• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
al_kaholik

Another new Seiko

Took a punt on some rather terrible photos on eBay, but pleasantly surprised when it arrived. The crystal is scratched (polish job shortly, else new crystal isn't too expensive) and a damn good clean, the strap has also come up quite nicely, but could do with a bit of a polish too.

7019-5510, dated March 1977. All in, very happy with it.

After cleaning, crystal is in a bad state (phone shot, sorry.)

44037623251_c853a1a2a6_b.jpg2018-08-14_10-41-37 by Alex Bennett, on Flickr

And the filth, presumably 40 years worth?

44037578271_f4d8c7588f_b.jpgCleaning by Alex Bennett, on Flickr

And the dial in perfect condition

30169384868_f8768858db_b.jpgSeiko 5 by Alex Bennett, on Flickr

Meant to ask, any ideas what the black infill is? Its got a couple of gouges in it which I'm keen to reduce or fill if I can

• Like 1

Interesting find and also a first for me, the dial looks immaculate 

An update, I've failed to get a crystal - the only place I can find one is on eBay and I'm having trouble with the seller...

So last night I set about polishing it. I used a 3M headlight polishing kit which is excellent, but overpriced for this application, I just had it lying around. Sanded with 600, 1200 a trizact (3000) and then did a final polish with Brasso. The kit comes with a foam backing pad which is ideal to conform to the shape of the crystal. I think the results speak for themselves.

I'm happy. Just need to work on the case and the infill next

43736952164_6e26628b9b_b.jpgPolished crystal by Alex Bennett, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you were changing that crystal, would you use the normal round dyes to press it in or would you use a specially shaped dye? (not having done one before).

Its a two piece case, the crystal is sandwiched between the top case and the dial which lives in the case back. Second photo in the first post hopefully demonstrates how it all goes together.

16 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

Its a two piece case, the crystal is sandwiched between the top case and the dial which lives in the case back. Second photo in the first post hopefully demonstrates how it all goes together.

Ah yes of course. Thanks.

6 hours ago, mrzee said:

lovely job you've done there. Crystal has come up really well.

Thank you. I'm reasonably handy with some things, but watches are a little smaller than I'm used to!

Dear @al_kaholik, what a good job and so lucky that the dial was in such good nick. I am dying to know what the crystal was made of because if it was a type of glass then what do have managed to achieve seems a miracle to me, and something I might try myself. You mention a "trizact" and I wonder if this is an electric polishing machine like a Dremel.:)

@Always"watching" Afternoon. Thanks for the king words. The crystal is acrylic and this was al done just with hand sanding in about 20 minutes.

Scratching that bad in glass would most certainly be tough, but I'm sure with a machine polisher it would be possible. An alternative might be to fill scratches in the glass using the sort of compound they fix chips in windscreens with.

Trizact is just a very fine proprietary sanding pad by 3M. They're used for last stage sanding before polishing (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/trizact-us/). 

I've seen them used to remove the 'orange peel' that you get on brand new cars with waterbased paint followed by polish :huh:!  There are some mad videos on youtube of pre/post and polish. People much braver than me!

• Thanks 1

I’m very impressed. You should be well chuffed with that. I am with you on the being handy with doing stuff but watches being smaller than you are used to. I am embarking on my first bash at modding a watch and although I am pretty handy at anything from building work and any kind of diy to building pc’s and fixing laptops watches are just so damned fiddly and tiny and with my huge great hands it is not a happy mix. 

I hasten to add that I can no longer do any of the building and diy stuff as my body has spectacularly fallen apart so I have to make do with the little stuff, oh I forgot to add my hands shake just to give me that extra degree of difficulty that I really didn’t need :)

Anyway I raise my hat to you sir

Noj

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2018 at 23:52, Noj said:

I’m very impressed. You should be well chuffed with that. I am with you on the being handy with doing stuff but watches being smaller than you are used to. I am embarking on my first bash at modding a watch and although I am pretty handy at anything from building work and any kind of diy to building pc’s and fixing laptops watches are just so damned fiddly and tiny and with my huge great hands it is not a happy mix. 

I hasten to add that I can no longer do any of the building and diy stuff as my body has spectacularly fallen apart so I have to make do with the little stuff, oh I forgot to add my hands shake just to give me that extra degree of difficulty that I really didn’t need :)

Anyway I raise my hat to you sir

Noj

Thanks Noj. I've plenty left in me for bits and pieces. Watches, and like you computers... I'll pretty much give anything a go. There is likely to be some decent larger DIY projects a little later in the year, not to mention what lurks in the garage.