Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Flowers/Plants


Cassie-O
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Biker....

Just at a quick glance...the top bright green plant is a spurge aka milkweed (Euphorbia sp). Called milkweed as it produces copious quantities of white sap which can be irritating on the skin. Usually grown for their brightly coloured foliage, the flowers are usually insignificant., The smaller plants surrounding it look like various 'chickweeds' and should be pulled or hoed up, or they'll seed everywhere and you'll have even more next year.

No. 2 The blue flowers are cranesbill geraniums...the red ones might be as well, but I can't see the leaves properly. If not cranesbill, they may be Potentilla.

No. 3 is Zantedeschia aka Calla Lily.

No.4 Is a Potentilla (I think) aka Cinquefoil.

No. 5 The red flowers on the dark foliage are Dahlias and the fluffy pink spikes are Astilbe aka False Goat's beard.

No. 6 Is also a Dahlia.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@Biker....

Just at a quick glance...the top bright green plant is a spurge aka milkweed (Euphorbia sp). Called milkweed as it produces copious quantities of white sap which can be irritating on the skin. Usually grown for their brightly coloured foliage, the flowers are usually insignificant., The smaller plants surrounding it look like various 'chickweeds' and should be pulled or hoed up, or they'll seed everywhere and you'll have even more next year.

No. 2 The blue flowers are cranesbill geraniums...the red ones might be as well, but I can't see the leaves properly. If not cranesbill, they may be Potentilla.

No. 3 is Zantedeschia aka Calla Lily.

No.4 Is a Potentilla (I think) aka Cinquefoil.

No. 5 The red flowers on the dark foliage are Dahlias and the fluffy pink spikes are Astilbe aka False Goat's beard.

No. 6 Is also a Dahlia.

 

Brilliant stuff, all of those were in Levengrove park, those were the ones we liked.  I think we'll try and source some, we need to get something other than grass in our garden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an app on my phone called plantnet. You take a photo of the flower or leaf and it gives you suggestions what it might be. Not infallible, but pretty good when out and about and you don't have Roger with you.

There's other similar apps, but plantnet is the easiest, free and pretty reliable in my experience.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spinynorman said:

I have an app on my phone called plantnet. You take a photo of the flower or leaf and it gives you suggestions what it might be. Not infallible, but pretty good when out and about and you don't have Roger with you.

There's other similar apps, but plantnet is the easiest, free and pretty reliable in my experience.

Excellent cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just been out in the garden again as the rain has stopped, and seen even more plants in flower that think it's spring. The temp. here today is 14oC...!!!

Antirrhinum. (Snap Dragon).
Winter flowers.

Tanacetum sp. (Feverfew.)
Winter flowers.

Meconopsis cambrica. (Yellow Welsh Poppy)
Winter flowers.

Campanula poscharskyana. (Creeping Bellflower)
Roger's Flora and Fauna album

and the Primula (Primrose) that I posted last week looking even bigger and stronger!
Winter flowers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

0?ui=2&ik=7c768d1589&attid=0.1&permmsgid

 

Is anyone able to name this plant/shrub which my son has in his garden.  It first produced black berries and now is flowering, he seems to think that the flowers come out at night!!!  Perhaps roger may know it, thanks Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fernface said:

0?ui=2&ik=7c768d1589&attid=0.1&permmsgid

 

Is anyone able to name this plant/shrub which my son has in his garden.  It first produced black berries and now is flowering, he seems to think that the flowers come out at night!!!  Perhaps roger may know it, thanks Brian

Can't see a picture unfortunately....so unable to help at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

@champ is absolutely spot on. :thumbsup: It's common names, depending on variety, are 'Christmas Box' (due to its flowering time) or 'Sweet Box' (due to the fragrant flowers). More details here.


https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/93624/i-Sarcococca-hookeriana-i-var-i-hookeriana-i/Details

Nothing nicer than a sweet smelling box...  :thumbsup:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

After seeing my display of Common Spotted orchids last year, a friend asked if she could have a few bulbs and in return, gave me a few of the Heath Spotted orchid bulbs she has in her garden. I was very pleased, therefore, to see one of them happily growing away with a good sturdy flower stem developing. There are several differences between the two, namely, the Heath Spotted orchid flowers slightly earlier than the Common Spotted, its flowers are a slightly deeper magenta colour, and its leaves are narrower and more finely peppered with spots than the Common. I will post more pics as the flowers open in a few days.

Heath Spotted orchid. (Dactylorhiza maculata).
Heath Orchid. D. maculata.

This is a Common Spotted orchid (D. fuchsii), and you can see the difference in the leaf spotting and shape.
Common Spotted Orchid. D.fuchsii.

Here's another patch with the two species together.
Common Spotted and Heath orchids.

Also flowering at the moment was the first of my Himalayan blue poppies, (Meconopsis 'Lingholm')
Meconopsis 'Lingholm'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a great thread! Thanks everyone for all those wonderful flower pictures. I felt particularly emotional over those lovely Hibiscus shots, @Roger the Dodger, because I will always associate Kristina with growing plate-sized hibiscus blooms and her amazing indoor bonsai hibiscus plants which were brought back from Tenerife by her mother many years ago and which have become like ancient yet still blossoming miniature trees.:thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Biker said:

@Roger the DodgerLast year I made a bucket full of plant food from chopped up nettles and water, I still have a oad left, is it still safe to use or will it have gone toxic by now?

I wouldn't know, Buster. If it smells rank, I wouldn't risk it. Just make up a fresh batch. I like using diluted seaweed extract...cheap as chips.

81K9XiTn8zL._AC_SY741_.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...