• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
johnbaz

Waltham from the bootsale today!

Hi all

I picked this nice old American watch Co full hunter today from the bootsale..

The balance was swinging strongly so I took a chance, I tried setting the hands after winding the watch and the minute hand started flopping about and then fell of it's shaft completely!! :laugh:

I removed the bezel, Refitted the hand and all's well apart from it losing time, The regulator was too far from centre causing a long strokle so less BPM, I centralised it more and it gained, Retarded it it again and it seems closer now but will have to make smaller adjuistments until the rate is acceptable :thumbsup:

The serial on the Illinois Watch case Co doesn't match the one of the movement but it's a good fit so is fine with me..

LSHkjlU.jpg 

WW17Usi.jpg

hu41gev.jpg

udA8Sap.jpg

The crystal will need a polish as it's scratched, I cleaned the dial and inside of the acrylic crystal too as they were loppy!!

I also bought several watches too, Not the cheapest i've had from the bootsales but very nice pieces anyhow!!

Sorry about the scruffy hands, I bought a swivel bench vise that needs wire brushing to remove surface rust, My hands removed most of it!! :tongue:

John :)

• Like 8

Show off :) wish i could get out to a bootsale. Just have tout up with cheap ones on E-bay which nearly always need apart, which i can not locate lol

• Sad 1

On 27/05/2018 at 21:47, stdape said:

Show off :) wish i could get out to a bootsale. Just have tout up with cheap ones on E-bay which nearly always need apart, which i can not locate lol

Drives me up the wall. Why they can't tell you which part is damaged - Sparse and Repair doesn't tell me anything. I have spent so much on so little.

Lucky B.. so and so. Very nice. Wish i could get to Boot Sales, but being housebound at present, not an option. Only E-Bay where bargains getting a rarity. 

That's a very nice find.  The serial number dates the movement to 1914.  It's a 14 size Model 1897, Grade No 418 with 15 jewels.  Quite a popular movement in it's day with 56,350 produced.

Waltham at that time only made movements which they sold on to the various retail outlets.  The retailer would offer the customer a selection of cases by various watch case makers.  All the case making companies had their own system of numbering their cases.  So the case serial number never matches the movement number.  Looking at your case and movement, they appear to be original to each other.  Notice there are no extra case screw marks around the edge of the case.  A good indication that this movement has spent it's entire life in that case.

Well spotted!

• Like 4

On 06/02/2019 at 16:58, Melville said:

That's a very nice find.  The serial number dates the movement to 1914.  It's a 14 size Model 1897, Grade No 418 with 15 jewels.  Quite a popular movement in it's day with 56,350 produced.

Waltham at that time only made movements which they sold on to the various retail outlets.  The retailer would offer the customer a selection of cases by various watch case makers.  All the case making companies had their own system of numbering their cases.  So the case serial number never matches the movement number.  Looking at your case and movement, they appear to be original to each other.  Notice there are no extra case screw marks around the edge of the case.  A good indication that this movement has spent it's entire life in that case.

Well spotted!

WOWSER!!:jawdrop1:

Thanks for the amazing info! :thumbs_up:

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi all i don't want to hijack this thread but since you're discussing the waltham pocket watches i'd love some info on this family heirloom

pics speak louder than words:

3UGnWAc.jpg

635Pdi5.jpg

d7s6vN1.jpg

IdxyVGk.jpg

Q6CsQni.jpg

STOg2LH.jpg

6ZT1BsQ.jpg

mW7jcwi.jpg

The initials AWCC stand for American Watch Case Company, a Canadian company that was based in Toronto.  Three of their best known gold filled case grades were:- Cashier, Fortune and Empress.  The Cashier was the highest grade of these three with a 25 year  'wear through' guarantee.

• Like 1