• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JIMMYNo1

Rolex Buddy

Hi All,

Been away for a bit but really needed to get views on my friends situation after asking my advice.

So a mate of mine, not a close mate but a mate non the less has been seeking advice of late on a potential purchase. He's 30, decent job and seems to be doing well and obviously wants to treat himself. Originally he asked me my thoughts on a Tag Heuer Monaco.

Now I like the Monaco and told him as much, iconic watch and gave him some pointers where to buy and discounts to expect. Some weeks later he's decided he wants a Submariner instead. Now this is where I'm quoting purely on figures he's given me.

So he's been told that the current waiting list at gold smiths is two years :swoon: He says he can pick up a 2018 model on the used market but in unworn condition for £8500. Seems excessive considering a retail of circa £6k but maybe that's the price of a que jump. He asked my thoughts. My advice was if he really wanted a sub then look for a pre ceramic model dating to the mid 2000 and maybe pick one up for under £5k? Alternatively go for a Tudor and something like a speed master pre owned for the same price which would be my choice.

Whats people's thoughts. I'm gob smacked at the two year waiting time tbh

It'd pay you to go on holiday in Grand Cayman and just buy the watch at Kirk Freeport. Much lower price than the UK. Send the boxes and papers by post to a buddy.

Or even just pay the tax.  No waiting there.

I'd pick up a pre-ceramic for under £5k.  In fact that's what I did, getting an absolutely mint 1990 safe queen (16610 saphire glass) for £4200 about a year back. 

• Like 1

From what I hear the Rolex wait is artificial ... one dealer is waiting for one, hence their customers are, but other dealers can set you up quickly. 

Personally I think the prices are overboard ... oh sure he'll keep his money if he keeps it in good nick and decides to sell it (but not before the dealer releases the warranty card kept in escrow :sign_wtf: is up with that :mad0218: ). Show him a Tudor Black Bay 58 or their new Tudor BB GMT (a throwback to the old Rolex 6542 or 1675 iirc), beautiful watches, high quality, affordable. If he must have a Rolex, have a look at the Air King or Explorer. ;) I agree with others that a pre-owned Rolex can be a bargain and a great way to start. (Was it here that someone posted about his strategy of starting with a pre-owned to test the waters? Search back about a month or two, I think it was. 

Welcome back, chum, we've missed you. :drinks: 

When I brought my Speedie from Goldsmiths in Canary Wharf, London I was told 6 months, maybe less.  This was a couple of months ago

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

From what I hear the Rolex wait is artificial ... one dealer is waiting for one, hence their customers are, but other dealers can set you up quickly. 

Yes this seems to add up with what he says, some dealers telling him their waiting list was closed completely. You'd have to think that surely should they want to, Rolex could up production.

7 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Tudor or Omega 

I'd buy both myself, bit of rotation.

Edited by JIMMYNo1
Spelling
  • Like 1

Each to their own... I would go Monaco/Speedy

Rolex for when I’m 40...

Edited by jizzle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JIMMYNo1 said:

He says he can pick up a 2018 model on the used market but in unworn condition for £8500. Seems excessive considering a retail of circa £6k but maybe that's the price of a que jump.

If he really wants the Sub then have a look on chrono24 - set filters to `unworn' and select UK and some EU countries and you will fine several well below £8500 - there is one from Monaco at £6820 + £146 postage to UK. Also a non-date 2018 one from Germany at £6296 + £52 shipping or just get a cheap flight to Berlin and collect it.

Don't buy from a company that creates its own waiting list, would be my advice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JIMMYNo1 said:

You'd have to think that surely should they want to, Rolex could up production.

That's not as simple as it sounds. To put another shift on just one or two models is a big undertaking, you have to hire staff, train them, source materials, more machinery & equipment and so on. And if they are already at full production capacity it would be even more difficult. They might have different production lines for the various materials they are made in as in I doubt that they machine their gold parts in the same machines as their stainless stuff. A whole lot more to it than meets the eye. 

It's said they make a million watches a year but in truth nobody really knows exactly how many the produce, then factor in that that is spread that over dozens of different models and world wide sales with certain dealers getting preference as which models they get in which quantities. 

why bother upping production - if they are easy to get you cant charge a 'premium' premium. 

very few want to own a rolex for any horological reason; the brand is just a look at me bling 'ting, so keeping them exclusive and expensive is the way to go. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rotundus said:

why bother upping production - if they are easy to get you cant charge a 'premium' premium. 

very few want to own a rolex for any horological reason; the brand is just a look at me bling 'ting, so keeping them exclusive and expensive is the way to go. 

Unfortunately,in most cases, this is true.

How's the new company "car" by the way ?

5 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

so the Oyster and Datejust are still probably the best "Value" Rolex watches available....

agree 100% with this :thumbsup:

deano

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

How's the new company "car" by the way ?

going ok, mpg surprising good.

have discovered a 0 calorie pint too. it turns out I burn more calories cycling to one of my favourite locals than I consume in a pint of cider when I get there :thumbs_up:

re wiring the lighting at the moment - BIG JOB - reaching the final stages after getting this from halfords 

42231967144_3b5fa74d6a_c.jpg

I think they will go very well with the Hi-Viz don't you ? :yes:

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

so the Oyster and Datejust are still probably the best "Value" Rolex watches available....

Yes, and Explorer's, which aren't really appreciating, financially.

1 minute ago, Rotundus said:

going ok, mpg surprising good.

Excellent. No chafe issues then ? :doctor:

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Excellent. No chafe issues then ?

still talking about cycling ?:whistle:  

no, the running , rowing and now cycling mean that the flab is slowly being burned off and I don't even have to look like a MAMIL

:thumbsup:   

ok, I haven't been rowing in ages TBH, but the running is great and I even do a bit of weights sometimes...

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 1

To get back to the original question, one way is to ring all the Rolex ADs you can find within travelling distance. Explain you are a serious buyer and a Sub should appear in a few weeks if not sooner.  A lot of list entrants are dreamers who cancel when the watch becomes available.   

I got this information from a work colleague who dabbled in the trade and obtained several Rolexes this way

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ong said:

To get back to the original question, one way is to ring all the Rolex ADs you can find within travelling distance. Explain you are a serious buyer and a Sub should appear in a few weeks if not sooner.  A lot of list entrants are dreamers who cancel when the watch becomes available.   

I got this information from a work colleague who dabbled in the trade and obtained several Rolexes this way

Yes, this can work. Sometimes they may even have what you want in stock. :yes:

• Like 1

From what I have read around various forums, if you can pick up SS sports models readily, buy every one you can get your hands on and get ready to make your fortune!

8 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

This is what keeps their production at the levels they currently are. They operate J.I.T. stocking and manufacturing with scheduled use of the same facilities for different pre-arranged manufacturing programs at different times, based on orders from ADs and from a general feeder-stock situation for the models like the Oyster Perpetual in Steel etc etc....

Have ever worked in engineering manufacturing or for that matter Rolex ??? 

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Nobody made a calf out of 904L stainless yet ? :baby:

Not so sure, there used to be a big stainless bull at the Avesta stainless steel works in Sheffield clearly visible from the M1

I worked in the labs there many years ago in yet another one of my many previous lives. I hated staying in hotels so drove there and back every day, a torturous door to door round trip of 200 miles. 

:(

Edited by BondandBigM

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Not so sure, there used to be a big stainless bull as the Avesta stainless steel works in Sheffield clearly visible from the M1

And at the Avesta works in Sweeden. 

avestavicent.jpg

brian_hed.jpg?itok=jd4WuoHt&resize=1100x

2 year waiting list just to touch it.

• Haha 2

Apologies for being silly @JIMMYNo1

Does your friend know what they really want ? I hate it when mine ask what I think they should buy, and tell them to make a choice and then ask, which usually means they go and do what they want. Whatever they go for its important they don't get stung. Apparently there is a rumour that Rolex are being a bit heavy with servicing charges on older watches, but that could nonsense. Anyone know ?. Speedmasters are also good. Tudor divers ? I've got one, and I shall keep it, because I like it. I had a small problem under warranty which was fixed professionally and very promptly. Good service like that, improves their image in my eyes, and I shall buy again. Hope you get your buddy fixed up with something. :thumbsup: