• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
odyseus10

Recommendation for a "weighty" Divers watch

Greetings All,

It's been a while since I bought a watch now, the last one being being a Tissot T-touch Expert.

But, I would like a weighty/chunky metal bracelet divers watch - budget £300 - £400.

One watch that I already have my eye on is this Orient SEL3001B0 (~£260), but does anyone have any other recommendations ?? Many thanks J.

SEL03001B-4.jpg.2318d60200ff637844ca28edaab82d02.jpg

I don't know if they're classed as divers watches, but both my Bulova Precisionists are heavy enough to stop me wearing them on a regular basis, and both are rated at 300m water resistance (note: Only the first one has got a rotating bezel, the other one is fixed, so I guess that technically rules it out as a true diver):

DSCF2135

20161128_091052

Both awesome looking watches, definitely matching your "weighty/chunky metal bracelet" requirements, and of course the smooth Precisionist movement inside both of them speaks for itself :yahoo:

• Like 3

Funny enough, I had the top Precisionist - with the carbon fibre inserts,  but ended up flipping it :( - i think they are bit too "American" if you know what I mean?? :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, odyseus10 said:

Funny enough, I had the top Precisionist - with the carbon fibre inserts,  but ended up flipping it :( - i think they are bit too "American" if you know what I mean?? :)

I'm not sure what that means, but I guess if you flipped it that puts it out of the running then...? :laughing2dw:

I sold my 1960's Omega Seamaster 300 because it was too big and heavy, and felt like having an anchor on my wrist.  Not sure they are in your budget, but they are certainly up there in terms of weight and bulk on your wrist!

IMAG0334.jpg.66afae75dae72ec7ff6d09b6e33594b9.jpgBreitling Superocean A17360. 1500M depth rating so even if you go proper diving should hold up.  Nice big lump on the wrist too.   Now discontinued but easily found used and there were several versions of which mine is one of the last. 

• Like 2

How about one of these?

APEKS AP0406-6, PROFESSIONAL 500M, Seiko cal.VX 42.

ApeksDSC_0534_zpsb90c09fd.gif

They are usually listed around £104 with a rubber strap but you can pick up a suitable mesh or other bracelet for not much dosh.

Apeks-DSC_0080.thumb.gif.c063b2bef53c81afbbe986133332870d.gif

A number of people on the forum have got these watches & seem as happy as I am about them :biggrin:

BTW it is also available under other brand names such as Aqualung & Cressi

APEKS AP0406-6, PROFESSIONAL 500M, Seiko cal.VX 42..gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

How about one of these?

APEKS AP0406-6, PROFESSIONAL 500M, Seiko cal.VX 42.

ApeksDSC_0534_zpsb90c09fd.gif

They are usually listed around £104 with a rubber strap but you can pick up a suitable mesh or other bracelet for not much dosh.

Apeks-DSC_0080.thumb.gif.c063b2bef53c81afbbe986133332870d.gif

A number of people on the forum have got these watches & seem as happy as I am about them :biggrin:

BTW it is also available under other brand names such as Aqualung & Cressi

APEKS AP0406-6, PROFESSIONAL 500M, Seiko cal.VX 42..gif

I like the second strap - is that a "Engineers" II type bracelet?? Not sure if it's a 20m or 22mm though..it's 20mm apparently :)

Edited by odyseus10
  • Like 1

I agree with Mach the Apeks/Divex/Cressi brands are all brilliant , here is mine 

IMG_20180216_133310385.jpg

Great value for the money at around £100 plus the extra cost of a bracelet but you will be left with plenty of change to buy yourself something else :)

• Like 1

I had one of these and it was a beast - Obris Morgan Infinity.  Quite hard to find used though. 

The bracelet was huge, could have used it as a belt.

37189397864_60eee6799d_b.jpg

• Like 1

Heavy especially when its on a bracelet, SRP77 and even heavier if you get an aftermarket bracelet

large.P8130064s.jpg.2dc037771642aa17a6215dd4602c4858.jpg

• Like 2

I would agree to most options above, like my Aqualung on a engineered bracelet and a shout for the Obris Morgan :thumbsup:

IMG_1218.jpg20180717_112052.jpg

• Like 3

If it's heft you want, try the Citizen 'Ecozilla'. Using an 'eco drive' movement, it charges via light, so no battery changes. The stainless version weighs in at 9oz (256g), the titanium version will be lighter (and more expensive). Ranging from £250 up to £400 on the bay. An awesome watch, and the lume is fabulous too.

Citizen 'Ecozilla'

Citizen 'Ecozilla' weight

Citizen 'Ecozilla' lume

• Like 2

You can pick these up easily within your budget. I bought mine locally so no hassle with shipping or import duties and a bricks and morter "face" if in the unlikely event there should be any issues. 

:)

jT6xRz.jpg

y89MN7.jpg

I can't believe I just recommended a Seiko

:huh:

I must be getting soft in my old age. 

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, odyseus10 said:

I must admit the Apeks 1000m Pro (£119) looks pretty nice (looks like the Aqualung Pro 500m but cheaper ??) , especially if I get get an engineer bracelet (22mm) too ??

http://www.aquanauts.co.uk/apeks-1000m-diving-watch-ap0406-5

Hi John

Got my bracelet here:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MEHLKSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The whole thing is 178grms

IMG_20180712_202150752.jpg.ca26215ec2405b7f067103a688d49cf7.jpg

Edited by BobJ
  • Like 1