• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Alan C

The last watch of the year.....honest!

It looks like I forgot to post this up. I bought it about six weeks ago, but then had to wait four weeks for it to be shipped from the factory in Switzerland, and then sent out to me. 

It is an Oris diver 65 Deauville blue and grey. I had bought one previously with the black dial and rubber strap, but when it came I hated the rubber strap so it went straight back. It made the whole thing feel cheap and nasty. I then was going to buy the one with the black and dark blue dial ring but I got such a good deal on this one I couldn’t resist. 

So, 40 mm I think wears really small and is thin as anything else I have. Comes on the bracelet which  is really comfortable to wear. It has a lovely Domed crystal which bends The numbers and markers on the dial into weird shapes. 

Overall I am extremely pleased with it so far, even though I haven’t just had the bracelet yet. The link pins are super stiff, so I don’t want to damage anything yet. 

It’s a bit of a change from the rest of the watches I have which seem to be much bigger. 

IMG_1493.JPG.8fe54cb08d598ce32608a86d7ae051de.JPGIMG_1494.JPG.f244512cecf38c3cd7eec90c98ef831e.JPGIMG_1492.JPG.694f3743faa2a98b1a72251a2e7bf16c.JPGIMG_1491.JPG.a3e6bbb0a8e498c4c22111b42763b0b9.JPGIMG_1498.JPG.fa46636ee92ec5b2cd6e6680e0d76353.JPGIMG_1497.JPG.2c441c19f96d47c62ff8e6e08fffd191.JPGIMG_1496.JPG.5816c376e5827cf1bdc5917e17ecea92.JPGIMG_1484.JPG.f1e282505f7b1a4e42c2519750254863.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I do like this mate. Oris do some cracking watches. Have been tempted by one or two of there pieces recently.

Really love the colours and the domed crystal makes the numbers look unlike anything else I have seen.

Enjoy your new purchase! 

• Thanks 1

You must be be the only person in the world who doesn’t like that Oris rubber strap.

it’s one of the best and most comfortable rubber straps i’ve ever worn, and suits the 60 vibe of the watch to a tee. Each to their own.

As for the pins, you need one of those threaded pin tools with the base plate. Set the bracelet down, line the pusher in the hole and turn the handle until the pin pops. Don’t lose the collar from the middle. 

• Thanks 1

Looks really nice. By the looks of it it seems to be a remake/reissue of the early vintage Swiss divers of the 1960s.

The case, the hands, the dial, even the crown and the bezel. Shame that they didn't make it 200m WR, then again, those early divers didn't have a screw down crown either (talking about the ones that influenced this watch, not the early Submariners and such) and didn't have high WR.

By the way, that rubber strap that it came on is one of the most iconic rubber diving watch straps. It's a Tropic rubber strap and they were used on Rolex watches and various other high end or mid-level watches.

The original vintage ones can sell for over a hundred dollars. The Rolex issued ones are even pricier.

Oris-Sixty-Five-Diver-Blue-Grey-4.jpg?w=

Edited by gimli
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, it'salivejim said:

You must be be the only person in the world who doesn’t like that Oris rubber strap.

it’s one of the best and most comfortable rubber straps i’ve ever worn, and suits the 60 vibe of the watch to a tee. Each to their own.

As for the pins, you need one of those threaded pin tools with the base plate. Set the bracelet down, line the pusher in the hole and turn the handle until the pin pops. Don’t lose the collar from the middle. 

Thanks. I was a bit surprised myself that I didn’t like it, but when I took the watch out the box  I instantly disliked the whole thing. I had heard loads of positive reviews about the strap as well.

It just seemed a bit flimsy and too stretchy for me. When I put it on my wrist it was either too tight or too loose. I couldn’t get it to fit properly.  Hopefully I won’t have the same problem the bracelet.

I have a birthday coming up and I have dropped up lots of hints about getting watch tools as presents. With any luck I will get one of those chores and be able to sort it mysel.

• Like 1

These things are just gorgeous!

Saw a variant of this (either on here or just browsing) with a bronze edginh to the bezel, so so so so so sorely tempted apart from a few recent purchases and a desire for a black bay 58.

23482_0173377474354-0751730_horizontale.

Watches are so addictive and without rhyme or reason really!

Edited by Jonesinamillion

I am going to be a cat among the pigeons here, made worse by the fact that I am an Oris fan. I looked a few times at the pics of your Oris, dear Alan, and genuinely tried to be enthusiastic about the design but all came to naught. I feel that with this model, a number of disparate design elements, (including the font used for the dial numerals, the two-coloured dial, the very black bezel and calendar window, and the hand shapes and silver metal colour), have been incorporated without the sort of sensitivity I would like in a watch of this quality - the overall design just doesn't have sufficient coherence for me personally. I am also not very keen on crystals that readily distort the numerals/dial edge.

This is only a personal view, and I do have a caveat that the watch may actually look better in reality as opposed to in photographs.  I have found that contrary to expectations, even high quality photographs of good watches quite frequently do not do the watch justice. There is nothing quite like seeing the watch in person, even though as a writer on watches, this is obviously by no means always the case. I have a feeling that if I handled your new Oris, I would come to appreciate it more.:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I am going to be a cat among the pigeons here, made worse by the fact that I am an Oris fan. I looked a few times at the pics of your Oris, dear Alan, and genuinely tried to be enthusiastic about the design but all came to naught. I feel that with this model, a number of disparate design elements, (including the font used for the dial numerals, the two-coloured dial, the very black bezel and calendar window, and the hand shapes and silver metal colour), have been incorporated without the sort of sensitivity I would like in a watch of this quality - the overall design just doesn't have sufficient coherence for me personally. I am also not very keen on crystals that readily distort the numerals/dial edge.

This is only a personal view, and I do have a caveat that the watch may actually look better in reality as opposed to in photographs.  I have found that contrary to expectations, even high quality photographs of good watches quite frequently do not do the watch justice. There is nothing quite like seeing the watch in person, even though as a writer on watches, this is obviously by no means always the case. I have a feeling that if I handled your new Oris, I would come to appreciate it more.:)

Surely it's all these quirks, ideosyncrassies (?), uses of contrasting colours, font backing, non standard shapes etc... That make the watch what it is? A venture from the norm, interesting and therefore, beautiful!?

The Oris 65 is a solid classic for me. I must have looked at these a thousand times. Nice colour choice by the way. Nice!

4 hours ago, The Canon Man said:

But not the blue plastic pin pusher you see for sale everywhere.

Originally quoted wrong post.:oops:

That’s the one I use and it works fine. I have replaced the pin a few times though :laugh:

As for the marmite design, I hated it when it was released - stupid fonts, crap WR, no bracelet (that didn’t arrive until a year later) - but the more I saw it, the more I understood it. I’m a sucker for vintage looks so I had to try it.

And @gimli it does have a screw down crown so will be good for the 100m :)

Dear @Jonesinamillion,I am not exactly known to be conservative in my choices of watch and I like the quirky and idiosyncratic as much as the next man. However, it sometimes boils down to how these characteristics or idiosyncrasies are handled and put together in a design. For me personally, the Oris discussed here just lacks aesthetic integrity because there has been a sort of "mix and match" approach that has not quite worked as a unified visual statement. For example, on the Oris, I don't like the mix of the conventional numerals on a black bezel in combination with an interesting use of that font for the dial numerals, especially as the dial colour is not related to the bezel colour. 

As you will have seen, this Oris has received many commendations on this thread, and I certainly do not view my own opinions as being the last word.:biggrin:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear @Jonesinamillion,I am not exactly known to be conservative in my choices of watch and I like the quirky and idiosyncratic as much as the next man. However, it sometimes boils down to how these characteristics or idiosyncrasies are handled and put together in a design. For me personally, the Oris discussed here just lacks aesthetic integrity because there has been a sort of "mix and match" approach that has not quite worked as a unified visual statement. For example, on the Oris, I don't like the mix of the conventional numerals on a black bezel in combination with an interesting use of that font for the dial numerals, especially as the dial colour is not related to the bezel colour. 

As you will have seen, this Oris has received many commendations on this thread, and I certainly do not view my own opinions as being the last word.:biggrin:

The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things!

• Like 1