• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

Spending Choices

I'm a hoarder so my views on this mattere bear little importance :)

When it comes to watches are items of peripheral spending like winders, literature, DVD,  smart storage solutions, tools ,just as important to you as the watches?

I'm afraid anything peripheral like that has been given to me as my spend will always be a watch, even cheapies.   Bit unbalanced I know :whistle:but thats me.

Do you view the peripherals as fun or just costly essentials?

Cheers :thumbsup:

PS.......what’s your WIS must have other than watches :whistle:

Edited by RWP

I have a few storage boxes, two of which were gifts. My only winder was a freebie with the Speedmaster (hand-wound, go figure!).   I have a few books, bought a couple and won some in draws and comps...and a nice Cartier book that was an AD freebie.

So, generally, no.

What was the question again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think I have mentioned this before, have spent an considerable amount over the years on books, video's/DVD's, travel & accommodation pursuing my interests in horology, history, travel, music & theatre.

Don't regret spending one penny of it...wish I'd had spare time in the past to have done more!

C'est La Vie

:biggrin:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DVDs, CDs and I collect TV/Film/Music memorabilia, mainly golden oldie stuff as I am not into that much modern stuff.  I have quite a lot of Only Fools and Horses/David Jason stuff (no-one would have guessed that) :thumbsup: and Sir Elton, best musician ever IMO.  :notworthy:  I enjoy buying those items as much as watches.  :king:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themysterybidder said:

DVDs, CDs and I collect TV/Film/Music memorabilia, mainly golden oldie stuff as I am not into that much modern stuff.  I have quite a lot of Only Fools and Horses/David Jason stuff (no-one would have guessed that) :thumbsup: and Sir Elton, best musician ever IMO.  :notworthy:  I enjoy buying those items as much as watches.  :king:

You sure your only 29!! :whistle::whistle:

aren’t David Jason and Elton John both about 100 yrs old!! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Teg62x said:

You sure your only 29!! :whistle::whistle:

aren’t David Jason and Elton John both about 100 yrs old!! :laugh:

Oi, I'm still 28 for a few days yet!  :thumbsup:  I can't help it I have a weakness for handsome chaps.  It's a little bit funny (see what I did there):yes: but I don't like younger people, but the older people I like, I like them when they were younger!  I don't know why anyone didn't want to date Granville I would jump at the chance!  :naughty:_ Finally, Sir David Jason and Sir Elton are not 100 years old, they are 100 years young!  :laugh::king:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I searched long for my watch display case, wall mounting just 12 watches , I went through 3 cases, two winders before I ended up with winder for one watch and a case I am happy with, I think I have one more peripheral to buy/ exchange ,like Davey said it will be dead money but will be nice to be owned. tools I have a few tools now watch related which has more than paid for itself in removing links and replacing batteries :thumbsup:.,

deano

• Like 1

This is it . . .

HXGB2rX.jpg

Quite cheap by comparison with watches.

However, I think I am going to be treated to a winder by the Mem’sahib for an upcoming birthday  —  does that count?

No books :( Google :whistle:

• Like 1

The watches come first for me, but I've always liked tinkering with things, so I have built up a small collection of tools, and when I get a spare hour I'll attempt to fix one of the (too) many broken watches I've picked up on the way... I've also picked up a couple of books as well.

• Like 1

Once I move out from my current abode and find a new place (my lease here is up this year) I plan to invest in a wardrobe with a watch drawer compartment and a safe to keep my higher value pieces safe for whenever I go away. 

Also I buy many other interesting things. But I try to re-sell rather than hoard (although my family always claims otherwise and say I always amass "junk"). The one thing I do have quite a lot of is books, I have always had a strong interest in philosophy and psychology but also history so I have many books on those subjects (and a few on watches and clocks as well). Otherwise my biggest interests are anime and vintage gaming. 

But I don't think of any of those other things as actual wealth whereas I do look on my watch collection as an asset. 

• Like 1

watch box only, no other peripheral spending.

fund raising cull started with the sale of the rangeman … and then the plans all had to be re thunk :wacko:

lets just say - new job - no company car so upgrade chuggaboom just happened       &

710 has informed me so work / spending required (overdue) in the kitchen and garden       &

big holiday just been paid for (booked about a year and a half ago) but at least we shouldn't need too much spending money 

so aspirations of horological grandeur right up the swanny :mad0218:

don't bother watching this space for a few months :tumbleweed:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, RWP said:

PS.......what’s your WIS must have other than watches :whistle:

In9DeO.jpg

You need a nice shirt and some proper booze to go with the watch

:laugh: :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

You need a nice shirt and some proper booze to go with the watch

Yes. I think you do. I’ll send you the addresses of my tailor and vintner.

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, AVO said:

Yes. I think you do. I’ll send you the addresses of my tailor and vintner.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Armani and a bottle of Stoli

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVO said:

@BondandBigM  Nah, just getting my revenge for the Genesis comments. I have a long memory.:biggrin:

Your comment re my attire is more than a bit rich from a bloke that wears Sketchers and thinks that's a good look. 

• Haha 2

I apologise unreservedly for my appalling lack of taste.

I shall try to do better in future.

11 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Your comment re my attire is more than a bit rich from a bloke that wears Sketchers and thinks that's a good look. 

What are sketchers :huh:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RWP said:

What are sketchers :huh:

Comfortable casual shoes, Rog. Very popular. I like them because they are very light and comfortable. Others clearly don’t like them. I’m sure if you ask Bond he will explain, since I obviously don’t get it. 

Actually they are Skechers if you want to google them.

Edited by AVO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AVO said:

Comfortable casual shoes, Rog. Very popular. I like them because they are very light and comfortable. Others clearly don’t like them. I’m sure if you ask Bond he will explain, since I obviously don’t get it. 

I’ll take your word for it AVO :thumbsup:     I’m either wearing boots or just socks, mainly the latter. :)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RWP said:

I’ll take your word for it AVO :thumbsup:     I’m either wearing boots or just socks, mainly the latter. :)

Now I definitely do NOT wear socks with them. Between April and October socks are for work only!:biggrin:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AVO said:

Now I definitely do NOT wear socks with them. Between April and October socks are for work only!:biggrin:

Sartorially my tastes run to boots and socks, or just socks.  The idea of anything remotely resembling sandles and socks, or even no socks, or even sandles brings to mind beards and unsuitable shorts :yes:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RWP said:

...beards and unsuitable shorts :yes:

We have both, sir. But hey, on a Greek island in July, who cares?

• Haha 1