• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Harris

Repairing a much-abused Tudor Prince Oysterdate?

In this thread:

I described the condition of my c.1963/4 Tudor Prince Oysterdate.  I've been trying, without any luck, to find someone who would be able to repair this watch, to a reasonable high standard.  I appreciate it's not a particularly valuable watch, and that the repairs may well cost a significant proportion of the value of the watch, but I've owned it for many years in this sorry state and would love to be able to wear it again.

The movement seems to still work well, as I've been winding it and it runs well, and keeps reasonably good time, although the sweep second hand doesn't move.  As a bare minimum the watch needs the second hand problem fixing, a new crystal, a clean and service and a new bracelet clasp (which seems to be a Rolex bracelet from c.1967).  I would also like to have the case polished, and the dial cleaned, as both are a bit scruffy.

Would this be something you might be able to help with, please?  As a new member I've not reached the required number of posts to enable the PM system, but I'm developing an interest in simple watch repairs, having got my late Father's Rotary GT (c.1969) running, after 49 years of being stored in a loft, and am currently attempting to repair a 1956 Cyma R.458 that my Godfather gave me as an 18th birthday gift in 1970, and trying to document my learning curve in this thread:

I'd be really grateful if there is anything you can suggest with regard to getting this Tudor running and usable again.  Happy to contact you directly if you think you may be able to help.

Many thanks for the prompt reply, it's much appreciated.  Here are some photos from the other thread that show the watch as it is now:

Face.jpg

Rear.jpg

Watch_and_bracelet.jpg

Hope these help.  I can take some more photos if they would be more useful.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks like the seconds hand is damaged and the dial feet are broken. Would have to examine it at my bench, for a full report. Hope this helps. Regards Simon

Thanks for the reply, Simon.

Best for me to post it to you so you can have a good look at it, perhaps.  I can confirm that the dial seems to be able to rotate slightly, hence the date window looking to be a bit askew.  I had wondered if this watch had a dial with feet, or whether the dial was secured at the edge with a tangential screw clamp type fixing, as I believe some Rolex models may use (could be wrong on this - I've just been looking at YouTube videos).

Would you also be able to do all the other work I suspect this watch needs?  The bracelet clasp is broken and needs replacing, the crystal is missing so a new one is needed, the dial could do with a clean and I strongly suspect that the movement, although still keeping good time, could do with a clean, as the crystal has been missing for several decades and even though it's been stored in small cardboard box, some dust is bound to have got inside it, I think.

It was last serviced just after I came back to the UK in 1974, IIRC, so is well overdue for a service!

Might be best if I gave you a ring to chat about it before just sending it off, perhaps.   I have found your address and number in another post, so will try and call you this afternoon.

Sorry, but have been out of the workshop most of today. If your able to give a contact telephone number I can be sure to be in my workshop, when I ring. Regards Simon.

PS It would be advisable to have a chat, before sending.