• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Hickory Dickory Dock

Manual Timex Watch - Not made in Taiwan ?

I looking for further information on mechanical Timex watches - this example in the picture is - I believe - a hand wind example (not automatic although it did start moving when tried on the wrist without having to wind?), and indicates that it's made in Great Britain. It's for sale nearby - is something like this a good quality timepiece? It's certainly in good cosmetic condition!

Online I noticed other examples that looked exactly like this that were stamped made in Taiwan which I thought was odd.

44088377382_b39ff20913_c.jpg

42328137660_a03d2057a1_c.jpg

• Like 1

Not the highest quality but they are collectable and can be serviced/repaired if sent to someone who knows what they are doing.

Greg at woodland technical is the expert on these.

I have one or two Timex vintage pieces.

18 hours ago, PC-Magician said:

Not the highest quality but they are collectable and can be serviced/repaired if sent to someone who knows what they are doing.

Greg at woodland technical is the expert on these.

I have one or two Timex vintage pieces.

Thanks - I assume this is NOT an automatic watch ??

3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Thanks for showing that, HDD, and for your comments, PC-Magician. I just wondered if you have a firm date on that model - perhaps Mel might also know.:)

Believe the last 2 digits of the number on the face are year of manufacture, so 1980 on the watch pictured.

• Thanks 1

@mel  

N.B. An “automatic” would have a rotor on the movement for self-winding.  :yes: 

Edited by Chromejob

Yes sorry, I'm a newbie and I'm learning - So many different movements - not sure if there is a 'best' -:

wind-up, self wind (automatic), kinetic (automatic that charges capacitor), Solar - like the Citizen eco-drive, simply battery quartz - is that it ??? Anyone running watches by biodegradable waste yet?

The numbers to the left and right of the "6" marker are  - - to the left, the catalogue and model mnemonic, to the right they do indeed indicate movement and year of manufacture. Quote the numbers and  we can give you more info. :yes:

Taiwan assumed production of mechanicals as theyw ere deing phased out in the UK - bear in mind TIMEX were the largest maker of watches worldwide during that period, selling production runs of millions!