UK Watch Forum banner

What a Painting!

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Mechanical Alarm 
#1 ·
I like art. I'm excited at a new series of Fake or Fortune tonight, and another new series of Britain's Lost Masterpieces starting on BBC4 on Wednesday, but I saw this today and it has made me want to buy it

0_Wayne-Sheppard

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-left-brain-damaged-after-13065887

the story is interesting too

I'm trying to buy it @bowie so don't outbid me!

Has anyone else been dumbstruck by a painting before? What is your favourite?

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the odd bit of art. I'm not clued into the different styles or artists and history behind it all. I just know when I like what I see. Most of the modern stuff I don't get at all, looks like a pile of s**t just dropped on a canvas , but each to their own. I enjoy the programmes you mentioned, and like a gander at antiques roadshow.

Landscapes I would say i'm drawn towards more , Constable would be up there with iconic for me. Definitely not the taste of now a days. Reminds me of growing up with a print hanging is most houses I visited as a young kid.

N-1207-00-000049-WZ-PYR.tif&CNT=1&WID=65

#14 ·
#4 ·

Like the "Cult Movie" thread there are far too many to choose from. But in a similar vein to the Bowie picture above, I was always impressed by this Hendrix portrait. Shame it's not the original soundtrack but you get the gist.

#6 ·
1200px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

The death of Socrates by Jaques-Louis David

Reactions: scottswatches
#7 ·
The Bowie portrait has sold...

But the artist is making me another! whooo hoooo

My previous favourite was more classical - the execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche

Image result for lady jane grey painting national gallery

Reactions: r-macus
#12 ·
I'm not in the least bit religious or even that

interested in art but this

Hi Bond.

Don't know if you're interested but this is called "Christ of St. John of the Cross" by Salvador Dali. It's one of my favourites also, along with this one below.

Related image

The Death of the Venerable Bede in Jarrow. Not sure who it is by or how old it is. The painting depicts as the name suggests the death of Bede. It also makes lots of references to death within the painting. I know you did say you were not really interested in art but you have a bit more info now if you didn't already know it.

Regards Paul.

And no photographs to copy from which seems to be the method employed by modern realist painters, I can look at Canaletto for hours, so much to see
Canaletto's architectural detail is amazing, second to none. Like you said, you can look at it and admire it for hours.

#9 ·
Not sure what the style is called, but Dulwich Picture Gallery has several examples of "paintings of paintings in a gallery" in which each of the featured pictures is itself a mini masterpiece. I was thrilled by these when I first saw them. I can't find the exact ones but here are a couple of other random examples off the Internet to illustrate.

paintingofpaintings.jpg

They also have some paintings by Canaletto and I was amazed at the extraordinary attention to precise detail.

canaletto.JPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.