• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
dobra

Double Trouble

Have two manual wind watches which cost much less than a hundred from the Forum a few years ago. I think they were NOS at the time, and are still mint. However, both have ceased running after a few hours, probably coz the lubricants have ceased lubricating.

The conundrum is - the watches were so cheap, servicing would cost much more than their value! Dump, offer for parts or watch box?

mike

PS - thrown off Ryde Pier would be a local option......

You could try selling them for a price that you think is fair which might be interesting for others as well...

It depends what the watches are.  Just because they were cheap to buy doesn't necessarily mean that they're not worth saving.

Second and third all of above. It would be sacrilege to just dump mechanical watches whatever they were. Make/model so someone could volunteer to keep them going. Any Seiko or Sekonda would find a home here for a modest outlay.

Definitely don't dump 'em, that would almost be grounds for a ban on here :whistling:

Best option IMHO would be to offer them up on here as "spares/repairs", either for sale or as a freebie in a giveaway, I'm sure one of our resident tinkerers would probably give them a good home.  Post up a pic and see what the reaction is (If either one of them is over 40mm I'd be happy to take it and have a go at swapping the innards for a quartz module...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would certainly offer them up here before taking them crabbing :nono:

Many of mine were once deemed useless old 'tat' before they became my old tat. :biggrin:

As @rhaythorne alludes to^^^^^, give us a look-see first...please!

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

(If either one of them is over 40mm I'd be happy to take it and have a go at swapping the innards for a quartz module...)

:nono:

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

that would almost be grounds for a ban on here :whistling:

:yes:

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now then K, as I`ve mentioned before it`s not Davey`s fault that he is such a philistine with regards to mechanical watches,  he`s had way too many knocks to his head while skiing....

Image result for skiing crash

It`s effected the poor chap`s judgement :rolleyes: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Here they are, but I do feel as though they ought to me to be keepers for looks rather than quality or age......

Faulty_Watches.jpg

Faulty_watches2.jpg

mike

Edited by dobra
  • Like 2

I wish I had more watch maintenance skills... I feel the need to start tinkering so that when I see wonderful things like this I will be able to save them.

Like Stone Cold Davey, and others, have said, there are tinkerers here who could put them to order. Offer them as a raffle, or a giveaway, or ask if someone wants to try their hand at reviving them for you, in exchange for the experience. Depends upon if you want the few ducats, or want to give someone a challenge. 

Sell? Why bother. 

Dump? Don't you even dare. 

Throw away? I agree, grounds for banning. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." 

• Haha 1

Both definitely worth saving IMHO, especially the larger right hand one :thumbsup:

Might be worth contacting @simon2 for a quote, a service might not be as expensive as you think... :whistling:

Both look re-deemable to me! Aesthetically I'm not keen on the Roman Numerals dial, but that's me! I may be old, but I'm not that old as to require Latin lessons to read the time. The watch itself is  or will be a good 'un for someone, and the Parnis-a-like looks well, you don't see too many in this style with light coloured dials, mostly they come in black!  (or has it faded in the sun?  :whistle:  )

• Like 1