• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

Ever Binned a Watch?

Like the thread says, have you ever binned a watch, through practicality, temper , or desperation.

I only ever lost it with one, a mechanical Timex I picked up, off Amazon new. I bought it because it had ( gasp) a power meter.  The first one they sent gained time as it was shaken to power up, a lot of time.  I returned it for another.  The replacement was even worse than the original, about as good as a candle clock :whistle:

In a fit of pique I punted it across the room and ummmmmm “ damaged” it.   Too badly for money back.....so the bin.

Never since, with anything :crazy5vh:

Binned anything?  Circumstances?

Cheers :)

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

Not gone that far but I did put a Zenith into a dish on a shelf in the kitchen and left it there for several months. Had a problem with the bezel insert keep falling out and a drop of superglue failed to resolve the problem and so it went into the dish and out of sight. Time passed and my youngest son found it and asked why it was there to which I replied "it is utter garbage as the bezel insert keeps falling out".

"But Dad, Zenith's are really good watches" he cried and so off it went for a service and is now one of his regular wearers. Since then I have bought two more Zeniths as I agree they are good.

Never really used the expression `utter garbage' :clap::thumbs_up::clap:

Edited by richy176
  • Like 1

My unenlightened self disposed of many a watch.

I was only thinking the other day of one I binned as I cracked the crystal (sapphire) while trying to get the snap back back on. If I knew then what I know now, a) it wouldn't have happened, and b) I'd have probably been able to replace the crystal.

I have none of old watches I owned, save for a non-running Kinetic and the dreaded Skagen. Not that they would have been worth anything, but it would have been nice to look back.

3 hours ago, RWP said:

In a fit of pique I punted it across the room and ummmmmm “ damaged” it.   Too badly for money back.....so the bin.

:hmmm9uh:

I thought no, but I’m wrong — I have. I had a Pulsar ana-digi that I picked up cheap in Alabama. Reeds Jewelers replaced the battery a couple fo times. Last time, it stopped working. I took it in for an evaluation. I was told the movement was old (the watch was only 10-15 yrs old), and they suggested just replacing the movement as a courtesy. I said okay. A couple of months later, it failed again. This time they said “it was old,” and the pushers were failing, offered to repair those but at a cost. I said to heck with it, and tossed it. (This was before I could’ve even thought of looking inside myself.) Didn’t even think to take it to another shop, it wasn’t worth anything to me. 

• Like 1

Binned three today while doing some clearning out at my parents. A gold lorus dress watch, a cartier style Boss, and something else. I've no time for cheap quartz rubbish, so figured the bin was the best place for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, hughlle said:

I've no time for cheap quartz rubbish, so figured the bin was the best place for them.

No, the best place for them would be in my collection, with all my other cheap quartz rubbish  :laughing2dw:

1 minute ago, Chromejob said:

I know someone would’ve given them a home.

Me :clap:

Getting back to the original question, the only ones I have binned are a few poor victims of my limited tinkering skills..... :whistling:  I've got a G-Shock Riseman that went belly-up and needed a new module, but I tried to fit the innards from another watch, and absolutely butchered the case to try and fit it (the Riseman module is surprisingly small, considering all the functions and sensors it has).  I'm still kicking myself, because I think it's probably the nicest looking digital G-Shock out there, and I should have tried harder to find an original replacement module :mad0218:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I know someone would’ve given them a home.

Somebody would have liked those. :sadwalk:

Edited by RWP

Over the years plenty  wish I hadn't now .this includes 2 early swatch watches the first one's released. I actually have no idea what happened to most of them ..

• Like 1

Only once. I bought one of the things we don’t talk about but rhymes with lake on a trip to a country where you can buy a lot of those things.

This was many years ago.

• Like 1

No, never ever.  Even if I have one that doesn't work, or I know I won't wear again.  It's something I just couldn't bring myself to do, even if it was a cheapie.  :king:

24 minutes ago, AVO said:

rhymes with lake

Of course, I know you bought some cake.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

Not personally, however, before I started college I did briefly work for a company that distributed Swatch watches and I distinctly remember seeing a load of those huge promotional Swatch watches that you used to see in Swatch retailers, thrown into one of the skips. I wish I'd rescued a few of them now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Only once. I bought one of the things we don’t talk about but rhymes with lake on a trip to a country where you can buy a lot of those things.

Cake?  You can't tell time with those, unless you're blowing out candles. :naughty: 

Oh, Stake. And you hit it with a mallet, I presume. Well done. :notworthy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I threw a Brand new Rolex in Bin! OK just kidding, cant afford one let alone throw it away. One advantage of cheap Quartz Watches, you get a strap for less than buying one for new.

• Like 2

I've binned a few after failed repair attempts , but it's getting less often now so hopefully i must be improving or maybe i'm not doing as many :laugh:

To be fair i generally even keep the ones i break incase any parts i managed not to break come in useful for a later repair attempt 

As they say you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs :whistle:

• Haha 1

Binned a few non working ones. I believe it's best to take cheap watches to a charity shop instead of just throwing them away.

• Like 1

In the days before I had any interest in watches, I was clearing out my Father's house following his death. There was an old biscuit tin in a sideboard drawer that was packed with wristwatches and a few pocket watches - mostly from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Guess what I did with them?  That's right: the tip! :ooops:

• Sad 2

It appears that we've "binned"  Rog to another imposed, short-duration vacation. :tumbleweed:

Edited by Chromejob
  • Sad 2

Binned a few, usually cheap things that were not worth repairing. There are two I regret binning.

A Roamer Super King, in a fit of rage,

c1b920fba49d9939e2e873c8fd5ac3be.jpg

And a Vostok 2209, like this one, because I couldn't be bothered spending any more money getting it serviced.

Vostok-Amphibian-Diver-2209-USSR-vintage

• Like 1

This is my old work watch. About 18 months ago the stem broke. I attempted to contact Steve Burrage but was contacted by the man he sold his business to who quoted me a price of about £90 or so. Since I only paid £40 for it in 2004 it has been sitting on my desk ever since. still works and keeps good time for never having been serviced. It has a 7s26 movement. I thought of passing it on to someone who could use the movement or would repair the watch themselves. I tried hunting for a stem but couldn't come up with anything.

DSCF5955.jpg

1 hour ago, Drum2000 said:

This is my old work watch. About 18 months ago the stem broke. I attempted to contact Steve Burrage but was contacted by the man he sold his business to who quoted me a price of about £90 or so. Since I only paid £40 for it in 2004 it has been sitting on my desk ever since. still works and keeps good time for never having been serviced. It has a 7s26 movement. I thought of passing it on to someone who could use the movement or would repair the watch themselves. I tried hunting for a stem but couldn't come up with anything.

I wonder if Simon could do it more affordably. Quite a nice watch and worth rehabilitating. 

2 hours ago, Chromejob said:

I wonder if Simon could do it more affordably. Quite a nice watch and worth rehabilitating. 

What's a Simon?

9 minutes ago, Drum2000 said:

What's a Simon?

Simon2...highly respected watch repairer, and recommended by lots of members here that have had work done by him. Details in the Watchmaking and repairs section. Joined, I think, while you were away.

• Thanks 1