• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Turpinr

Dead tag f1

A couple of weeks ago i noticed my 2008 tag heuer wac111a.ba0850 had stopped so i replaced the battery. 

On Friday i was about to go out walking with our dog and noticed it had stopped again, so again, i replaced the battery. 

An hour later after walking a few miles it stopped again. 

The original 'dead' battery was just that, but I've tested its replacement and that's ok. 

Anybody any ideas? 

How old is the watch ? What movement does it have ?

Quartz movements (the good quality ones) can and should be serviced as well.

1 minute ago, gimli said:

How old is the watch ? What movement does it have ?

Quartz movements (the good quality ones) can and should be serviced as well.

The watch is 2008 and had, uptil 3 weeks ago, only 2 battery changes. 

I don't know what the movement is as i took it to a shop nearby who's changed batteries for me in the past. 

I didn't know when i dropped it off that the batteries were ok. 

I'll probably get it seviced anyway 

The movement itself is quite possibly cheap to buy and replace (most likely some ETA quartz) so if they find a problem with it, they usually don't bother with servicing and repairing it and just replace the whole movement.

Sometimes the prices is pretty similar.

16 minutes ago, gimli said:

The movement itself is quite possibly cheap to buy and replace (most likely some ETA quartz) so if they find a problem with it, they usually don't bother with servicing and repairing it and just replace the whole movement.

I'd heard the same thing 're the cost of servicing and replacing the movement.

Cheers:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Turpinr said:

A couple of weeks ago i noticed my 2008 tag heuer wac111a.ba0850 had stopped so i replaced the battery. 

On Friday i was about to go out walking with our dog and noticed it had stopped again, so again, i replaced the battery. 

An hour later after walking a few miles it stopped again. 

The original 'dead' battery was just that, but I've tested its replacement and that's ok. 

Anybody any ideas? 

Had exactly the same problem with a tag I gave my son, joined here and found Simon2. Absolutely fantastic guy, sorted the problem with new movement. I wasn't bothered that the movement wasn't tag as the watch was going to my son and kept in the family. The watch wasn't worth a trip to the tag dealer. The original movement wasn't worth servicing as it couldn't be sure to last so as I said I went for new movement. Hope I have helped a little. Here is the watch, father and son. Mine is the silver face and my sons the granite

IMG_0020.JPG.71c7ec1dca87633f1ea24ea1a0705ff6.JPG

• Like 1

They're both bonnie watches and i like white faces plus I'm a fan of Tag. 

Is Simon2 localish to you and what sort of price?? 

I'd emailed a bloke near me (ian walsh) who has a good rep, over another issue and might give him a go

Edited by Turpinr

I had to post my watch to Simon2 and had no problems. He's in Essex where as I'm north west. Think I tried Ian Walsh and when I spoke to him he wanted to go down the repair option, I wasn't thrilled with this as had concern over longevity of the movement. As I recall I think the price was £40-50, not sure if his prices have changed, but can't remember off hand. Simon2 did send the original movement back to me so I could show it did have original from new, but like I said the watch was passed down to my son and hopefully he won't sell it so another movement was no issue to me. Like I said I'm more than happy with Simon2 and wouldn't hesitate to use him again. He's well respected on here and has his own section. :thumbsup:

What movement did he put in as to replace the original? 

Where abouts in the North West are you?? Darwen, where Ian Walsh is, is only 6 or 7 miles away. 

7 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

What movement did he put in as to replace the original? 

Where abouts in the North West are you?? Darwen, where Ian Walsh is, is only 6 or 7 miles away. 

Sorry I can't remember but he said it was a good replacement. I'm just outside Nantwich Cheshire. If your bothered about using the post then Ian might be best for you. I can't comment on him as never used him. If it helps I used Royal Mail delivery, it was insured and could be tracked. If your going to ask Simon2 I would pm or message him first as I think he is a busy man especially being on twf.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 14:17, gimli said:

I took it for its repair on Friday and was told it woud be serviced, re oiled, pressure tested and would be ready in 3 weeks. 

He didn't mention a new movement and the cost is more than i was expecting 

Sorry to hear that. Hope that the movement itself isn't faulty and that it just needed a service.

If a component is faulty or damaged getting it serviced won't solve the problem...

Quartz movements that don't run correctly usually don't require a service but a replacement or repair. They can run just fine, unserviced, for many years, just like mechanicals.

The cost for a service was quoted at £10 less than an automatic which was a surprise. 

How would i stand if, say, the oscillator needs replacing and the already (i think) high bill goes up. Would i be able to call a halt to his work, pay him and take it elsewhere? 

Ian Walsh phoned this morning to tell me my watch was ready and has had a new movement fitted. 

I think he's had it just over 2 weeks, so not bad on that score.