• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Melville

Edwardian mantel clock restored.

I found this on a car boot in dire need of restoration.  The case had lost most of it's polish and the ornamental brass work and the movement was black.  Needless to say it didn't work, but it was cheap and I hadn't worked on a clock for some time as I don't collect them, underneath the grime and neglect I could see there was a nice quality little case and movement, so a few pounds changed hands, and as I tucked it in my carrier bag my wife gave me that well known sidelong glance and a shake of the head.  I told her the original key alone was worth what paid.  She smiled.  She'd heard it all before.

Well a few days later beavering away in the shed and it looks a lot better, works and keeps super time.  All in all a very nice little 8 day clock.  The movement has the lion emblem of Albert Villon.

Now, where to stand it.

DSCF0073.JPG.e393c356737d0e408b117910cbc2292b.JPGDSCF0074.JPG.a4f71114718f0ad1960fcdfcb941fe1d.JPGDSCF0075.JPG.03c12deb538973444680f0b443440d99.JPG

• Like 3

Nice restoration, the clock looks great!  :yes:

Any before pics? :huh:

Edited by Roddyjb

No, I was that keen to get started that it was only when I was putting it back together again in the kitchen that I realised I'd not taken any pictures, but I did take a picture of the debris with the addition of the other clock the seller gave me for free.  I think that will have to wait a while.  The novelty has worn off.

DSCF0076.JPG.c4bfa21eae6680609f9bb7c51577048d.JPG

The dial and hands were okay. The dial was dirty but a wash in soapy water and a gentle polish brought it up like new, and the hands just needed rubbing down and a little heat to re-blue them.  The movement and plates were quite tarnished and required a lot of cleaning and polishing.(much the same as the carriage clock)  The only thing that was missing when I originally looked at it was the platform escapement.  It was a pleasant surprise to find a brand new one in some tissue paper in the bottom of the cardboard box!  So it was complete, plus the sad looking carriage clock all for a tenner.  The lady selling it seemed delighted to get rid of it.  So I thought it was worth taking a chance.

• Like 1