• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
dobra

Omega de Ville Automatic

I have owned this 18 karat gold watch for a number of years. It starts instantly when lifted from the (Lidl) luxury watch box and keeps excellent time. From time to time, I do a scan of the Squinternet to find another one, but failed. Was this TV shape unpopular? Too expensive? de Ville model not available through rarity?

I think it is early 1960s, but little beyond that. I have taken a series of piccies to help and sleuths help me.

The de Ville automatic

Omegade_Ville1.jpg

The face. Slight rubbing on perifery perhaps due to movement moving within case. Hands not too good. Ignore the white top left, poor lighting.

Omegade_Ville2.jpg

Movement

Omegade_Ville3.jpg

Gold case back

Omegade_Ville4.jpg

The case

Omegade_Ville5.jpg

I would be grateful for any information about this watch. It was serviced about five/six years ago.

mike

Edited by dobra

I have looked at these a few times and watched a few on eBay, they don't seem very popular, but I do quite like the style and have wondered how they wear as they are square!  I have seen all steel and gold versions.  As it is 18k, in years gone by the scrap gold may have been worth more than the watch, however in a couple of years time, who knows...

As to the age, the movement serial number (assuming an original movement) dates the watch to around 1969.

• Like 1

Fancy cases (a term to describe anything not round, square or rectangular) tend to wear well but have a limited appeal.  I've just bought a trapezoidal watch though!

I like it, and would agree with @andyd30 that the movement dates from 1969.

The case was also used in Geneve models

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-geneve-omega-st-162-0010

3 hours ago, dobra said:

Thanks Andy - not popular, I guess?

mike

Possibly not , but the 18k case has good value as does the 565 calibre movement as used in the highly popular Seamaster 300 :yes:

• Like 1

Last question - where are the de Ville models in the hierachy of models in the 60's ?

Thanks for all your replies, not selling, as I love it !!

mike

@dobra I would say it is late 1960's rather than early, I had a look in the Omega book and there are similar models around 1968 / 1969

• Like 1