• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jonesinamillion

Tudor black bay - talk me out of it!

the BB is almost as nice looking as the Marine Master , but if I wanted a rolex i'd buy a rolex not a tudor and if I wanted a rolex i'd buy a polar explorer 2.

but then you are not I , am'nt you not ! 

that bezel just doesn't do it for me - and its a dive watch on leather ...

and that hour hand even uglier than the second hand 

:laugh:

:whistle:

so what I am trying to say is buy the bloody thing if you like it , don't if you don't :OyVey:

• Like 1

Was that the BB, or the new BB 58? If the latter, and it wears well on your wrist, I'd wait until the initial buzz has died down and you can talk up a deal. AND buy one with the SS bracelet. OR get to see the G&SS model for comparison (which looks LOVERLY in the promotional pics). 

If NOT, DEFinitely wait until you can compare with the new BB 58, and -- sure why not -- the BB GMT that everyone's talking about. Might wow you even more. 

ALSO ... give yourself some weeks or months to think about it. Do you still crave it, or does the initial glee die down to "Hmm, that was a rather nice watch." I find that if I keep going back to something and checking it, and thinking about it, I want it. If I don't, well then I didn't want it quite so badly. 

7 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

I really cannot find a single thing that I dislike about the watch; The strap is perfect, the crown action is silk, the bezel movement makes me smile, the raised crystal is awesome, the hands are perfect, the deployant is great, vintage lume & styling is spot on, colours just sit, its versatile...

42289835105_2c68ea779c_o_d.jpg

Replying to this^ BTW

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rotundus said:

and that hour hand even uglier than the second hand 

This^^ :yes:

8 hours ago, Rotundus said:

but if I wanted a rolex i'd buy a rolex not a tudor.

How things come out of the blue. I've just coined Tudors new slogan. Instead of "Born To Dare". "Tudor. Rolex Without The Bo[[o©ks". I'll give you a percentage of my commission. :laughing2dw:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

How things come out of the blue. I've just coined Tudors new slogan. Instead of "Born To Dare". "Tudor. Rolex Without The Bo[[o©ks". I'll give you a percentage of my commission. :laughing2dw:

Perhaps a forum award is due ?

"Forum Laureate" :whistle:

:tongue:

• Haha 2

Offer your other half an equivalent amount of money to spend and then you don't have to justify it to anyone who matters. You are here only once (unless you are a Buddhist) and you have an addiction. Get stuck in!! This is my moment. Fortunately the other half cannot think of anything YET.DSC01027.JPG.47eec0c1b4a920beeceb0a5c475d6bea.JPG

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Give me some negatives folks or this is going to get costly!

Whenever someone looks at the watch they'll be judging you for wearing the not-quite-a-Rolex watch whose ambassador is lady gaga.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DryEagle said:

Whenever someone looks at the watch they'll be judging you for wearing the not-quite-a-Rolex watch whose ambassador is lady gaga.

That's their problem not yours. Buy what you like 99.99% of the population don't give a monkeys what watch you are wearing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

That's their problem not yours. Buy what you like 99.99% of the population don't give a monkeys what watch you are wearing.

And 90% of the population couldn't tell you what make a watch is if it smacked them in the face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

I think you're missing the point of this thread mate.

What an extraordinary thread, with so much posting generated by a simple question.

I note that a repeated (and contradicted) negative view expressed has been that onlookers will think you are only a not-quite-a-Rolex sort of person. DryEagle expressed this view but, as he himself has just replied here above, we are supposed to be looking for negatives on this thread so one can't blame him for stating what is probably true in the case of some watch snobs. In my opinion, Tudor watches, as they have emerged recently, have forged a brand that stands on its own merits and does not lie in the shadow of Rolex. At first, I wasn't keen on the "snowflake" hands aesthetically, but I have mellowed a bit on that one, and Tudor now has a real identity and presence in the quality watch market.:biggrin:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I note that a repeated (and contradicted) negative view expressed has been that onlookers will think you are only a not-quite-a-Rolex sort of person.

My feeling is that this scenario has happened as a result of unscrupulous dealers advertising worn out old dog's of Tudors as "Rolex Tudors" in an attempt to get the gullible to part with the cash. Try it the other way round. Next time you see someone wearing an Omega, ask them if they really wanted a Swatch.

14 hours ago, Rotundus said:

the BB is almost as nice looking as the Marine Master , but if I wanted a rolex i'd buy a rolex not a tudor and if I wanted a rolex i'd buy a p

I'll stick my neck out and say the Marine Master Pro is probably better than both, for a number of reasons, and I should have bought one. :yes:

still nothing wrong with the Black Bay though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DryEagle said:

I suspect that the number of run of the mill people who know Tudor's relationship with Rolex is way, way fewer than you think. Whenever "someone" looks at the watch, they'll probably think, Hm, nice watch.... 

And the days are long past when Tudor "Oyster Princes" and similar looked similar to their Rolex counterparts, with a shared case, crown, but different dial logo and details. Mind, I like those, and would love one! But the recent Tudor revival is, as others have asserted, really individualistic. I think the relation to Rolex is in the DNA and heritage, NOT in visible characteristics. 

Edited by Chromejob

12 hours ago, DryEagle said:

Nah, most people will look at the watch (if they notice at all) and think "Oh, Hello. Check out flash Harry's watch there!", people who know watches will look at it and think "mmm, Black Bay. Nice!" and there will be a very small group of people in between who might be in your camp.

• Thanks 2

Bought a B.B. for one of my sons for last Christmas, and had a good look at it. 

Loved it. If I was into divers, I would buy one very quickly (and certainly over a Sub).

If you really want negatives (every watch has them), as has already been mentioned, it’s slightly slab sided for some tastes (I am fine with it), and it doesn’t have a display back (which is a bit of a hot-button for me).

I doubt you’ll regret it though. Oh, and I got 10% without even haggling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure it was the 58 I tried and loved. I'm gonna wait untill my other one is delivered first.... Then go back up lto the AD late August and see if I still love it. If I do I'll walk out the door with it!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by Jonesinamillion

2 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Pretty sure it was the 58 I tried and loved. 

Didn't have the option when I got mine, but that would be my choice now. However, I'll stick with what I've got as I'm more than pleased with it.

Tried one on today, really should not have done so.
I really cannot find a single thing that I dislike about the watch; The strap is perfect, the crown action is silk, the bezel movement makes me smile, the raised crystal is awesome, the hands are perfect, the deployant is great, vintage lume & styling is spot on, colours just sit, its versatile...

Give me some negatives folks or this is going to get costly!

42289835105_2c68ea779c_o_d.jpg

Hi Jonesinamillion. I bought one earlier in the year and absolutely love. It’s a little smaller than I would normally wear but I couldn’t resist. I went for the S&G variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Sorry, I can't talk you out of it as I love the black bays and keep having to stop myself buying one.:whistle:. Initially the crown design took a while to grow on me but once I'd seen one in the flesh I wanted one:rolleyes:. Love em. My quandary will be whether to have the red bezel or black. Goldsmiths aren't helping as they keep offering interest free purchase. :taz:

3 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

My quandary will be whether to have the red bezel or black. 

Go for the bracelet, you also get a ridiculously overpriced NATO included as well. You can always put an aftermarket leather strap on for not much money.