• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
KO_81

Horror Movies

One here too, used to love the ultra violent  zombie/cannibal bloodfests of the 80`s, the video nasty purge put paid to these for a while but all available again today,when compared to films today though they`re almost laughable but some stand the test of time!

I think the Exorcist is one of the best horror films ever, and still delivers the scares today!

Edited by sabailand

I've never quite understood the mentality of going to the cinema to be scared sh1tless. I also question the mentality and psyche of directors who want to show gore and guts...they must be seriously deranged. The director of the 'Jigsaw' films certainly needs locking up in a 'soft room'! In the old films, a cowboy might get shot...he claps his hand to his chest and falls over...we all knew what had happened. Now, you'll see him get blown apart in slow motion, with blood and guts spraying everywhere. It's just not necessary.

As ever, just my take on this subject and humble opinion...I know others enjoy this sort of thing...each to their own. :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I've never quite understood the mentality of going to the cinema to be scared sh1tless. I also question the mentality and psyche of directors who want to show gore and guts...they must be seriously deranged. The director of the 'Jigsaw' films certainly needs locking up in a 'soft room'! In the old films, a cowboy might get shot...he claps his hand to his chest and falls over...we all knew what had happened. Now, you'll see him get blown apart in slow motion, with blood and guts spraying everywhere. It's just not necessary.

As ever, just my take on this subject and humble opinion...I know others enjoy this sort of thing...each to their own. :thumbsup:

Go on admit it roger its ok, you`re a scaredy cat who dosnt like ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Go on admit it roger its ok, you`re a scaredy cat who dosnt like ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night! :laughing2dw:

You got me bang to rights...sofa.gif

• Haha 1

Through my teenage years I watched anything and everything to do with horror. I think it was Texas Chainsaw massacre first, then Scanners, then the Exorcist. Not sure what order after that but I watched them regularly until my late teens. Lost interest now, I haven't watched one for years. I enjoyed them back in the day though.:evil9kf:

Edited by RSR934

Pretty much the same as above, they do nothing for me now as the genre has been dragged out. I guess in a different era now were numbed to the jumpy scare from directors with the intense music build up ,dame in distress, badly designed prop monster, and lack of common sense to just run out or put a light on or phone for help. 

2 hours ago, RSR934 said:

Scanners

Pause repeat :) 
Head exploding and the Sharon Stone leg crossing has the be the most paused moment in film history :)

Really look forward to the latest horror films, though I think we have been let down lately, the films have not been upto scratch.
The Ring and Grudge were good, the Final Destination films were a good idea.
Best one for me for a while was It Follows, great idea and well executed.

And it might be a strange choice, but the Dr Who episode with the Weeping Angels freaks the frick out of me.     

19 hours ago, KO_81 said:

Any horror movie fans out there? 

Not me

As close I I got to watching one was "Carry on Screaming" :biggrin:

1143-2.jpg

I share the sentiments regarding the vast majority of modern horror movies; they are reduced to cheap scares, gore and sometimes downright stupidity to try and get their scares.

Most of the real classics rely on patience, suspense, often a lack of blood or gore; not many jump scares and just a general tone of claustrophobia and a heavy, foreboding atmosphere. You know something horrible is going to happen, but you're not sure when or where it's going to come from. Plus, they can also call upon a successful back story with well developed and important characters.

My favourites are:

Halloween (1978)
The Thing
The Shining
Alien
The Prowler/Rosemary's Killer
Friday the 13th Part One
Black Christmas
The Exorcist
Silver Bullet
Salem's Lot

Edited by KO_81

They don't make 'em like they used to!  Above are some exceprts from Murnau's 1926 interpretation of Faust.  Genuinely creepy in places!

The Japanese and South Koreans make some good horror films.  The "Ring" movies and "A Tale of Two Sisters" being good examples.

Robert Wise's "The Haunting" from 1963 is also a favourite.

5 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Robert Wise's "The Haunting" from 1963 is also a favourite.

^^That's one of my favourites too. A well made film and proper scary :thumbsup:

And this one...

• Like 1

From dusk.till dawn.

Maximum Overdrive.

Salems Lot.

And, any Bela Lugosi film.

Edited by WRENCH

A wonderful, witty, horror comic style anthology film from the early 1970s...

Image result for vault of horror

A superb cast with special mention to Terry Thomas and Glynis Johns in "The Neat Job" :thumbs_up:

On 18/08/2018 at 00:20, Faze said:

Pause repeat :) 
Head exploding and the Sharon Stone leg crossing has the be the most paused moment in film history :)

Really look forward to the latest horror films, though I think we have been let down lately, the films have not been upto scratch.
The Ring and Grudge were good, the Final Destination films were a good idea.
Best one for me for a while was It Follows, great idea and well executed.

And it might be a strange choice, but the Dr Who episode with the Weeping Angels freaks the frick out of me.     

Hi Faze.

My son went through a phase of watching the " Final Destination" films. I think I watched about ten minutes of one. When you can predict what is going to happen well before it does, that did nothing for me. He's only 15 so I dare say I would have been the same at his age. 

Regards, Paul.:thumbsup: