• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
craig12

how much is too much £££££

just wondered how much money members think Is too much for a watch , not talking investment of any kind, nor flipping , just , what figure is something that makes you say im fine with this , or now that is a bit too much to be comfortable and I don't wanna stretch myself or tell the other half, me personally I like paying £29.99-£100 for fun or if im brassed off and think what the heck , lets just buy another , id be comfortable with £500-£1000 if it was a icon like the santos I was offered , or a omega seamaster , I think at £1500 id start to wobble and question what I was getting into , , I wouldn't spend more that £2199 on any watch and for this money id have to have someone really convince me that the model commands the price whoever sells it , so me  in a nutshell its £2200 ceiling price

Edited by craig12

You say not an investment of any kind but watches do have a value.   I would feel better paying £10,000 for a watch worth £9000 than £2000 on a watch worth £500.    My most recent watch was an expensive one, because I was looking at the steel version and realised that it made more sense to get the precious metal version because it wasn't much more money but was rarer and nicer.   The steel version was £5500-£6000 and in gold more like £7000-8000.

Maybe these things should be compared to income, but then you would probably say I am crazy (because my income is not too high) but I have my life sorted in such a way my expenses are low and my income is mainly disposable so maybe that makes a difference.   What also makes a difference is your money earns nothing sitting in the bank so you may as well enjoy it...

I don't have many cheaper watches because they add up quickly and I don't want a larger collection either... personally I would prefer one good watch to 4 not so good watches.

This is a bit of a minefield subject, everyone is different and I don't tell others what they should do with their money but you asked and this is the way I see it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craig12 said:

so me  in a nutshell its £2200 ceiling price

That's very specific... Black Bay?? That's the watch that kind of calls out to me as a ceiling, I just feel looking beyond that there are plenty of watches I like, but nothing I like enough to justify the difference in price for me. 

19 minutes ago, The Canon Man said:

Simple rule. Your watch should always be worth less than your motorcycle.

I've got a pretty serious problem then.

60cce466-fda2-11e5-849e-78e2e41af15e.jpg

:crazy5vh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Good point... all things are relative, if people are prepared to pay the price, there will be a market for it.

I’ve paid £1800 for a watch... My friends think that’s crazy/expensive!

I have a mate who collects comic books, he’s paid £3000 for one, but it’s sealed in plastic, and does nothing, you can’t even read it, just look at the cover...

I have a colleague at work who paid £1600 on a jumper because it has “supreme” on it...

Its all relative!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jizzle said:

ts all relative!

I suppose if I totalled the amount of alcohol I poured over my neck it would equate to a very decent watch. Cheers. :drinks:

Man: Do you drink beer?

Me: Yes

Man: How many beers a day do you drink ?

Me: Usually about 3.

Man How much do you pay per beer?

Me: About £2.00.

Man: And how long have you been drinking?

Me: About 25 years.

Man: So a beer costs £2.00 and you have 3 beers a day which puts your spending each month at around £180. In one year, that would be approximately £2160.00 wouldn't it?

Me: Correct

Man: If in 1 year you spend £2160.00, for the past 25 years you've spent £54.000.00, correct ?

Me: Correct.

Man: Do you know that if you didn't drink beer, that money could have been invested for the past 25 years, and you could have now bought the motorcycle and watch of your dreams ?

Me: Do you drink beer?

Man: No

Me: So what kind of watch and motorcycle do you have then ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

as long as you and your family ( if you have one) has a roof over the heads and their bellies full of food, the rest of any monies is fair game to spend on what ever takes yur fancy :laugh:, do you  really need that £80 per month sky package ,there's a lump of money at year end to buy a really nice watch, four letters IPTV :thumbsup:, a Yorkshire saying "what our lass has is ours and what's mine is me own to do /spend as I please "( helps been mortgage free for last 15 years :biggrin:) Oh and " you cat take it with thy lad"

deano

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't really put a figure on it. It's more what you can afford or if you have the moolahs to take the plunge. If you were eyeing up a watch that causes you to break a sweat , it would have to be one with serious appreciation and a collectors wet dream, otherwise what would be the point.

• Like 1

I’m not a rich man by any means but over the years I’ve built up a decent handful because i saved and made a few sacrifices on the way. 

I guess I’d weigh the lot in for “the one” and not wince too much... but that’s because I’ve built it up over the years. 

If you asked five years ago I’d have balked at about £500 I reckon :0

14 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

The yorkshire battle cry is needed before ANY purchase

OW MUCH????????????

You know I learned how to cure sea sickness from a Yorkshire man. When you're leaning over the side, grip a 50 pence coin between your teeth.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

That's very specific... Black Bay?? That's the watch that kind of calls out to me as a ceiling, I just feel looking beyond that there are plenty of watches I like, but nothing I like enough to justify the difference in price for me. 

I'm currently having this exact same quandary. Keep looking at the belwo pic and am slowly talking myslef into it. I'm just having a few more weeks deliberating. ...

IMG_20180704_140140

• Like 1

Hard one, very situationally specific. Dependent on what’s going on when the inclination or opportunity comes along.

would never leave myself short but don’t spend much on much else bar other edc items so probably more than I should............

18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

You know I learned how to cure sea sickness from a Yorkshire man. When you're leaning over the side, grip a 50 pence coin between your teeth.

Not if your wearing these...

Image result for free images of dentures holding coins

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

Lots.  I have no upper end, but I don't borrow money to buy watches. 

I did once seriously try on a Patek Philippe perpetual calendar at £20k.  I would have had to borrow to buy it, but after the lovely coffee was served with posh biscuits the shop announced it was actually £37k, and the labels had been mixed up.  Ah well,  least the coffee was nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Canon Man said:

Simple rule. Your watch should always be worth less than your motorcycle.

Lol. I paid £4,750 for my grey market Speedmaster ‘57 Co-Axial last year but that was a 60th birthday present to myself (born in 1957). I've just paid £2,350 for another grey import - a SMPc 300M but that was from funds left over from the sale of my motorcycle! I still have enough left in the kitty for one more watch.......

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1

Jesus! 550000 is insane , like you say I’d be worried to even be at home with that, just sitting there waiting for a home invasion!

Jesus! 55000 is insane , like you say I’d be worried to even be at home with that, just sitting there waiting for a home invasion!

Its relative to what you can afford.  If £500 is your limit then thats what you are comfortable with, if £5000 is your limit then its that.  I have little interest in cars but friends I know do and will happily pay 20k or above on a car while think I am mad paying anything over one or two grand for a watch.  If you like it and can afford it why not buy it?

As the TV gambling averts say "when the fun stops, stop".

Yeah, like that will happen.:laugh:

I suppose that some could use a relative metric like "two months gross pay" or "no more than my car is worth...."  I think a real benchmark would be, a watch so expensive you'd be nervous wearing it. Clearly, if you were afraid of losing it from a loose spring bar or a shifty fellow with larceny on his mind, then it cost you too much. Protect your life, give up the bauble. I wouldn't travel with my finest watches, for fear of losing them. I wouldn't mind losing my Steinhart or a Seiko. 

I've had Snide Sams argue that the money I paid for Mk II LE watches was crazy, but they were actually much much less than  finer looking watches. The investment was the patience, not just dollars or pounds. 

So the question isn't merely just "how much money is too much," for watches like LEs and Rolexes, there's an investment of how much waiting you're willing to invest to acquire the watch you're dreaming of. 

I think both these factors of this equation don't apply to people who buy the ungodly expensive Hublots and other extravagant baubles with money that is literally disposable to them. 

• Like 1

I have a self imposed upper limit of around £200 per watch, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  Ironically, since cashing in my private pension 3 years ago to buy a bigger house, I've got more "rainy day" money than I've ever had in my life, but I still wouldn't spend any of that on an expensive watch - I guess I'm just not taking this game as seriously as most of you lot :laughing2dw:

I think I've found my comfortable level with TW Steels.  I've got 8 in the collection so far, none were above £180-ish, and some were a lot less than that.  I guess it's all relative, and it doesn't stop me enjoying reading about other members on here spending more on their latest incoming watch than I spent on my car :thumbs_up:

:rltrlt:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1