• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Collets Longer Pocket Watch

Not sure yet. Needs a stem and crown, but the sub second works when the wheel is given a gentle blow. Ive taken off the front cover and it is bright white despite the yellow look from the acrylic

I might see how much of the water damage I can clean and see if I can get it working.

Would be nice to get a bit of history on the brand and age.

Edited by retro72
  • Like 1

Collet is actually a technical term in jewellery, but it is also the name of a jewellers in Longwy ( A Commune in France) which apparently traded from c.2005 until recently, retailing jewellery and watches. Obviously, your interesting pocket watch goes way back long before 2005, but the Collet name may have been associated with Longwy jewellers and watch retailers in past periods.

Frustratingly, I cannot so far find the unusual trade mark on your watch movement; it seems to be a stylized oval buckle. The term, "Argentan," on your watch relates to an alloy known as nickel silver, which was produced as a cheap alternative to true silver, especially in the later 19th century and on into the early twentieth century. The word, "Argentan" itself is one of many such terms for nickel silver widely used to "pretend" that the metal was actually silver, with Argentan probably being a French variant. In fact, the trade mark on your watch case, containing the word, Argentan, should be traceable to a particular company.

I will keep looking for information about your Collet, Longwy, pocket watch but it may be one of those impossible tasks.:)

Nothing is impossible lol

All I have managed to find out is that it is a pin set pocket watch and this type of mechanism was 19th century early 20th. 

Any advice on how to get the movement out of the case as the pin setter is confusing me.

Ok, managed to find out a bit of info from a French forum.

The watch was made by Claude Crettiez so I am guessing it was CC and not CG or GC. Since finding out this info I have managed to find some identical movements with interesting reading. Just in case anyone in the future has a similar quest, the info I have found is below courtesy of Google Translate.

Very high quality French pocketwatch from end of the 19th century in perfect working order . High grade Chronometer from Claude Crettiez made in Arâche , Haute savoie , France . As often Crettiez did'nt put his name on the dial . Instead of doing that he only put 'Chronomètre' or nothing at all . That way he gave the distributors the opportunity to put there own name . The quality of the caliber can compete very well with those of the very well known Swiss manufactures and Crettiez tought that his name was more appropriate on the inside .