• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AVO

CW Trident C600 GMT - Member review

jrF6gJh.jpg

Drawing a couple of threads together here, so apologies for any repetition. As you will know by now, this is the watch I acquired last week. It is also, as many of you are only too well aware, a watch I said I would never wear. So, what has happened? Well, two things basically.

Firstly, if we go back a few years, I developed an obsession with small, simple vintage watches. I still love them and I have several. I used to wear them all the time but nowadays they mainly do light duty - relaxing at home, the odd evening out &c. At the same time I began to create taboos for myself, and went as far as to eradicate or exclude certain things from my collection: watches over 40mm; dark dials; bracelets; dive watches; certain types of hand (Trident, Mercedes). It dawned on me quite early in the process that what I was doing was a little illogical and impractical and the last couple of years in particular have seen an erosion of those taboos which, let’s face it, should never have been there in the first place. This watch represents a significant step in that journey. It may be an ending or just a crossroads...who knows?

Secondly, I love my holidays and I love travelling. Holidays are much more important than watches (mostly...:laughing2dw:) - I found myself thinking “holiday or watch?” on one occasion. I thought about it for at least 10 seconds before I booked the holiday. We occasionally see threads that start “Which holiday watches?” And they are not all started by me, though am certainly guilty. I think I took 5 watches on holiday once, and two of them were never worn. I thought I needed one for the journey, at least two for beach, pool and daytime wear, plus something more suave for evenings...

What a load of cobblers! Expensive watches sitting in hotel bedroom safes, going through airport security in trays...what was I thinking!? Fortunately I have never had a problem, but you do hear stories.

The other side to this is that I am looking to retire in a couple of years. As a single bloke tied to school holidays I pay through the nose to go away and I want to travel at more sensible times, more cheaply and further afield than the Eastern Mediterranean/Canaries that is my norm. So, looking ahead, the quest has been on for some time to find that do-it-all travel watch that liberates me from the “Which watch?” dilemma.

The criteria? 
Firstly, I have to be comfortable wearing it 24/7. Looking at the Trident specifically, that’s not the problem I have always made it out to be. Yes, it’s big and tall, probably on my realistic limit, but it’s fine. 

Secondly, functionality: legible, durable, good WR. I think we can safely say that the Trident ticks those boxes. 

Thirdly, looks. This is where my own understanding of my tastes comes into play. The hands were the last factor holding me back, so I just took a deep breath...BINGO! Five years of taboo, gone! It all fits together, and this will work just as easily on a beach as in a stylish restaurant.

Fourthly, GMT or not? I have always said no, because I can do +1 or 2 in my head. But if I later find myself in California or New Zealand it might be useful to know when NOT to phone Doris in Dibley! And...that orange hand is über-cool!:thumbs_up:

Finally if, God forbid, it should get lost, stolen or damaged, is it an acceptable loss as against a Rolex GMT or similar? Yes, but less likely to get lost or stolen as it will be on my wrist all the time.

So there (apologies for the long-winded explanation) is the thinking behind it. Now let’s look at the watch.

DIMENSIONS 

As I said, it’s a chunky piece, pretty much on the limit for me. I don’t see it getting huge wrist time under a shirt cuff, but that’s not why I bought it. With summer gear, no worries. 

Diameter 43mm. Height 13.7mm. L2L 51.5mm. Weight 105g. I’m not sure if the weight quoted there is head only or includes the bracelet...I suspect the former. It is certainly heavy by my standards. The Speedmaster is quoted as 0.3mm thicker, though that is accounted for by the domed hésalite crystal. 

bL5Eldj.jpg

p4i5Qi3.jpg

FUNCTIONALITY 

The screw-down crown is very positive to operate. I am VERY careful with these after hearing so many tales of users cross-threading them. The crown positions are easy to find and the date change is rapid. There’s a little play or drag in moving the GMT hand, but it does click over smartly. Whilst I might prefer an independent hour hand I believe these come at a price, and the resetting on this is still relatively quick and easy. I have also worked out how to use the bezel for a 3rd time zone...discalculia kicked in at one point but I cracked it!

It’s all very legible. The date window is a reasonable size and at 3.00 - good call! All the hands are very distinctive except the silver seconds, but a small lumed dot that lines up with the bottom of the indices helps to make it visible. The ceramic bezel has a very sharp 120-click action. My non-mathematical brain would have preferred 2, 4 and 6 indices instead of the minute marks, but we need to remember that this is also a dive watch. CW lume is not always the longest lasting, and I must see what it’s like after several hours in the dark. It is certainly very bright initially.

TNWif7g.jpg

The ratchet clasp on the bracelet is a brilliant idea as the wrist expands and contacts in warm weather. I had a link inserted and mine now goes from snug to jangly-bangly, so plenty of adjustment available.

rRmjOci.jpg

Timekeeping looks to be about +6 or 7 s/d. Absolutely fine, but I shall experiment with resting positions as this is not really a watch for sleeping in. I haven’t done a run down to test the PR yet, but it hasn’t stopped either! So we can assume the auto function is reasonably efficient. I never found ETAs as easy to power up as the Makos. We shall see.

LOOKS, FIT & FINISH

Whenever I pick up or unbox a CW, I am always struck by the same thought...this looks and feels like a much more expensive watch. This one especially so; not just the size and weight, it has presence.

Sparkly bits: this just doesn’t come over in PR photos. The edges of the hands, date and applied indices are all polished and reflect the light beautifully, as does the Trident counter-balance on the seconds hand, the polished surfaces of the case and the PCLs in the bracelet. The wave pattern on the dial gives you vertical stripes in the sun...very AT! Little green lume dots every 5 minutes. Just stunning.

qo6j6F5.jpg

The bracelet is a quality item and the ratchet clasp leaves the basic clasp on the £3.5k Speedmaster for dead. Size and height notwithstanding, the whole watch feels very secure and balanced.

nERBwYC.jpg

8gEOpz5.jpg

And...it’s a CHR (the best IMHO) logo with bâton indices instead of blobs. Win-win!

Happy? I think so. Bring on Summer! Thanks for reading. 

Wg5UpNr.jpg

Edited by AVO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice review and explanation of choice :)   I do like the watch and the GMT although I do think it has limited functionality but it looks great and is a boon when resetting. 

I wish you long hot relaxing days far far away looking at your CW :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Thanks 1

Good sound choice by someone not afraid to try something different. :thumbsup:

Looking at the wrist shots I would think you could carry off something even larger if you so desired!

Is this new to you or 2nd hand as there appears to be a lot of gunk, and maybe a little corrosion, within the clasp mechanism?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MyrridinEmrys said:

Is this new to you or 2nd hand as there appears to be a lot of gunk, and maybe a little corrosion, within the clasp mechanism?

Nothing much, gave it a go over with a cotton bud, and it’s fine. 2nd hand but lightly worn, I think.

• Like 1

Said it before and I will say it again CW punch well above their weight, currently I have 7 in the collection three of which are Tridents and they compare favourably with my Omega's.

That GMT looks very tasty by the way.:thumbsup:

Oh and I have a CW Pulsometer coming in the next few weeks from a friend of mine:yes: so the collection is still growing.

• Thanks 1

Proper, well thought out review. You've inspired me to dig out a few of my CW's and give them a spin this week.

• Thanks 1

Very comprehensive, Steve :thumbsup:.....but do you like it ?

:tongue:

1 hour ago, PC-Magician said:

Oh and I have a CW Pulsometer coming in the next few weeks from a friend of mine:yes: so the collection is still growing.

Hmm, do we now!

:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

:tongue:

Hmm, do we now!

:yes:

Ah yes you have one I think.

5 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Ah yes you have one I think.

I don't actually, Jon :(

Thankfully I still have a pulse (I think).

:biggrin:

1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

I don't actually, Jon :(

Thankfully I still have a pulse (I think).

I thought you did :swoon:

1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

Yes. Didn’t I say that, Alan?:yes:

4 hours ago, AVO said:

As I said, it’s a chunky piece, pretty much on the limit for me. I don’t see it getting huge wrist time under a shirt cuff, 

Well that's another taboo to break! Buy a short sleeved shirt or just roll your sleeves up! :yes:

Great watch, which I would have happily bought if they had just ditched those wavy lines, hence my Vintage Trident, but that's all about personal preferences. The Trident is very popular for a reason. As for the dual time facility, on my one GMT, it's always set to one time zone or another for various reasons. 

It's a purchase that makes perfect sense for your needs. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Well that's another taboo to break! Buy a short sleeved shirt or just roll your sleeves up:yes:

It will cease to be a problem the day I remove my cardboard box and ditch the symbols of institutional servitude.:beach:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AVO said:

It will cease to be a problem the day I remove my cardboard box and ditch the symbols of institutional servitude.:beach:

Image result for images of goodbye mr chips

Steve, promise us that you will keep the Gown & Mortar...

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Not a criticism, but I think you'll find the little green markers on the chapter ring aren't lumed. In your lume shot, it's a reflection of the baton markers' lume that is caught in the bevel of the crystal. That's why there's two at 12 o'clock. :wink: 

It makes it a sort of neat touch, a touch of green on the chapter ring just to make those indexes stand out. I like it. :yes:

• Like 1