safe for whenever I go away.

Also I buy many other interesting things. But I try to re-sell rather than hoard (although my family always claims otherwise and say I always amass "junk"). The one thing I do have quite a lot of is books, I have always had a strong interest in philosophy and psychology but also history so I have many books on those subjects (and a few on watches and clocks as well). Otherwise my biggest interests are anime and vintage gaming.

But I don't think of any of those other things as actual wealth whereas I do look on my watch collection as an asset.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
watch box only, no other peripheral spending.

fund raising cull started with the sale of the rangeman … and then the plans all had to be re thunk :wacko:

lets just say - new job - no company car so upgrade chuggaboom just happened &

710 has informed me so work / spending required (overdue) in the kitchen and garden &

big holiday just been paid for (booked about a year and a half ago) but at least we shouldn't need too much spending money

so aspirations of horological grandeur right up the swanny :mad0218:

don't bother watching this space for a few months :tumbleweed:

#18 ·
:laugh: :laugh:

Your comment re my attire is more than a bit rich from a bloke that wears Sketchers and thinks that's a good look.

:biggrin:

Reactions: AVO and Teg62x
#27 ·
I have a couple of wooden watch boxes, one branded Glycine and the other is a generic box but reasonable quality (I was told it was the same box Panerai use). Other peripherals include a box full of straps and bracelets with associated links, clasps and buckles, a small collection of tools for very minor work (I do not consider myself competent for anything technical), a cheap case press for the one watch which needs it when I change the battery every three years, a radio controlled clock for setting my mechanicals and checking their gain / loss. Rolex GMT-Master II and Rolex - Submariner books. A Breitling book and the Omega "bible". Also have a couple of books on watch repairing not that I would attempt it.

#29 ·
Various watch display boxes, 20, 12, 10's, original display cases, vintage display cases, travel pouch, various tools, ultrasonic bath, display stands, plaques, books, dvds, various advertising literature, advertising memorabilia, spare parts,old straps, bracelets, clasps, buckles, spare crystals, spare watches. Anything and everything I can get my hands on. But I take my time, as with my watch purchases. :yes:

#30 ·
Toolz. I tried buying cheapies, and found that you get what you pay for. So I buy better tools (I only wish I could afford Bergeon all the time) from Ofrei, use them once in a while.

#32 ·
Would love to spend some money on a date pusher for my speedy .... but they seem hard to track down on Tut-web...
Good grief man, what is it with members today!

We've already had one member :whistle: admitting to doing his own topiary :nono:

I will arrange for my man, Mortimer...

Image result for images of butler winding clocks

to instruct you on the expected & correct procedures.

Standards dear boys...standards!

:tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.