• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

46 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I’ll be very surprised if the scooter has one of these tucked anywhere inside that bodywork 

50590156356_af322ed4f5_z.jpg

A Lotus Sunbeam motor is a big lump.

The "bike" is big and broad, that red scooter behind it is full size and it is dwarfed. There has been a few similar over the years using 4 cylinder car engines.

WDPhotos_1521736971639.jpg

1c655f18173a265f3ad71a32c344b68e.jpg

The engines are usually jammed into these things without any thought about ease of maintenance, and close coupled to a motorcycle gearbox.

large.bareqsr3.jpg.edde7f87fc82ec3f2ebeaeed4ab172fc.jpg

I think you're correct, and the motor is probably the SOHC Coventry Climax derived unit. I'll probably never see the thing again, and I'm not "train spotter" enough to hang around and stalk the owner. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My local carpark alway has some interesting stuff  3.8 MK2 Jag tonight I'm almost tempted to use the much misused phrase "mint"   What have you seen in your local carpark

Pal was round today, Surprisingly reliable, and super clean, considering its used regularly.

Aluminium gear box ? The paint peel reminds me of a Celtic fan's back I saw once in Corfu after he fell off a scooter.  

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

The "bike" is big and broad, that red scooter behind it is full size and it is dwarfed. There has been a few similar over the years using 4 cylinder car engines.

WDPhotos_1521736971639.jpg

1c655f18173a265f3ad71a32c344b68e.jpg

The engines are usually jammed into these things without any thought about ease of maintenance, and close coupled to a motorcycle gearbox.

large.bareqsr3.jpg.edde7f87fc82ec3f2ebeaeed4ab172fc.jpg

I think you're correct, and the motor is probably the SOHC Coventry Climax derived unit. I'll probably never see the thing again, and I'm not "train spotter" enough to hang around and stalk the owner. :laughing2dw:

Yep most likely a small upright 4 cylinder, the Lotus engine is canted over and with the carbs they are wide,  a close up look at the tiny exhaust pipe that would just strangle it.

850 Robin Reliant or a Mini engine maybes ??

23 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

850 Robin Reliant or a Mini engine maybes ??

It has Sunbeam 928 on the side of it ? and the sump shape doesn't look like Reliant, so maybe the Imp derived 928cc Crysler alloy motor ? I've seen the odd Imp special.

vpu4s04.jpg

and when you could get them for less than £100, Coventry Climax fire pump engines, with the magneto alternator.

800px-Land_Rover_Fire_engine_(2).jpg

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It has Sunbeam 928 on the side of it ? and the sump shape doesn't look like Reliant, so maybe the Imp derived 928cc Crysler alloy motor ? I've seen the odd Imp special.

vpu4s04.jpg

Yep I had a quick google and an imp engine was 928 cc which was also used in the first Talbot Sunbeams.

https://www.imps4ever.info/chrysler/928.html

I should know that it was one of my first cars !!!

50282345967_b2f31f2e5f_b.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Sunbeam Stiletto Advert 1967