• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
scottswatches

Biggest waste of money out there?

Now and then I am amazed at what some people will and do pay for watches that I can not see the value in.  I am not knocking someone who spends £20k on a Patek or A.Lange, which I consider to be things of beauty and long term investments, but this?

MRG-G2000HB-1ADR

Go on, guess the price?  No cheating!

OK, I'll play, and without looking it up on t'internet I'd say the G-Shock is around £1200.  What's my prize?

:laughing2dw:

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

OK, I'll play, and without looking it up on t'internet I'd say the G-Shock is around £1200.  What's my prize?

:laughing2dw:

Yet another competition you have lost  :laugh:

• Sad 1

Should I risk guessing and being completely off by a mile? Hmm... £1000?? That would be a lot for a G-Shock. Although this one is particularly ok looking, most others look like the Quasimodos of the watch world. 

I will keep digging in my heels - I will not own a G-Shock!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NickD said:

Okay, I'll start Scott....£5k

scarily this is the closest answer.  The cost is £4,500.  There is a gold version for £5k, but at least that has the melt down value!

Looking at new watches on Chrono24 and you could have a Zenith El Primero for that money, or a choice of Jaeger-Lecoultre.  Admittedly they don't bluetooth the wave height to you (I'm guessing what the Casio does!).  What would be your choice for £4500, or would anyone have the Casio?

Could be in the £2k - £3k range depending on that material and specs. I quite like that but it might suffer from the G Shock perceptions - bit like people who would not buy a GS because it is part of the Seiko group.

Well, at $5,000 (when I looked), the model you show is clearly a very expensive G-Shock. Even the version of the watch with the plain black bezel is pretty high in price at $3,500, and I have been more used to paying about £50 for G-Shock watches discounted in sales.:laugh:

I will say in its favour though that the model you show, the MRGG2000HB-1A, is a rather nice watch and I love that hammered bezel and the association with traditional Japanese metalworking and the the making of Samurai swords. Yes, I know there is a huge premium to pay for that, but if you are a wealthy watch collector and love G-Shocks then I suppose that is a price you might be willing to pay. The question may be, of course, if you are really wealthy would you even consider collecting G-Shock watches?:)

@scottswatches selling on Amazon for £3900 - bargain...

It is Titanium, solar, gps and probably built like a tank so a real go anywhere, do anything watch. If you were into trecking through rain forests without access to the internet then that would probably be a better bet than a Rolex Explorer or similar. 

Probably need to consider who the target customer is really.  Would I buy one? No.  But then I have a £80 G Shock that works just fine for general outdoor stuff.

However, there are just as good Casio digital watches for £30 or £50 so admittedly I am being taken in by marketing just as much as the next person with the whole “G shock” tough watches guff.

Some 20 or so year old with money to burn may be more than happy to pay 3k for a Casio and wonder why bother with a Zenith or the like that’s not going to hold up to the rigours of his lifestyle or likewise he may even own a Zenith and think what the hell?  I have the money I’ll spend it on this.

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

What would be your choice for £4500, or would anyone have the Casio?

£4500 is exactly what I am trying to save up to buy a Rolex Explorer (although I am secretly hoping I can get away with paying a little bit less than that).

The Casio has no chance.

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

It is Titanium, solar, gps and probably built like a tank so a real go anywhere, do anything watch. If you were into trecking through rain forests without access to the internet then that would probably be a better bet than a Rolex Explorer or similar. 

Better than the explorer?! :swoon: Maybe I have it all wrong....

2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Now and then I am amazed at what some people will and do pay for watches that I can not see the value in.  I am not knocking someone who spends £20k on a Patek or A.Lange, which I consider to be things of beauty and long term investments, but this?

MRG-G2000HB-1ADR

Go on, guess the price?  No cheating!

Didn't you just buy one of those "More value out of burning Fifty Quid notes" Mercs. 

When it goes wrong, and just like my TT it will, it'll make the Mr G look like a bit of a bargain and in years to come it will most likely still do what it is supposed to do.

Tell you what time it is

:laugh: :laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richy176 said:

Bet Percy Fawcett wished he had one.

PROD-Colonel-Percy-Fawcett.jpg

14 hours ago, Noob101 said:

£4500 is exactly what I am trying to save up to buy a Rolex Explorer (although I am secretly hoping I can get away with paying a little bit less than that).

The Casio has no chance.

Better than the explorer?! :swoon: Maybe I have it all wrong....

I would buy the Explorer rather than the G-Shock for everyday wear but if both had been available when Percy Fawcett (thanks @WRENCH) was doing real exploring, then I think the G-Shock would have been the better choice.

15 hours ago, bridgeman said:

Am I missing something.?

who is  MR G?????

Here's a clue.

large.MRG-G2000HB-1ADR_1_kindlephoto-355

15 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Didn't you just buy one of those "More value out of burning Fifty Quid notes" Mercs. 

When it goes wrong, and just like my TT it will, it'll make the Mr G look like a bit of a bargain and in years to come it will most likely still do what it is supposed to do.

Tell you what time it is

:laugh: :laugh:

The Merc' cost a lot less than this G shock!